Show Me The Best Most Robust Dive Flag Available, Please.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I don't use the best most robust dive flag, but I'll post up what I use anyway.

Pocket Buoy Inflatable Float Diver Down Flag

I originally got this for snorkeling in a situation where we had a long walk to the beach and were going to be carrying a variety of other stuff. I've been using it ever since, for maybe 5 shore dives. It is a little fiddly to set up but it works well and packs down to almost nothing. I like stuff that is well designed, and it does free up space in my dive bag.

Mr. Miller:

Thanks for taking the time to provide your input. To be honest, I think you know a lot more than I about the history and source of this float.

The float itself is essentially a lifeguard "rescue can" (I think that is what they call them). They are extremely hardy, have several hand holds, are quite light because they are made from hollow plastic and they provide a good bit of flotation to the victim. They are also easy to tow through the surf with a shoulder strap. The flag holder and counter weight and belt etc. - is probably more modern.

You might also note the white plastic ball at the top of the flag pole. That is something we at MAKO came up with ourselves (kinda tough to brag about inventing a ball) :acclaim:but I felt that it was an important safety feature to add to the design - should someone fall onto the float while it is standing up on a boat or the beach.

Thanks Again!

Dano
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are correct it was designed for the SoCal life guards by a SoCal life guard as a rescue can, in it's original life guard configuration it had a strap arrangement that the rescuer slung over his shoulder and towed the can behind him.

It was soon discovered by LA County SoCal scuba instructors and dive charter boat owners and became known as the "Burnside Buoy"--- which might have been it's official name

A few years later Bob produced a super buoy which was about a third longer which gave additional floatation capabilities but was equality awkward to use and never gained popularity with my tribe.

All this occurred in the early 1970s or so when PADI was two cardboard boxes in a small office in Costa Mesa. Therefore you will hear very little on the subject from the PADI types.

I suspect Bob is no longer with us and is rescuing in the great reef in the sky. I also suspect his company was sold and or the patents expired and some other company is producing the cans.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I commend you for your BALL - a small addition but a very important one for the safety of the user and those around them.

I also commend you for the correct size of your dive flag-- So many manufactures condider a dive flag as anything red with a white stripe. Not So ! ..Its original configuration as established and agreed upon in the developmental stages was to be 5 units wide X 4 Units high X a 1 unit diagonal stripe, later changes to a square configuration for ease of production. Some day some one with be injured fling what is representative of a dive flag and some sharp attorney will declare it a red & white rag.

FYI...... I have been known as an "expert witness " since 1957.....surprisingly the first case was a shooting death with a spear gun..the defense declared a spear gun was a toy --it was proven other wise.

However, my milestone case was in 1962 when a diver who was displaying a then 5 years old divers flag was struck by a boat and injured. I was called as the only expert witness, certainly an awesome responsibility but we prevailed and the red and white flag was identified in a court of law as a recognized flag of diving activity

As an ex Captain USAF, Korean war I salute you with 21 guns for your support of veterans.-- They certainly deserve more than they are receiving.

SDM

Last edited:
Thanks once again for the historical information. I'm selling an OLD idea, I guess..lol

I also do appreciate your reference to our support of veterans and their families. Without the huge sacrifices from veterans like yourself, I would not have the opportunity to run my small business.

It's really gratifying to let you know that on our most recent eBay auction for the Fisher House, our customers bid up the price to above that which they could have simply ordered the product directly from my store. Obviously the ebay customers were iintent on supporting the charity, probably because they understand that we donate all the procedes from the auction directly to the fisher house.

Makes me proud to be associated with the dive community.
Dive safe
Dano

"Thanks once again for the historical information. I'm selling an OLD idea, I guess..lol"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It is certainly NOT an old idea -
It is ingeniously adapting and modifying existing technology to modern usage, and you did a darn good job at doing it !

The Burnside Buoy aka Lifeguard float was years in developing and has repeatedly been proven to be very reliable and adaptable: as preferred lifeguard device though out the US, as terminal gear in California and international spear fishing and now as the premier float for a dive flag.

It is one of those bullet proof rugged items that is a one time investment that can be used thought the life of a diver and then be passed on to future generations.

I commend you for developing and marketing such a great float .

SDM

PS -to read a little about me suggest that you refer to Passings on this board "Art Pender, King of sling" or google my name Dr. Samuel Miller, 111--Not to be confused with my son Dr. Samuel Miller, IV who is a ER/Hyperbaric doctor, also a retired LB Neptune , SSI Pro 5000, NAUI (Life) PADI etc

sdm

"Thanks once again for the historical information. I'm selling an OLD idea, I guess..lol"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It is certainly NOT an old idea -
It is ingeniously adapting and modifying existing technology to modern usage, and you did a darn good job at doing it !

The Burnside Buoy aka Lifeguard float was years in developing and has repeatedly been proven to be very reliable and adaptable: as preferred lifeguard device though out the US, as terminal gear in California and international spear fishing and now as the premier float for a dive flag.

It is one of those bullet proof rugged items that is a one time investment that can be used thought the life of a diver and then be passed on to future generations.

I commend you for developing and marketing such a great float .

SDM

PS -to read a little about me suggest that you refer to Passings on this board "Art Pender, King of sling" or google my name Dr. Samuel Miller, 111--Not to be confused with my son Dr. Samuel Miller, IV who is a ER/Hyperbaric doctor, also a retired LB Neptune , SSI Pro 5000, NAUI (Life) PADI etc

sdm

This is some excellent information! Thanks for the input everyone. I haven't needed my flag yet but seeing as I've made a semi permanent move from cave country (I don't use flags in the springs/caves) to the great lakes (I'll probably use a flag every dive) - I'll let you know what I end up getting - and I may do an in depth review on it.

Double Outrigger.jpg For divers wishing to use larger flag/longer pole, 'wondering if one could make the MAKO Hawaiian Hard Float TRULY Hawaiian, by adding double outriggers.

Maybe use pool noodle sections as lateral support floats, DIY.

Maybe Dano @ MAKO could design and add it, as another option.

Note: Posted this on other thread: The BEST Dive Flag Float by MAKO Spearguns.

'Hoping that Dano will see it, and test/design a commercial product.

I've gone through three, two cheap Tridents and the one below. The one pictured will take abuse. Be aware that a dive flag is something that I don't particularly cherish in the least, so you can imagine the loving care that I give it.

Sorry that I can't help more, can anyone ID it for both Reku and me? (I may need to replace it someday) It has a "Made in the USA" tag on it but someone cut off the manufacturer's tag. I got it many years ago at the Ocean Wreck Divers fleamarket in Toms River, NJ.

Best I can do...

Is this what you are referring to?
Great flag.
Deluxe Flag Float Kit

@Tournesol2000, Sorry for the delay.

Yes, it looks like an import version of what I have. Note the line (in the pic below) that keeps the flag from becoming lost from the float. It is a minor point, IMHO, as those connectors tend to seize in saltwater. Taking them apart is usually the issue. So, yeah, nice flag. I hate dive flags...

Flag.jpg

I want a flag that will follow me around with no physical connection. That would be a great dive flag.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom