Side exhaust reg rcomendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Putting aside self-servicing, I dive the Xtream and find it unsurpassed. I dove Teknas exclusively through the 1990s until my gear got stolen. I find the xtream second stage more compact than the Hollis and Poseidons just can't be beat for bulletproof reliability, and, as noted, unsurpassed air delivery--I can't overbreathe mine even working hard in a strong current. But, any well executed servo design should also deliver air similarly.

Also, I thought there was an issue with a proprietary hose on the Hollis. No such issue with the Poseidon and I dive a long hose set-up, if that makes any difference to you.

When you unscrew what looks like a proprietary connection, there is a garden variety hose connection, unless, like Poseidon used to be, it has a different ID.
View media item 204473As for proprietary hoses, no one beat Poseidon until the XStream, lol.

I think both the Hollis 500SE and the Jetstream are just fine. Of course, the latest Poseidon first stage is hands down the best diaphragm design available today.

Sorry for the hijack and thanks again for the PM. Based on this info the Hollis really has to be a very strong contender. I understand that the Poseidon regs have their fans but there is a lot to recommend regulators that have (more or less) interchangeable parts. As we are discussing side exhaust it is only the 2nd stage that has that feature. The Hollis 2nd can be matched with another 1st if needed and this is only possible on a Poseidon if you have another of the same make. In other words you really need to go the whole deal with Poseidon or not at all.

This will matter more to some than others for sure. I run a two 1st stage doubles long hose set up and can "save a dive" with a spare reg or a deco reg reassembled with the right hoses. Adding an "odd" regulator isn't really an option. The wife has the same so one spare reg between us covers any unexpected problems (not that I have had anything ever that needed it in 25 years diving TBH)

Anyway - something to throw in the mix.

Well, almost.
Actually it is only the Cyklon that requires a first stage capable of an IP of >160psi.
The Jetstream is tuned to an IP of around 125, which means it can be mated to all other common first stages, and can be used with any other brand second stage for an auxiliary.
It is only the proprietary hose that is an issue, and even that can be bypassed with an aftermarket connection that is mated to a conventional hose.
So don't give up on the Jetstream if you like it.
I guess I'm defending both sides of this coin, but both are quality second stages.

Last edited:
The cheapest is probably the Mares MV. :wink:

I have the old Dacor upon which this is based. I understand that Mares parts are expensive and not widely available. Also there is a square plate in the reg that has just enough play in it (assuming this is exactly the same as the Dacor) that getting the reg set up right is very difficult. Apart from that flaw the Dacor/Mares is actually a good regulator and the one I have has done many years work with very little maintenance. When it is "off tune" you get a very tiny bubble stream from it. I doubt this would be much of an issue but as it is used as a backup on a necklace it is annoying. Not sure it is trustworthy enough for cave diving either. (Hence my interest in a new Hollis)

But I agree the MV is cheap and you could probably throw it away (2nd stage) and replace with new every 5 years or so rather than waste money on a service. (Mine is on a ScubaPro Mk11 1st stage)

For the record, I confirmed. Hollis' LP hose is standard.
Scubapro on left, Hollis on right
View media item 204478
And as you can see, you can use an aftermarket connector to use a Jetstream or XStream second stage. Here, a connector and a standard 120° fitting for a longer hose.

So...all options are on the table for side exhaust. As noted above, ANY first stage.

the caveat with upstream regs like the jetstream is that you will either need an opv on the first stage or on the hose. an lp port opv is at least cheap though. the adapter fitting with the opv was not nearly so last time i checked.

It's all about what you want.
This standard hose adapter with an internal OPV does the trick very elegantly.

Last edited:
On the Hollis 500SE, adjusting the cracking pressure (indeed, all servicing if you do your own) is extremely simple. Also, the service manual is available for download on-line.

Back
Top Bottom