Sidemount intro to cave instruction

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Curt Bowen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
What is your opinion about an intro to cave course starting with sidemount and not back mounted cylinders?

In other words, Learn sidemount from the start.

Remember, sidemount does not have to be used in small cave only.

But at the Full cave level I think no Problem.
At the intro level the main Idea is to get comfortable in the cave and to practice the skills so you can do them without thinking if the need arrives. To add the task loading of sidemount would hinder you doing this. You can do intro on a single tank with an H or Y valve. Besides I don't think you'll find any instructor willing to teach you sidemount at the intro level. At least not here in America. I want to do side mount when I do my full cave but there are a bunch of steps to go through. It's recommended that you do Advanced nitrox and Deco before you do full cave and be doing those classes you will get the basics of side mount because of the slinging the deco and O2 bottles. But you will still have back gas and it don't have to be doubles. You'll get use to swapping out bottles and monitoring gases. The task loading is great for this course. Especially if you tailor it for cave diving. after you complete the AvNitrox/Deco course I see no problem with someone stating full cave with sidemount.
Just my 2 PSI worth.
Fred

Curt Bowen:
What is your opinion about an intro to cave course starting with sidemount and not back mounted cylinders?

In other words, Learn sidemount from the start.

Remember, sidemount does not have to be used in small cave only.

That's the way most UK cave divers have learned since the early 60's when the CDG abandoned rebreathers (temporarily) and walking along the bottom (though old habits die hard). Many British cave divers had no formal diving qualifications before taking up cave diving so will have learned to dive sidemount from the start.

Martyn Farr runs a commercial TDI overhead agency which does all its training in UK sites and teaches sidemount from Cavern through to Full Cave.

Duncan

If you can get enough students to get it going and keep it going I think it is a great idea.

I don't think there is any good reason for someone to learn backmount doubles if they really want to be diving sidemount.
The sooner someone learns what they are going to use the less bad habits (or simply responses that don't apply) to unlearn.

Hey Fred, you DO know who Curt Bowen is, don't you? :D
If you are not sure, take a look inside the cover of Advanced Diver Magazine.

First I've heard of his magazine too.
I'll have to take a look.
Just so you know my answer was directed at divers in general not just him. I do this because I don't the the background of the person.
Fred

No problem Fred.

Here in FL most people will do cavern and cave in backmount doubles but that is not the case everywhere.

If I were planning to do the kind of remote expeditions and tight caves that people like Curt and Duncan are are doing then I would almost certainly go directly to sidemount.

one of the biggest advantages of sidemount rather than doubles is transportation out of the water. Doubles are heavy and a funny shape to carry around. Singles are easier. I am thinking of switching to sidemount myself.

cancun mark:
one of the biggest advantages of sidemount rather than doubles is transportation out of the water. Doubles are heavy and a funny shape to carry around. Singles are easier. I am thinking of switching to sidemount myself.
This is the reason I'd rig sidemount.
Personally, I ain't squeezin' through *anything*.
Yeah, I know, I'm missing lots of gorgeous cave... but first I want to explore all the BIG ones :)
Rick

I don't like squeeze, if the pipe is smaller than 18" I ain't going in. :D

cancun mark:

I have dove nothing but sidemount now for around 2 years. I even broke all my doubles down into single sidemount cyclinders.

Reason why besides squeezing through little holes is.

In order of importance:

1. Ease of transport to the dive site
2. I can reach and fix any problem underwater, alone
3. I can always get singles in other countries or on a live aboard charter.
4. I feel sidemount cylinders are a much safer way to cave dive
5. The Armadillo harness is the most streamlined, cleanest harness with a BCD available. Why, because we designed it to be.
6. We have profected the gear configuration (hoses and regs) to be the cleanest possible to prevent snags and clutter.

But back to the main question. I feel sidemount cave diving is the way of the future for cave exploration and I have several new divers moving into the cave diving scene. They are going to be joining my team on some up-coming jungle expeditions and I feel that starting them right into sidemount will be better for them.

I dont see why they would need to learn doubles when I think sidemount is easier and safer.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom