Should there be repercussions for rudeness from a LDS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sperbonzo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Just want to hear your opinions about this.

So my wife wanted to get me the new Mares liquid skin mask for Christmas. We had seen it at the WPB scuba show and I really liked it.

She looked all over for it, and finally found a shop in Fort Lauderdale, Diver's Discount, that was going to have it (so the owner said), before anyone else, even though they couldn't get it until a couple of days after Christmas.

That was fine, she printed up a picture of it, telling me that I would have a couple of days after Christmas. She paid, up front, $90.00

The appointed day came and went, and she was then told it would not be in until the 15th of Jan.

She was then informed today that it wouldn't be in until the end of Feb.

At this point we decided to just cancel the order and buy the mask elsewhere (at Diver's Direct actually). She had spoken to the owner of Divers Discount (where she had originally ordered and paid for the mask), several times over the last 2 months, but when she called today to ask him how to go about canceling the order, he brusquely said "Send me an Email", and hung up on her. I was in the room when she made the call, and she was in no way rude, or impatient with him during the call.

Perhaps I have overly high expectations of politeness from people these days, and I tend to be very protective of my wife, but we would never treat people that way, and I don't think that the owner of a business should do so either.

Thoughts?

I fully agree with you. And sometimes, simply not doing business with them anymore is just not enough. This post is a good start.

If the payment was by credit card, you could probably manage any additional dealings on this matter thru the CC company rather than dealing with the DH.

There is never any excuse for rudeness. LDS owners who ARE, are just cutting their own throats. Scuba is a small world and divers talk to each other. There's a fella' here, who by behaving rudely and treating people like they are stupid, has lost at least 10 customers, and in this part of Tennessee, there just aren't that many scuba afficiandos.:shakehead Crazy.....

I think you did the right thing take your business elsewhere. If an LDS or any other merchant isn't going to be at least civil don't spend your money with them.

funkyspelunker:
Vote with your dollars, and tell your friends.
I second this advice...very well put. I boycotted my LDS almost a year ago, and now drive a considerable distance to deal with people who seem to want to EARN my business.

I'll agree with others about voting with your dollars.
One mad customer tell's 13 people, one happy customer only tells 3.
The math will catch up with them.

Dave

Just like every body has been saying, Word of mouth is the best and cheapest advertisement there is and if an LDS screws that up, they will pay for it in lost buisness. That comes to the old saying," Don't screw with me" because I for one tell it like I see it. If you (the LDS) takes care of me, I will take care of you.
Just my 2 cents worth!!

if people are rude to me, i go out of my way not to be around them

if a dive shop employee is rude to me, i'll avoid that employee

if it appears to be a pattern at the shop, or if the boss/owner/manager is rude to me, i'll stop going to that shop

I dont think it does any good to take your dollars anywhere else if you dont let those initially involved know that you are doing so because they did not meet your requirements whatever they are.

Having said that......you ought to give them the opportunity to respond and if you dont like the responce.....then continue on with your move elsewhere

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom