First BP/W build

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow…

This is why I love this forum! Got 3 responses in under 30min! You all rock! Thanks a million for the help.

How much space did you have between the one-piece strap and chest?

... I have found that I am not a fan of the one piece basic harness, aka the hogarthian. It actually made me feel claustrophobic when I tried it with no tank out of water. It was a very strange experience for me since I can do tight spaces and caves just fine. Now, I am looking to either buy a new harness or mod the basic HOG to have shoulder buckles. ...
Hmmm. I wonder if you had the shoulder straps too tight. For the Hogarthian style, the shoulder straps are worn loose--loose enough that you can slide your arms in and out without having to contort yourself too much--until you cinch up the waist strap, which causes the crotch strap to pull everything down, snug.

I shouldn't think that a properly-fitted Hogarthian rig will leave anyone feeling claustrophobic.

NOTE: I don't think you will get a good sense for how things really feel unless you are wearing a cylinder, and you are in the water.

BTW, when I first began wearing a BP/W (with doubles, in ~1993), I wore my shoulder straps pretty snug, and I used a shoulder release, and I did NOT use a crotch strap. So, I would jam a shoulder in one shoulder strap, and then tighten down the other (open) shoulder strap using the shoulder strap release (a weight belt buckle). Then I would snug the waist strap. (This is essentially how I wore the plastic blow-molded backpacks that I used during my open water training in 1986.) I dove this way for several years using my double HP100's and HP120's.

Eventually I began using the Hogarthian style.

rx7diver

@CanonDiver just to make sure did you adjust your one piece harness this way:

If you adjust it correctly it will be quite loose: you should be able to slip in and out of the harness by putting your elbow in to get in or hand n to get out.

Like all the above, my first thought was "He's got it too tight." Second thought too.

How could it be claustrophobic if both shoulder straps are slightly loose as described on #24?
I am hoping there is other reason.
Something to learn.

Update on build:

I have found that I am not a fan of the one piece basic harness, aka the hogarthian. It actually made me feel claustrophobic when I tried it with no tank out of water. It was a very strange experience for me since I can do tight spaces and caves just fine. Now, I am looking to either buy a new harness or mod the basic HOG to have shoulder buckles.
Get a Sub Gravity Adjustable harness, clean, simple and no plastic. I love mine.

Back
Top Bottom