Green Top vs White Top DAN Oxygen Cylinders

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My dive shop fills my Al 80 with 3000psi of O2. And I wrote "oxygen" on the side with a sharpie.
I just had the original yellow paint sandblasted off of one of my old, neglected Luxfer Al 40 deco cylinders. Purchased an "Oxygen 20 ft" band and an oxygen-service scuba valve from DGX, and put them on the now bare-metal cylinder. I drove the 2 hours to St Louis (to Y-kiki Divers) to leave the cylinder to be VIP'd and oxygen cleaned and subsequently filled with 100% oxygen (3,000 psig), and then drove back to pick up the cylinder.

My intention is to use this as an emergency oxygen cylinder, only. (I also purchased one of these DGX Gears Adapter: DIN to CGA-870 Pin Index POST, which I learned about from a SB post not long ago.)

I determined that it likely will be easier for me to get this scuba cylinder refilled with 100% oxygen than it will be to get a DAN or other medical oxygen cylinder refilled (since I don't have a prescription for medical oxygen).

FWIW,
rx7diver

You are kinda overthinking this and making up some "facts" here. Why don't you just ask whoever is going to fill your O2 bottle if they care?

Well, like I said this was just a request for specific and definitive information concerning the requirement of only be able to use or refill a green top DAN oxygen bottle within the USA....that is not overthinking but important when I buy the DAN kit. Either the DAN kits must comply with the CFR or they do not have to. What "facts" were made up? I was asking for information and asking a question. The CFR was great, but evidently "NA" when considering the DAN oxygen bottle top colors. DAN oxygen is not identified as medical oxygen.

Look once filled, I hope they will never be used or have to be refilled since that would mean I pushed the NDL too hard and needed to add the oxygen window to back away from high nitrogen tissue loads. My oxygen kit will only be used topside and not underwater. Where that might be and who would refill them if needed is not foreseeable. Asking the only compressed gas company [78miles away] near me if they would refill them would mean nothing since I don't just dive one location or even state and would want them refilled before other dives.

Dawg you are correct the Jumbo D's 22.9cf and the extended DAN kit has two of them and in a Pelican box with all the deliver systems I would need. It perfectly fits my needs. Your 80cf oxygen bottle if I understand from the markings is for "Deco", in water I assume and curious about the sticker on side "not for use on scuba". That is new to me; what does that denote? Guessing that would mean you use it as a 'surface supply' on a 15ft hose. I agree topside you can't have too much 100% oxygen for a diver as chronic oxygen toxicity is a non-issue.

RJACK'S : "There really are no police here and the gas industry is notoriously fickle and makes up "rules" on a whim based on word of mouth and god knows what else." Says it all and I appreciate cutting through the hyperbole; I might carry a 'sharpie' and 'green paint' as a work around just in case... :cool:

Thanks for the input folks...out here.

DSO

That's what I have for my kit.... An O2 cleaned AL80 that's clearly marked. I think the DAN Jumbo D is only 22CF.
The jumbo D has a great form factor for pelican cases though. Forget trying to find one at a gas supplier tho

My oxygen kit will only be used topside and not underwater.
You realize medical O2 tanks take 0.75 inch x 16 UNF threaded valves? And scuba tanks take 0.75" x 14 NPS valves? You can't put a scuba valve on a medical tank nor a CGA O2 valve on a scuba service tank without major machining work (on the valve not the tank)

I don't think that any valves need to be changed, since you can use an adaptor like the one that rx7diver linked to, to let you adapt an O2 constant flow type regulator to a scuba valve.

1723639669740.png

I recently ended up with a nice AL30 or 100% o2, and am thinking of doing just this to have more capacity for my regular O2 kit, since I'm not doing any o2 accelerated deco diving...

You realize medical O2 tanks take 0.75 inch x 16 UNF threaded valves? And scuba tanks take 0.75" x 14 NPS valves? You can't put a scuba valve on a medical tank nor a CGA O2 valve on a scuba service tank without major machining work (on the valve not the tank)
I use two of the old NPT steel 72s as oxygen bottles on my boat. NPT med O2 valves are very common and thread right in.
Gave me the capacity I needed and got two worthless old tanks out of my garage.

Ah, I missed why you are pointing out for me the differences in valves and thread sizes? I never intend to switch valves or use a scuba cylinder for oxygen...strictly sticking to use of the DAN double jumbo D kit as stated.....my need for oxygen is for surface only and as a prophylactic against asymptomatic DCS and for emergency DCS events; then just to get me to definitive chamber treatment...

Yes in my dive program we had over 100cf of oxygen topside with multiple delivery systems for emergencies but that was then and this is now... for my personal use the DAN kit fits my needs. Agree that more is better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom