Show Me The Best Most Robust Dive Flag Available, Please.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just call me captain and we'll be all set :wink:

:pirate2:

:tlaphijack:

while I love the concept of the rescue tube flag holder, its technically not legal in MA. "Such diver's flag shall be displayed on a boat or surface float and shall extend a minimum distance of three feet from the surface of the water". I tried to make one which I called "Baywatch One" but the extended length caused too much tipping. counteracting with weight made it ungainly.

while I love the concept of the rescue tube flag holder, its technically not legal in MA. "Such diver's flag shall be displayed on a boat or surface float and shall extend a minimum distance of three feet from the surface of the water". I tried to make one which I called "Baywatch One" but the extended length caused too much tipping. counteracting with weight made it ungainly.

Dang, I forgot about the flag height law....

The best dive flag probably depends on what application you will be using it for.

If you want to have a flag/float that is extremely robust, tows very easily in current, will provide significant buoyancy to support a diver at the surface (in an emergency), will stand up to waves, being dragged over rocks and a beach (and other similar abuse), has a flag stiffener (which is required in the State of Florida), has a removable dive flag that meets Florida State size requirements and will keep a 12 pack of beer cold for an entire day....I'm not sure where to look..

However if the last feature is not important... :eyebrow: I think you should take a look at this float/flag.

Hawaiian Hard Float | MAKO Spearguns

MHHF2-2T.jpg

Paired up with our reel and a reef hook, you have a complete system.

Utility Reel | MAKO Spearguns

MUR.1-2T.jpg

Reef Hook | MAKO Spearguns

MRH-2T.jpg

Your float appears to be a adaption of the Burnside Float designed and developed by Bob Burnside an LA County Underwater Instructor as well as a La County Beach Life guard.

It was adapted many years ago by SoCal divers as a way of navigating the kelp cover that dominates our spearfishing areas.

Please confirm or explain

SDM

...//... I need something bulletproof. My old flag met an untimely death. Buoys are an option as well! ...
I've gone through three, two cheap Tridents and the one below. The one pictured will take abuse. Be aware that a dive flag is something that I don't particularly cherish in the least, so you can imagine the loving care that I give it.

Sorry that I can't help more, can anyone ID it for both Reku and me? (I may need to replace it someday) It has a "Made in the USA" tag on it but someone cut off the manufacturer's tag. I got it many years ago at the Ocean Wreck Divers fleamarket in Toms River, NJ.

Best I can do...

Attachments

• Dive Flag.jpg
    Dive Flag.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 324
Your float appears to be a adaption of the Burnside Float designed and developed by Bob Burnside an LA County Underwater Instructor as well as a La County Beach Life guard.

It was adapted many years ago by SoCal divers as a way of navigating the kelp cover that dominates our spearfishing areas.

Please confirm or explain

SDM

Mr. Miller:

Thanks for taking the time to provide your input. To be honest, I think you know a lot more than I about the history and source of this float.

The float itself is essentially a lifeguard "rescue can" (I think that is what they call them). They are extremely hardy, have several hand holds, are quite light because they are made from hollow plastic and they provide a good bit of flotation to the victim. They are also easy to tow through the surf with a shoulder strap. The flag holder and counter weight and belt etc. - is probably more modern.

You might also note the white plastic ball at the top of the flag pole. That is something we at MAKO came up with ourselves (kinda tough to brag about inventing a ball) :acclaim:but I felt that it was an important safety feature to add to the design - should someone fall onto the float while it is standing up on a boat or the beach.

Thanks Again!

Dano

Here is my flag from the last trip to Hawaii. Absolutely reliable and easy to travel with. You buy a bamboo stick in local hardware store, secure the flag to one end, a 2-pounder to another end, and a gallon bottle to the middle. Note that both the bottle and the weight are fixed to the string, the yellow cable tie on the right is non-functional. I used the same construct in Florida.

IMGP2802-1.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom