Side-scan sonar for drowning victims

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mark Michaud SELAUSAR

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I purchased this Humminbird 797c2 Side-scan sonar unit a few years ago. I have used it satisfactorily to locate, vehicles, boats, boat motors, etc. I have wondered until today if it would be useful in finding a body. This is a low frequency side-scan and not a clear as a tow fish on smaller items.

While diving for a friend, today, I decided to find out. His sons sunk a Newton pirogue which was not cheap. He knew the area it was in but not exactly where. I brought my side-scan and my boat and located the pirogue in a few minutes. It is high and right of the body? I marked the spot with an anchor (50 lb shackle) and a float using it as my working line.. The anchor is never right on as I am past an object when I see it. But it is close as you can see.

I went to the bottom of the work-line and layed there having told Willie to make a pass by and mark it if he sees me. When I got back to the surface, after floating the pirogue, he told me I was clear as day on the monitor. Although I was much alive, the image was clear. It should remain the same of otherwise.

When I returned home I found that to be true. I will be doing deeper scans to see how far this will work. Another reasonably priced tool has proven to be useful. This can help to keep from putting divers overboard too early and wearing out your resources. FWIW. Mark

Attachments

• S00238.PNG
    S00238.PNG
    98.4 KB · Views: 3,891
Last edited:
we have one at work and use it to locate bodies before putting the divers in the water. it is very similar to yours and with some tuning is very accurate and offers a great pic

brett

My wife can see me with our 987. N

We're going out Side Scanning again today.

Happy Scanning! Sometimes it fun to just do this to see how much crap you can find!!!! We located 3 vehicles the first day we were using our unit. The PD all refused to pull the vehicles as they did not want to get saddled with the expense of the tow vehicle!

Our second Humminbird 1198 SI Combo with the optional 1kw Transducer arrived and installed yesterday. If your budget worried read more.... Doing my own research I found the Dive Rescue International was the most cost effective unit. I submitted to the county purchasing person to get it from DRI. However the county person was able to contact West Marine and open a Wholesale account with them. By doing so we were able to get the basic 1198 SI unit for $2200, the high powered 1 kw transducer for $353.18, and additional 30 ft transducer cable for $51.17 after shipping our final bill was $2614.30. I love DRI but there are even cheaper ways to get a Humminbird model.

Our second Humminbird 1198 SI Combo with the optional 1kw Transducer arrived and installed yesterday. If your budget worried read more.... Doing my own research I found the Dive Rescue International was the most cost effective unit. I submitted to the county purchasing person to get it from DRI. However the county person was able to contact West Marine and open a Wholesale account with them. By doing so we were able to get the basic 1198 SI unit for $2200, the high powered 1 kw transducer for $353.18, and additional 30 ft transducer cable for $51.17 after shipping our final bill was $2614.30. I love DRI but there are even cheaper ways to get a Humminbird model.

We got ours from dive rescue international. I'm not sure how much the actual saving was for you, but they have went above and beyond on the service. They have walked us through numerous technical/training issues and have vast amounts of experience in doing what we do. For us paying a few extra bucks up front has been a good investment. They even sent us a loaner unit to try before we bought one!

Back
Top Bottom