Sidemount Harness Webbing - Anyone tried lightweight/crotch-strap material?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Title says it all... I'm pondering putting together a new sidemount harness (Razor style) with crotch-strap webbing. Super-light, flexible and comfortable.

Anyone tried this already? Thoughts? Feedback from experience?

I haven't used it for the entire harness but for the spine to crotch piece, I'm curious to see how it works.

My first harness was a slightly modified climbing harness. Worked reasonably well for warm water stuff.

Title says it all... I'm pondering putting together a new sidemount harness (Razor style) with crotch-strap webbing. Super-light, flexible and comfortable.

Anyone tried this already? Thoughts? Feedback from experience?

My Hollis has a really light crotch strap and seems to work fine. If I need a heavy crotch strap, I'm probably skydiving or doing something wrong . . . :cool:

Considering that cave line is good for a couple of hundred pounds, I'm guessing that even thin webbing is good for thousands.

flots.

The crotch strap is already soft material. Was going to experiment with the spine strap too. What I was thinking though... was the whole harness is lightweight (crotch-strap) webbing.

I can see that the lightweight stuff probably won't have the longevity of resin impregnated thick webbing - but I'm prepared to swap out the harness more regularly for the sake of a very light-weight, space efficient and comfortable harness. I was just wondering if anyone had tried - and if so, were there any unforeseen issues that arose from it?

Is soft webbing too pliable to offer correct support at the hip or shoulder D-rings etc?

Does it twist and turn...and generally become a P.I.T.A?

...that sort of thing...

I'm not imagining that the stiffness of the webbing would be that critical in a sidemount rig? In back-mount, on a backplate, it doesn't matter so much... but, if workable, I can see distinct benefits from softer webbing on a sidemount. Unless there's something I've not considered?

The crotch strap is already soft material. Was going to experiment with the spine strap too. What I was thinking though... was the whole harness is lightweight (crotch-strap) webbing.

I can see that the lightweight stuff probably won't have the longevity of resin impregnated thick webbing - but I'm prepared to swap out the harness more regularly for the sake of a very light-weight, space efficient and comfortable harness. I was just wondering if anyone had tried - and if so, were there any unforeseen issues that arose from it?

It won't break or wear out quickly, but if you use floppy webbing for the shoulder strap, belt, etc, the d-rings get really hard to feel and use.

You could always try it. All you have to lose is a few feet of webbing and some time.

flots.

I tried soft webbing once. Biggest problem was that I couldn't get a D-ring to stay put unless it was sewn in. A normal tri-slide just couldn't get enough purchase.

It also tended to get tangled when I wasn't wearing it.

I have seen several mock-ups and one off BCDs use not just a single flat strand but a weave of softer material. It worked better than I thought it would, but:

1. Adjustments were more than slightly difficult.

2. It seems like comfort and stability are a balancing act. The more comfortable the 'webbing' the less more stretchy it feels and acts.

All in all, it seems like there is a reason beyond tradition why comfort generally comes from the foam lined stuff that goes under stiffer material

Comfort is a factor, although I don't find stiffer webbing uncomfortable. Bulk is an issue though - crotch-strap stiff webbing would fold down much more easily for stowage/transport. My sidemount rig (razor-esque) is pretty small as it is, the webbing forms quite a lot of the bulk. Softer webbing would just screw up into my day-sack for carry-on... would be lovely.

I tried soft webbing once. Biggest problem was that I couldn't get a D-ring to stay put unless it was sewn in. A normal tri-slide just couldn't get enough purchase.

"Normal" was a toothed tri-glide? I've never had a problem with retainers/glides on the crotch strap - but they weren't quite so load-bearing.

It also tended to get tangled when I wasn't wearing it.

Kinda the potential that I think would make it good for travel (not the tangle... just the ability to cram in light and small).

"Normal" was a toothed tri-glide? I've never had a problem with retainers/glides on the crotch strap - but they weren't quite so load-bearing.

It was. Metal not plastic too. There just wasn't anything to get the teeth into. The surface was much smoother.

Your milage may vary.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom