SI Tech Quick Cuff issues...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Chairman

Chairman of the Board
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
My last problem with my Fusion are the wrist seals. They were just too small to fit my hands through the junction (hem, flap, seal, suit) as I have paws and not hands from 30 years in the automotive field. I was convinced that the SI Tech Quick Cuff would be the answer, and they just allowed my hand to pass through with far less effort than the suit alone. Sure, it was tight, and tighter still with the suit, but it was manageable while keeping the seal in place: at least off of the suit. Here is what I got:

quick%20cuff%20drawing.jpg

SI Tech Quick Cuff

So I got all the supplies together (Weldwood contact cement, a seam roller, sharp scissors, the Quick Cuff system) and I found a plastic jar that would be a great form jig as I worked as it fit the cuff system tightly. First I pulled the sleeve completely out of the skin so that it would be easier to work. Then I cut, applied the glue to both sides and carefully worked the dry suit sleeve onto the cuff.there was about a 1/4" extra of sleeve that had to be glued together and folded over (glued) to the cuff. It looked watertight, and I coated more contact cement on the outside and glued velco on the outside to hold the skin on.

Yesterday, I got to dive it for the first time at Hudson Grotto and I was NOT impressed. Getting my hand through the seals without unseating the ring lock was nigh to impossible. I had to use LOT'S of lubricant and two other people to keep pressure on the snap ring as my hand pushed past the restriction. Even then, when I went to do my second dive, I found that one ring had spontaneously popped out so I had to get help to make it work! Arrrrgh! I wasn't looking very professional to my students, and I am surprised that they weren't openly laughing at me.

Any ideas? I am thinking about heading to Home Depot/Lowes and and trying to find a PVC pipe that I could use to provide the pressure needed to keep the ring seated. It's too bad that they don't have a positive locking mechanism to keep it from inadvertently slipping out.

The ring lock system has two parts, the cuff and a locking ring that fits inside it and holds on the seal.

If this is what you have then you can having trouble with it slipping out if the rubber seal isn't very thick and the locking ring is loosely seated.

There are basically two solutions. Sci Tek has other locking ring sizes that will clamp beter. The thickest ones can be interesting to get on even without a seal in between them.

The other solution is to get seals that are made from thicker rubber.

A third possibility if you're looking for an exercise in frustration is to try that white pipe fitters tape. One or two wraps should normally make the difference.

R..

Looking at the picture, my locking ring does not have any ridges. It is very smooth. Perhaps this is the problem.

It's a different model with rings that have different colours. Blue, yellow, black. At least if they're like the ones I had.

The blue ones are the thickest. They're a btch to get on (hint spit isn't only good for sex and masks) but once they're on you could ram a bowling ball through the seal and the locking ring will stay where you put it.

The system does work. You just need to fiddle a bit longer with it.

R..

Mine came with only two, smooth black rings. One edge is rounded and the other has sharp edges. They simply don't stay in worth a darn.

Did you (gasp) order them online?

I bought a set from the LDS a couple of years ago and there were three sets of locking rings, black (the smallest), yellow (medium) and blue (thicker)

Can you take a picture of yours and post that? I'm curious to see it up close.

I have to run. Teaching in 40min but I'll be back in about 4 hours and I can take a look then.

R..

I apologize for the very poor quality of this picture:

SITechRing.jpg

The ring is 3/4" high, with a 3 7/8" OD and the walls are about 1/8" thick. Both the inside and outside are smooth with no grooves to lock into.

Last edited:
I used to have these and LOVED them. I have really small hands, though, so didn't really have a problem.

If I remember correctly, black was the thinnest ring they came with. I'm going to agree with Diver0001, and say the first thing to try is order some of the larger rings...or bitch to whoever you bought them from, because I think all the different sizes are supposed to be included.

You've got an incorrect part there Pete- I have the locking rings on my hazmat suit and it was damn near impossible to get the two halves apart when I needed to switch a wrist seal.

The top photo is the correct part- ridges running around it from top to bottom- you actually have to pound on it to get it seated. (And use some seroius pry tool action to get them apart.)

The only problem I'm having is that the sleves in my hazmat are a bit too long and the material is stiffer so the whole ring tends to ride down onto the base of my hand. Shouldn't be a problem in the Fusion.

I apologize for the very poor quality of this picture:

SITechRing.jpg

The ring is 3/4" high, with a 3 7/8" OD and the walls are about 1/8" thick. Both the inside and outside are smooth.

Yeah, those are the ones that I said you can get in black, yellow and blue.

Can you go back to where ever you got them and tell them they're not seating tightly enough? I think Gruntzer is right, you should have gotten all three.

TC might be right too, without seeing the cuff it's hard to tell but the picture above is the locking ring for a cuff that fits over a seal that is *attached* to the drysuit. If the seal is not attached to the drysuit you may need a different locking ring.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom