Question Looking for a new light for sidemount (and future diving considerations)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dann-Oh

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm currently a sidemount recreational diver. I'm looking to a nicer light to replace my Sola 1200 (older version that is only a flood beam). I have been trying to decide between the OrcaToch D620 or D630 or Light Monkey 5-12SM.

I understand these two units are completely different price points and probably targeted at different users. I am looking to get into decompression diving in the near future so my dive times are going to start getting extended which is why I want a "nicer and larger" light. I do a lot of Southern California beach diving.

Would you guys suggest these (or different lights) for my use case?

Edit: would anyone who has these lights happen to be in the Inland Empire region of Southern California, USA? If so maybe we could meet up for a beach dive to try out the light(s).

D620 is not good for technical primary light IMO, 14* is way too wide of a beam angle.
The D630 is fine if you feel like you want/need a canister light, and I really don't think the LM is worth any more money than the D630 since it has a smaller battery, isn't going to be as bright, and is $300 more.

If you like your L&M, then the Sola Dive Pro 2000 is a good light for one dive per day. You only have 45mins on high, but you only need it on high for your bottom time and then you usually kick them down for deco, especially in open water.
If you want a longer burn time and/or plan on 2x dives in a day then I would look at the Dive Rite LX20+ which will give you 2hrs on high and you can always keep a spare set of 18650's or even a spare battery sled on the boat for easy battery change.

I wouldn't go for a "cheap" canister light, especially in sidemount because it's usually more trouble than it's worth until you really need the burn times and then you'll be into a UW Light Dude.

If you like your L&M, then the Sola Dive Pro 2000 is a good light for one dive per day. You only have 45mins on high, but you only need it on high for your bottom time and then you usually kick them down for deco, especially in open water.

Ahh that's the kicker, when I do get to dive I spend all day diving which is anywhere from 3-4 dives. my next diveing day is 2/11 and we have 4 dives (including a night dive) scheduled for the day.

Ahh that's the kicker, when I do get to dive I spend all day diving which is anywhere from 3-4 dives. my next diveing day is 2/11 and we have 4 dives (including a night dive) scheduled for the day.

LX20+ with a spare set of batteries would be my only recommended stopgap until you buy a UWLD.

Hi. I’m using D630 since some time, it has vast runtime and the beam is focused. The canister can be used as powerbank. The power cord is long enough to clip at the bottom of sidemount rig.

Someone on this board or cavediver.net was selling one of the smaller LM 12W canister lights at a good price, you might want to try to see if that's still available.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom