Sidemount training southern Cal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seansrs36

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So anyone know of any instructors that do this in southern California? I am going to Truk in 2014. Would this be a better way of getting extended bottom time w/o getting into tech?

In terms of BCD, what type of BCD would be needed? I currently have a Ranger LTD.

I'd advise going the conventional progression of learning backmount AL80's doubles in standard backplate & wings configuration, with at least an Intro to Tech and beginning Overhead/Wreck training for the short timeframe to your Truk trip.

Otherwise I recommend Kelli Shaw at UTD down in San Diego as your basic Instructor, along with purchasing the Z-system for sidemount. Either conventional backmount or sidemount (or combination of both starting with backmount doubles if you had at least two years time), expect a considerable outlay of monies for both training and new equipment.

The other more economical option is just use what gear/kit you have now for strictly NDL profiles on single tank, with some additional recreational wreck and nitrox classes in the meantime as needed. . . (I see from your profile that you are into UW photography --you'll have plenty of bottom time with your current single tank configuration to take beautiful scenic shots of wrecks like the Shinkoku Maru Tanker, and the Fujikawa Maru).

Plenty of bottom time? I am an air hog and on the Odyssey you only have 108s I believe. I might bring my 40 cf pony when I go on this trip. Here in so cal, I currently have a 149 hehe. I don't ever want to risk running out of air.

Then use the Odyssey's conventional manifolded double AL80's backmount, and get some training beforehand on how to use them, along with some Advanced Nitrox and Decompression Procedures courses. Eanx30 is the Truk Odyssey's standard complimentary nitrox mix. Also, they have AL30's & 40's stage/deco tanks to "pony-up" if you really insist on using it that way. . .

Again work with Kelli Shaw above -either backmount or sidemount- to work on a more efficient gas consumption rate.

+1 for Kelli!

If you want to only extend BT (excluding the training discussion) why not just sling an Al 80. All you need to pack, along with your single tank gear, is a stage kit. If you can sling a 40 you can sling an 80 - they act the same.

But if you want to learn SM for SM sake, go for it; it's not rocket surgery - but stay away from that Z system... :)

So anyone know of any instructors that do this in southern California? I am going to Truk in 2014. Would this be a better way of getting extended bottom time w/o getting into tech?

In terms of BCD, what type of BCD would be needed? I currently have a Ranger LTD.

Extended bottom time, especially in the typical Truk depths means getting into tech. You still need to watch your NDLs.j

In terms of BCD, almost any BCD can be modified to work as a sidemount rig. However, you really need to understand sidemount and have some experience in it before you try to build your own sidemount rig. Or take a class from an instructor who is willing to discuss various rigs and modifications. That being said, there are a few sidemount rigs already on the market that work great with minimal modifications. All you would need to do is customize them for yourself and the diving you want to do. Again, best done with an instructor or mentor who knows sidemount and has an open mind about it. The best rig for you really depends on what exactly you want to do with your sidemount diving.

Kelli (or anyone else at UTD) can push you in the right direction for side mount. If, of course, you're convinced that sidemount is a good/necessary way to go (I don't). Get some tech training in back mounted doubles. Put in a few hundred hours in that config. If you find there are places you can't go with that kit that you absolutely need to be - then consider side mount.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom