Show us your Sealife weekend diving pics!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When you switch it to sea mode it turns off but you can always turn it back on. Well I guess it depends how cold the water is and how thick your gloves are. With mine its fine.

The reason the strobe doesn't cause backscatter and the flash on the camera does is because since the flash on the camera is so close to the lens it causes all the particles to reflect and it bounces right back into the lens. It is kind of hard to explain. The reason the Strobe doesn't is because it is farther away from the lens so the light doesn't bounce of the object right back onto the lens. The strobe comes on a holder which is about a foot a way from the camera.

Thanks on the pics. Wow, when are you going to Hawaii I am planning on going over easter. Which island are you going to?

That makes sense! I appreciate the info. I might have to invest in the strobe if I like this as much as I think I am going to.

We're headed to Oahu in October of 2009. We went there in October of 2007 and absolutely loved it. I did my first and only salt water dives while I was there. GREAT dives! Saw an eel and some sea turtles. We ended up buying an every other year timeshare there. After 2009, we are thinking about trading it through Interval International for a different destination (but definitely somewhere I can dive. :) )

Which Island are you going to over Easter?

-Mike-

Strobes help a ton! I would definitely recommended getting one, along with a wide angle lens. But get used to the camera first because it takes a WHILE to get used to the strobe. Especially if you don't dive very often.

As for Hawaii I will also be going to Oahu. If you are looking for another destination check out the USVI. It's cheap...er than Hawaii. There are plenty of islands to get to by Ferry. GREAT DIVING! Warm water. Great visibility. What more could you want?

snewland01, you have some great shots in there. The corals are beautiful on those culverts! And I love porkfish. My fav is the 1st coral shot. Great stingray, so the particulate or backscatter is unfortunate! What in the world were the divers doing in the last pic with the ray?:11:

Mrs Fic: For the nigh dive I just used my strobe. I check that everything was in the photo by shining my light on the object and looking through the LCD. The Anemones were about the size of a golf ball. Thanks for the names. You know a ton of underwater names! Thanks for the comments on all the photos. I am still getting used to the strobe. Especially on the night dive!

About the Islands. I live in PR so its really close to a ton of other islands. To get to the USVI I take the Sea Plane. Which is right near my house. To get to the DR I took the Ferry. But just living in PR it's just close to great dive sites in the Caribbean.

I have heard there are lights mountable to the strobe arm or something like that...got to get something like that! I always moved my light away at the last minute, so as not to wash out the pic, but I guess if I keep the strobe on auto, it will compensate for the light from my flashlight, right? My husband has it so easy with his Nikon/Ikelite setup--his strobes stay on continuously at night on a moderate power, so he uses them as his primary dive light, then when he pushes the shutter button, the strobes change power for that instant to the appropriate amount for the shot.

The reason I know a lot of the names is on our first trip, we had to share a condo (Sand Dollar @Bonaire) with another couple who brought ID books along. Each night, we would spend an hour or so identifying all the critters we had pics of and laughed and made fun of each other, re-living the dive and the day. This, while others were out partying somewhere all night. We had a great time and have gone on most of our trips since then with this other couple, and still have the love of identifying the critters. We use primarily the 'reef fish identification--florida, caribbean, bahamas' by humann and deloach series. We have all 3 books (one for fish, inverts and corals) and just ordered the dvd version of the fish one--that should be awesome not to have to pack any books on the trip. We always take the laptop anyway, to download pics as we go, check email, and edit on the plane ride home. I hope to give a presentation in the next few months to our local diving club on sea critter id.

Check out these pictures from the Sea Emperor out of Deerfield Beach Fl. This is a wreck of a barge that flipped over and dump a bunch of concrete culverts next to the barge.

I love the Sea Emperor, that was one of the first dives I ever did and it's always a treat to go back to it or see pics from this site thanks for sharing!

Did you see Fred or Ethel? One of them has been speared :shakehead: and hasn't been seen in a while.

Wys

Snewland01: I really like pics. But there is something I noticed which I am not sure if you did. On some of the pics you are getting dark corners. This is caused by air trapped between the wide angle and the camera or the rubber on the w/a coming off. What were those people doing with that ray? I gotta get in on that!:eyebrow:
Also, what camera setup do you have.

I have heard there are lights mountable to the strobe arm or something like that...got to get something like that! I always moved my light away at the last minute, so as not to wash out the pic, but I guess if I keep the strobe on auto, it will compensate for the light from my flashlight, right? My husband has it so easy with his Nikon/Ikelite setup--his strobes stay on continuously at night on a moderate power, so he uses them as his primary dive light, then when he pushes the shutter button, the strobes change power for that instant to the appropriate amount for the shot.

The reason I know a lot of the names is on our first trip, we had to share a condo (Sand Dollar @Bonaire) with another couple who brought ID books along. Each night, we would spend an hour or so identifying all the critters we had pics of and laughed and made fun of each other, re-living the dive and the day. This, while others were out partying somewhere all night. We had a great time and have gone on most of our trips since then with this other couple, and still have the love of identifying the critters. We use primarily the 'reef fish identification--florida, caribbean, bahamas' by humann and deloach series. We have all 3 books (one for fish, inverts and corals) and just ordered the dvd version of the fish one--that should be awesome not to have to pack any books on the trip. We always take the laptop anyway, to download pics as we go, check email, and edit on the plane ride home. I hope to give a presentation in the next few months to our local diving club on sea critter id.

Remember that I don't have the Digital Pro strobe like you. I have the Digital strobe. It doesn't matter if I leave my light or if I take it away. On some of the photos I had dive dive buddy shine the light on the objects, like the ball tipped anemone and the bristle star. It doesn't really matter. But the auto or your strobe should account for it. So does the auto really work? If it does... LUCKY!!!! I have to take like 3-4 pics of the same thing to get the exposure right. But now I am getting better. Sometimes I can do it in the first shot!

Your husband is way lucky! That is an awesome strobe. But we payed for what we got and i'm sure he did to! Haha.

That is pretty funny about staying up all night identifying fish.:popcorn: But I am sure it was fun. It definitely payed off too.

Wow, I used to think I had such cool pictures. I dont have a flash and I free dive so my time is limited and my pictures are mostly luck. Thanks for sharing all these great shots.
With my SL130 I couldn't see the view screen. i am hoping the DC800 will change that. Here are a few crude pictures I managed last year in Aruba with my old camera.
0823_045.jpg

0822_025.jpg

0822_050.jpg

Maybe I'll have some nicer ones in a month for comparison.

Impressive... Isn't this camera a "constant-focus" camera?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom