Green Top vs White Top DAN Oxygen Cylinders

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use two of the old NPT steel 72s as oxygen bottles on my boat. NPT med O2 valves are very common and thread right in.
Gave me the capacity I needed and got two worthless old tanks out of my garage.
This is true but in the context of this thread I was talking about taking a DAN kit underwater somehow. That's not going to work, different threads, valves, regulators, and masks

Dawg's full oxygen kit is very impressive and well thought out....could not tell from his photos but a positive pressure delivery valve would be good for non-breathing victims; constant flow only works for breathing persons...
I think you may have meant that to be the other way around......

The RescuEan combined with the Diveright fully O2 cleaned reg with standard LP inflator hose gives me options for both conscious and unconscious scenarios. In most incidents, the affected diver is conscious so the standard demand only reg set is the most judicial use of the available O2 as 100% of the gas is delivered with no residual loss as with constant flow.

Also, this system with the RescuEan means that if I happen to have another diver onboard who is carrying any increased O2 deco or stage tanks that we can have an additional delivery option from those tanks.

I think you may have meant that to be the other way around......

The RescuEan combined with the Diveright fully O2 cleaned reg with standard LP inflator hose gives me options for both conscious and unconscious scenarios. In most incidents, the affected diver is conscious so the standard demand only reg set is the most judicial use of the available O2 as 100% of the gas is delivered with no residual loss as with constant flow.

Also, this system with the RescuEan means that if I happen to have another diver onboard who is carrying any increased O2 deco or stage tanks that we can have an additional delivery option from those tanks.
Dawg...guess I may be confused or did not state it correctly....demand valve or free-flow alone only works if the person is breathing; positive pressure valve [like second stage but calibrated; otherwise over-inflation and embolism is possible] is needed to ventilate a non-breathing person...however, in-lieu of PP valve, you can ventilate a non-breathing person via mouth-to-mask [variety] with an oxygen line to the mask on free-flow [nominally 15 lpm as I recall] or using an Ambu bag, but Ambu really takes practice to be effective. Keeping the seal is tough.

Hopefully I did not again compare apples to oranges but I always assume that worst case is non-breathing, if they are conscious they are breathing but unconscious is the tricky one...shallow respirations or non-breathing makes a difference how you can effectively deliver oxygen...I have zero experience with RecuEan or the Diveright setup you are using; they look good.

Totally agree that demand system if at all possible is best as it will deliver 100% oxygen ventilation and conserve the oxygen supply...as opposed to pocket-mask/15 lpm and 55% ventilation with a lot of wasted oxygen...

Not false praise, but your due diligence and gear is some of the best I have encountered...your divers are in good hands.

All great points...... No system is perfect but this is what I felt works best. I'm still considering adding a 2nd stage on a 20ft hose to have an in water option at 15ft.

Check out the RescuEan as it's a great option with multiple flow rates and simply connects to any standard LP inflator.

Even after considering all of this.......my next, and probably most important, addition to my overall safety plan will be an AED.. It's just hard to spend that kind-of coin on something you hope to never need....but then the day you do need it, the cost becomes "priceless". :)

All great points...... No system is perfect but this is what I felt works best. I'm still considering adding a 2nd stage on a 20ft hose to have an in water option at 15ft.

Check out the RescuEan as it's a great option with multiple flow rates and simply connects to any standard LP inflator.

Even after considering all of this.......my next, and probably most important, addition to my overall safety plan will be an AED.. It's just hard to spend that kind-of coin on something you hope to never need....but then the day you do need it, the cost becomes "priceless". :)
If you want to make a battery. I have one I will give you.
It was due for a battery last year and the manufacturer end of lifed service on it. I bought a new unit for the charter boat.
I put new battery cells in it and it does work, I threw it on my other boat for awhile then broke down and just bought a second newer unit.

Wow... Great offer Tracy. Thank-you! Not sure that I am smart enough to "make" a battery. But if it's something I can figure out then sounds like a deal too good to refuse. I'll PM you my contact info and obviously expect to cover shipping.

D.A.N. just emailed me that the green tops are in, so I ordered the Dual Rescue Pk Extended Care double jumbo D kit for $797 delivered...search over.

Sobering about use of AED...yes, they provide a better chance of victim surviving cardiac arrest but remember for every minute of no heart beat the chance of survival decreases by 10%...gotta be quick! CPR + AED for pulseless [would therefore be non-breathing] victim survival rate is about 22%...not certain how much using 100% oxygen ventilation improves that %....like stated an AED adjunct is priceless, but is not a miracle machine especially in the field....Hope for the best; prepare for the worst....

D.A.N. just emailed me that the green tops are in, so I ordered the Dual Rescue Pk Extended Care double jumbo D kit for $797 delivered...search over.

Sobering about use of AED...yes, they provide a better chance of victim surviving cardiac arrest but remember for every minute of no heart beat the chance of survival decreases by 10%...gotta be quick! CPR + AED for pulseless [would therefore be non-breathing] victim survival rate is about 22%...not certain how much using 100% oxygen ventilation improves that %....like stated an AED adjunct is priceless, but is not a miracle machine especially in the field....Hope for the best; prepare for the worst....
This sounds like an AI response. What is your point? Are you going to get an AED or not?

This sounds like an AI response. What is your point? Are you going to get an AED or not?
Hey are you rude on purpose or bye accident? AI? Where did that come from? No, my responses are from my previous training and occupations...point should have been clear...invest in an AED for dive operations if you like but the successful use of the AED requires very rapid use, correctly placed, rapid follow-up ALS and then the outcome is still very dismal...hence to answer your last inquiry, no, I do not plan to buy or carry an AED. And yes, I have been trained in their use. For me since I dive solo since retirement using an AED would be problematic and with limitations I have stated, not worth the investment for me even on a dive project.

This next will probably really torque you....but in a pinch don't forget commercial welding oxygen can be used; I remember a WHOI dive vessel way off shore that did just that to save two divers when they ran out of 'medical oxygen'...use to be and I am guessing it still is there is no difference in purity between welding oxygen and medical grade.

Just trying to share views and information, simple as that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom