First BP/W build

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just bought my first BPW and went through similar tasks / banging head against the wall over the sheer mad amount of options and customizability of it all. I ended up buying the Xdeep Zen simply because it was readily available at a very good price and I knew others who dive it and had a chance to have a look at it in the wild as it were. I was originally going down the route of a full custom system, but ended up confusing myself and overthinking the whole situation. Id go to a shop if possible, try what they have available. If you find a comfortable fit and its a good price go for it. You can custom it as time goes on and you get used to the pros and cons of what you bought. Have done a few dives with my zen system now and still learning what I like and don't like at the moment. But buying a completed system saved me a royal head ache as I noted earlier I was over thinking the whole thing and confusing myself. Good luck and they are worth it

In terms of crotch strap comfort/looseness or tightness, what works (at least for me) is making sure your harness comes perpendicular to backplate, parallel to ground ( not angled downwards) preferably/possibly above the navel.

Like others, I have never been bothered by my normal crotch strap. It’s not so tight that you’d feel it if the harness is adjusted correctly.

If you have a weighted STA, that reduces a lot the amount of weight to put on your belt, but the weighted STA cannot be dropped in case of emergency like you’d do with a belt.

The Y strap is a marketing gimmick. A standard (2" soft) strap does not hurt.
Depends on the needs. I find the 2 D-rings on the Y strap to be super useful (e.g., to hang a but pouch)

Depends on the needs. I find the 2 D-rings on the Y strap to be super useful (e.g., to hang a but pouch)
You can hang a butt pouch on a standard plate. In fact aren't most of them set up to use the holes drilled around the perimeter of the plate?

Xdeep added the split strap to create a marketing differentiation, not because it was a demonstrably superior solution for the average diver. Of course it's possible to imagine configurations where a split strap would be more convenient, but the OP isn't asking about anything exotic.

Update on build:

I have found that I am not a fan of the one piece basic harness, aka the hogarthian. It actually made me feel claustrophobic when I tried it with no tank out of water. It was a very strange experience for me since I can do tight spaces and caves just fine. Now, I am looking to either buy a new harness or mod the basic HOG to have shoulder buckles.

I’ve also found that my barrel of a chest means that I need a chest strap to keep the shoulder straps from cutting the blood flow to my arms. Haha. So far I am leaning towards a harness design such as the Hollis Elite 2. I like that it has the chest straps as well as the SS hardware that connects the shoulder straps to the waist and it can adjust forwards or backwards on the waist.

Does anyone know where I can buy these (see image) without buying a full harness? I have pretty decent google skills but I can’t seem to find them anywhere.

1A873133-C6B1-4852-BA9E-D18A6806AEE6.jpeg

I use these

ive been using regular heavy D rings for the chest pivot point where I put the chest strap, I just got these
and will be trying them out soon.

There are also these

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom