sidemount for deep diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

just considering different gear setups before i buy something,

If you have a couple of regs and a good BC, then most likely that you can begin experiencing SM without the need to buy anything other than a piece of bungee, and a bit of hardware (if you don't have it already).

A simple setup will let you practice and get the idea in OW dives, then you can decide whether it is good for you and you'd like to have a better, or more personalized rig for other types of diving.

I think he's trying to communicate... but I'm not sure

Seemed like a pretty simple question to me: Where do you carry your stages? Sorry you're having trouble understanding it

Telling me where they can be carried without stating a preference or which situation you prefer which position for isn't answering the question

Anyway, forget I asked :shakehead:

thinking about sidemount and is it practical for deco dives.
Yes, it is practical for deco dives. (It is also practical for non-deco, OW diving.)

ok. Nothing wrong with having a sidemount rig in your repitoire.
But understand our concern... anyone ready to buy a sidemount rig and dive sidemount wouldn't generally be asking about its appropriateness for use on deco dives.
:)
Rick
It's not exactly news but sidemount as a OW configuration is catching on.
In that regard you have to recognize that there is a difference between diving sidemount and sidemount diving in a cave environment and that makes your statement more or less irrellevant.

I share the opinion expressed above that if I were just getting into cave diving, and in particular if I had not come to cave diving with a decade of back mounted technical diving experience, I'd start in sidemount. You can go anywhere in sidemount that you can go in back mount but the reverse is not true, so why choose to start with a much more limited configuration if you'd have to learn either one from scratch anyway?

In that regard, if given the option, I'd start in sidemount in OW, or at least start with a nomad that could be used for single tank backmounted Ow dives and then readily convert to sidemount use with doubles.

I do agree that just having a sidemount configuration does not in any way mean you are ready to tackle caves that require sidemount, but when you get to that point, the transition will be a lot easier if you are just refining/adidng additional sidemount skills as opposed to transitioning from backmount.

In that regard, I get the impression that the OP is asking if it makes sense to start in sidemount for deep offshore diving. It does to a point.

--------

The configuration itself is very comfortable and the gas management requirements are minimal - 2 reg swaps per dive are all that is required, although that is a hot button issue as many SM divers prefer 300-600 psi reg switches.

A potential downside for offshore boat diving is that the tanks are not as secure as in backmount. I am not sure I'd want to hop on and come up a pitching boat ladder in 6-8 ft seas as the less secure and more mobile tanks could cause smoe weight shifting and/or catch on the ladder at a very bad time. An option would be to remove the tanks and have them hauled aboard on a gear line, but that would require some coordination with a willing crew. Depending on the boat, gearing up could be difficult in roiygh weather as well compared to backmount.

DR recently came out with a set of ring bungees that carry the load to the D-ring with metal to metal connections and that might be very useful for boat diving in rough conditions.

In the other extreme, diving out of an RIB or similar small craft with low freeboard would be much easier in sidemount.

Stages can be top or bottom mounted, and you can do both at the same time allowing 4 stages in addition to your primary tanks and all of them are fairly clean and streamlined compared to how they would look in backmount.

A regular stage strap arrangement works but is not quite as clean as some of the other options. Search youtube for dive rite videos and you will find one that addresses a different approach developed by Edd Sorenson and demonstrated by Lamar Hires using a bungeed bolt snap on the neck and another on a cam band or hose clamp 15" down the tank.

The same applies to deco bottles. For a steel 45 I tend to use a regular stage strap but with the bolt snap move closer to the valve to keep it cleaner, or I'll use a choker on the boltsnap to accomplish the same thing. Generally in sidemount if bottom clipping a stage or deco bottle, you are working under the left or right bottle, so clipping is slightly harder than in backmount, but with properly located tanks and D-rings the difference is minor.

Hose arrangment on a stage can be another difference. In the normal DIR approach everything gets clipped on the left and that still works in sidemount to some degree but for trim purposes you will find yourself clipping and using stages on the right. I was not real hot on changing, but in my opinion, the hose routing is in fact much better if you tailor the hose routing and use a shorter hose to configure the reg for that side.

Generally, I prefer to top mount a stage as it stays out of the way better and I prefer to bottom mount a deco bottle as it gets dropped in the cavern anyway, is easy to see, identify, and it is easy to manually trace the hose when doing the gas switch. But that is a purely personal preference.

Seemed like a pretty simple question to me: Where do you carry your stages? Sorry you're having trouble understanding it

Telling me where they can be carried without stating a preference or which situation you prefer which position for isn't answering the question

Anyway, forget I asked :shakehead:

Top and bottom, does it get any simpler than that???? Preference is dictated by the dive itself. There is no perfect setup for all cases, once you get into that mindset, you might start understanding...

:mooner:

...but you seemed to have dismissed that chance already :p

Top and bottom, does it get any simpler than that???? Preference is dictated by the dive itself

So how about sharing which dives you think are suited to which preference?

There is no perfect setup for all cases

No ****, I didn't ask for a one size fits all answer

once you get into that mindset, you might start understanding...

Thanks for your helpful response

...but you seemed to have dismissed that chance already :p

Happily DA Aquamaster came to the rescue and answered my questions succinctly without the condescending non-informational attitude you display

Happily DA Aquamaster came to the rescue and answered my questions succinctly without the condescending non-informational attitude you display

Reffer back to post #12, answered :p

... You can go anywhere in sidemount that you can go in back mount...
I'd much rather negotiate hatches, hallways, doors and anything roughly round in back mount.
In open water it's only a matter of gas management, really. Indeed, I like the rock solid stability of side mounted steel tanks compared to the delicate balancing act of carrying your center of weight higher than your center of lift as you do with steel on your back.
-- however... back to my point, which was mostly missed, I think... that usually folks who are interested in carrying multiple tanks, be they back, side, or even slung, already know their usefulness in deco diving, and someone asking about whether any multiple tank configuration is suitable for deep deco diving is asking a "red flag" question w/r/t adequate training for diving with that much gas.
:)
Rick

You might want to take into consideration how many sidemount dives in sidemount cave each of these two posters have...I know which one I'd ask for advice...

You might want to take into consideration how many sidemount dives in sidemount cave each of these two posters have...I know which one I'd ask for advice...
I agree completely. Unfortunately one of them won't descend from the mount to bestow his vast wisdom on the little people.

The responses given by superbugman tend to reflect a knowledge is power mindset and seems to alos convey the message that until you know enough to not have to ask, you have no right to know.

Or maybe its just the old issue that sometimes knowing how to do something does not mean you are willing or maybe even able to impart that information to others.

In any case the OP was clearly not benefitting from the advice being given and was very clear in asking for less ambiguous answers. There was also ample opportunity for someone more knowledgeable to step in long before I spoke up, so being indirectly critical of me for speaking up is frankly pretty effing stupid.

And despite your slam, I don't hear you disagreeing with what I said or suggesting anything different. Feel free to share some of your vast wisdom as well...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom