Question Cave Diving Courses advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can't say I have cave dived anywhere BUT Florida and Mexico, but I can't imagine they are the top two options for someone in Egypt to take a cave course. Sure, people come from all over the world to dive Florida and Mexico caves, but there are so many options in Europe, as others have mentioned. Are SBers showing a North American bias?

Go train where you will dive, and ideally train with a shop/instructor you are likely to continue diving with if all goes well. Will make your life easier.

As to one course or splitting it up, once you have the instructor selected ask them how they prefer to teach it. Go with that.

... but there are so many options in Europe, as others have mentioned.
Most of the options mentioned aren't even actual options for the guy asking. Malta only has caverns, Croatia doesn't have caves open for tourist diving afiak. The other places mentioned, like Italy (mainland), Spanish coast, Hungary either don't have enough different caves in one area or are not suitable for tourist type training.
It's really only the Lot in France and Sardinia, Italy when in season. And it's debatable if the Lot is enough for a proper full cave class as navigation in the tourist caves is extremely simple.

You can train with some of the best cave instructors in the world in these European countries.
Can you name some? What makes somebody one of the best?

Most of the options mentioned aren't even actual options for the guy asking. Malta only has caverns, Croatia doesn't have caves open for tourist diving afiak. The other places mentioned, like Italy (mainland), Spanish coast, Hungary either don't have enough different caves in one area or are not suitable for tourist type training.
It's really only the Lot in France and Sardinia, Italy when in season. And it's debatable if the Lot is enough for a proper full cave class as navigation in the tourist caves is extremely simple.
Spot-on. But, as I think you implied, the Lot should be okay for an intro-to-cave; there is a sufficient variety of caves with relatively easy access and many instructors.

In Sardinia, I only know Cala Gonone's area. It's cool, with at least four systems diveable at the intro level, a terrific natural environment (if one wants to take a break and go hiking), and fantastic food. But the caves are reachable only by boat, making diving a bit more expensive than the Lot.

I only know two centers offering cave training, Base1, and Protec; there might be others. Base1 is amazing, but it is a GUE center and I think it wouldn't be the right option for @Mohowael if he wants to stick to sidemount and avoid fundamentals. I don't know Protec, but the owner does very advanced diving, and I assume he is an excellent instructor - it could be the right option.

@Mohowael, in your situation, I would probably go for an intro to cave in the Lot, then gain some experience and, after one or two years, full cave in Sardinia. About choosing the instructor... Well, this is a tough one, but I suggest to first focus on the place if travelling is a real issue for you; in the end, you'll find top-notch instructors around these dive spots.

www.prodive.it

Stefano Bianchelli in Sardinia, IT. He is very well regarded and does it all.

+39 3465031425 Stefano Bianchelli
info@prodive.it

www.prodive.it

Stefano Bianchelli in Sardinia, IT. He is very well regarded and does it all.

+39 3465031425 Stefano Bianchelli
info@prodive.it

Didn't know the guy... But he doesn't do caves (at least, they are not sponsored on his website)

@Mohowael , forget my post above. Base1 is indeed a GUE center, but they invite relatively often non-GUE instructors. I think Audrey Cudel, for example, who is a 100% side-mount instructor, went there to teach a couple of times... If I were you, I would evaluate all the options, so drop a message to all centers in the Lot and Sardinia, then look for an instructor, and then decide

Whish you the best cave dives!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom