Sidemount MSR-like wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any additional weight? I'm also carrying a can light and multiple reels. But no additional weight.

Don't get me wrong these things look really nice and I wish I had one when I made my first harness, but it seems like a step backwards.

There are alot of nice, low profile Sidemount rigs out on the market right now that are made by big name companies with insurance and all that stuff.

This is in no way against tiki bill, and they do really look nice but why go with an MSR bag rather than something else alittle more robust. Steve B stopped using these awhile ago didn't he?

Don't get me wrong these things look really nice and I wish I had one when I made my first harness, but it seems like a step backwards.

There are alot of nice, low profile Sidemount rigs out on the market right now that are made by big name companies with insurance and all that stuff.

This is in no way against tiki bill, and they do really look nice but why go with an MSR bag rather than something else alittle more robust. Steve B stopped using these awhile ago didn't he?

Steve B didn't have power inflator, corrugated hose, and a dump on his. These are great for diving aluminum 80's. Why buy a bigger more expensive wing if you don't need it? We all can agree that one wing or rig doesn't suit every diving application. This is another tool to have in your dive bag. It packs real small, inexpensive, and can even make a great backup should you shred one of your wings while on vacation. And I'll tell you what, the quality of this thing rivals any of the competition. For $55,
theres more reasons to have it than no to!

Fair enough. They do look real nice.

---------- Post added December 18th, 2013 at 11:00 AM ----------

Fair enough. It does look real nice.

Yeah, they're awesome and very fun to dive. Treat yourself to a nice Christmas gift.

Fair enough. They do look real nice.

Don't get me wrong these things look really nice and I wish I had one when I made my first harness, but it seems like a step backwards... why go with an MSR bag rather than something else a little more robust.

Personally, I have used MSR bag to provide unobtrusive redundant buoyancy with single-bladder rigs (where required to have that by agency/course standards). As a stand-alone bladder, well.... there isn't anything else on the market that is as minimalist/lightweight/streamlined.

3lbs for the wetsuit, plus 2.5lbs per Al80 to account for buoyancy when empty, so I can hold stops on ascent.

Okay. I don't have any additional weight. I used to use weight on AL80s until I got stuck in a restriction because of the weight. It came off after that dive and I just move the clip from the back to the front now...and don't get stuck! Well, at least not because of a weight anyway... I'm neutral with empty tanks in a 1mm at the end of the dive so no weight needed at all.

---------- Post added December 24th, 2013 at 08:02 PM ----------

I have lots of sidemount rigs - Armadillo, SMS100, SMS50, Nomad, Nomad LT, Razor with Trim Pillow and some home brews. I just got my MSR from Bill and I see some uses for it. The LT and SMS50 are a little bulky for my tastes and sometimes the Trim Pillow just doesn't have enough lift.

I'll be bringing quite a few of these wings to the Cebu, Philippines in May if anyone should want one. This way you won't have to worry about hefty shipping charges.

Here's a pic of the wing with two aluminum tanks at the beginning of the dive. It doesn't get more streamlined than that!
image.jpg
Thanks to Belgian from CDF.

I'll be in Hong Kong and the Philippines in May if anyone should want one.

Back
Top Bottom