Should Visual Inspections be made Law?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

government.jpg

He's in a business law class folks, he's not a lawyer. He's looking for some honest input and ideas. My comment wasn't helpful.

No, I don't think it should be a law. The scuba industry does a pretty good job of self policing the inspection process, largely because there is good profit motive in doing so. It seems to be working well so far. :)

(1) capitalization
(2) wrong tense
(3) spelling
(4) syntax
(5) punctuation
(6) wordy

C- at the most...
E

Heck Lawyers need to know the Law,not the Language.:rofl3:

don't mean to be hi-jacking the thread - along this same line - if i have my tanks hydro'd and eddy'ed - do i then need to take them to my LDS for a VIP so they can put on their sticker (and charge me)..or should the hydro and edy and I assume, VIP done at the hydro facility be good for that year?

Well, yes... How do you know they drained all the water? It was a hydro test, after all. Some form of visual after hydro should be required. Separation of testing would seem desirable.

I guess if the hyrdro test shop put a VIP sticker on the tank (do they?) then it should be accepted for the next year. There is no requirement that the VIP sticker be from the shop performing the fill.

My LDS does a visual on a brand new tank (that they sold to me) before they fill it. That's ok, I want them to put the Nitrox band on at the same time. The tank may never have anything except EANx 21 (Safe Air as they call it) but at least I know the tank was clean once upon a time.

The bigger issue to me, if I were a blender, is whether I believe the tank is STILL clean. Having a neat yellow and green sticker doesn't really say anything about the state of the tank NOW. I'm actually surprised there aren't more problems with partial pressure blending.

Richard

Last edited:
I think that they should pass a law that states that: "To pass a new law, two old laws must be taken off the books". After a while these a$$#ole lawmakers will be a lot more selective about which laws they pass. It's really not that complicated.

Although the people that inspect tanks are getting better because more of them are getting trained, most don't understand how to fill a tank much less inspect it. Making it a law to have tanks inspected would just increase the price of inspections. As Walter said, there would also have to be one that required people that inspect them to be trained. Someone else said, and it is true, there already is a law that tanks must be visually inspected when they are hydrostatically tested. So a new law? No.

I am in no way a legal expert, and this is a college paper that i am writing to simply get a grade. Thanks again!
That's a shame. It's unfortunate you're not writing the paper to learn something useful, with the grade as a secondary effect.

One thing to keep in mind - you're probably getting a biased result by asking your question here. You may want to consider asking the same question, unmodified, in a lawyer forum, an insurance underwriter or adjuster forum, a democrat forum and in some kind of public safety forum. I think you'll see much different answers than what you're getting here.

That's a shame. It's unfortunate you're not writing the paper to learn something useful, with the grade as a secondary effect.

One thing to keep in mind - you're probably getting a biased result by asking your question here. You may want to consider asking the same question, unmodified, in a lawyer forum, an insurance underwriter or adjuster forum, a democrat forum and in some kind of public safety forum. I think you'll see much different answers than what you're getting here.

Right, because most are not likely to be divers so the law won't affect them personally,
but passing a law to make something safer always sounds good even if in reality doesn't do much to actually increase safety. Gun control laws being a perfect example.

Well, yes... How do you know they drained all the water? It was a hydro test, after all. Some form of visual after hydro should be required. Separation of testing would seem desirable.

I guess if the hyrdro test shop put a VIP sticker on the tank (do they?) then it should be accepted for the next year. There is no requirement that the VIP sticker be from the shop performing the fill.

My LDS does a visual on a brand new tank (that they sold to me) before they fill it. That's ok, I want them to put the Nitrox band on at the same time. The tank may never have anything except EANx 21 (Safe Air as they call it) but at least I know the tank was clean once upon a time.

The bigger issue to me, if I were a blender, is whether I believe the tank is STILL clean. Having a neat yellow and green sticker doesn't really say anything about the state of the tank NOW. I'm actually surprised there aren't more problems with partial pressure blending.

Richard

yep, that makes sense - no, don't have a sticker from hydro facility..., looks like they'd add that to the list though, make them a few more bucks...but you're right, better to be safe, even if it cost a few more $'s..thanx for the reply.

Back
Top Bottom