Should Rename This Forum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Walter:
I haven't even seen that button in months. Is it hidden or gone?
I can see it on every post ... it's the little button with the exclamation mark on the left side of the post ... underneath a diver's name, avatar, and profile info. What skin are you using?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

ZoCrowes255:
I did the opposite of everyone else. I just switched from an Oxycheq BP/W to a Sherwood Tortuga. After about 400 dives and god knows how many thousands of pool hours my wing finally died on me and I decided I wanted something different.

Great, I just bought a BP/W from this guy :wink:

...Jim and I am a CRIB. It's been two month's since I last dove. I am converting to CSPB (Clan of the Steel Plate and Balloon). I am on a 12 step program to diving doubles and a dry suit.

1. Back inflate
  2. Wrist computer
  3. steel tank
  4. cannister light
  5. 7' hose
  6. BP/W
  7. drysuit
  8. spring straps
  9. dual regulators
  10. doubles
  11. stages
  12. and finally, a black skirt mask !

Hey, that tastes like Koolaid :06:

NetDoc:
Walter... the "Report this post" button is an "!" on the bottom left of each post.

Ah, I see, still there, but in stealth mode. Why'd ya hide it?

RonFrank:
The backinflate BC is the evolution (or de-evolution in some peoples opinion) of the BP/W.

Actually, it predates the BP/wing.

scububa:
Great, I just bought a BP/W from this guy :wink:

...Jim and I am a CRIB. It's been two month's since I last dove. I am converting to CSPB (Clan of the Steel Plate and Balloon). I am on a 12 step program to diving doubles and a dry suit.

1. Back inflate
  2. Wrist computer
  3. steel tank
  4. cannister light
  5. 7' hose
  6. BP/W
  7. drysuit
  8. spring straps
  9. dual regulators
  10. doubles
  11. stages
  12. and finally, a black skirt mask !

Hey, that tastes like Koolaid :06:
LOL trust me you're not getting my old wing. It's got about 4 different patches on it from being thrown in the back of my jeep and having even more **** piled on top of it.

Still dives though! Just ugly as sin.

spectrum:
Nahhh It's just a ScubaBoard Illusion.

Nothing negative in what I'm saying here but this is a concentration of "thinking" divers. I was lucky, I ended up with a good BC (Sherwood Avid) that fits me well and it's serving me well for the diving that I have been doing. There may well be a BP&W in my future but I really don't know when I will make that move, I don't see doubles or tech in my future so I don't have a physical constraint driving me.

In the world of general recreational diving the Jacket/Vest configuration is dominant by far. Like it or not, good bad or indifferent.

Any well fit BCD will work well for single tank diving. As I have said before,"if more jacket BC divers put as much care and angst into selecting their rig as the BP/W divers there would be more happy jacket owners".

Pete

This is a picture of a Jacket Style Sherwood BC. I don't think anyone can get more streamlined than this. Nothing to flap in the current at all. My little back inflate would drag more than this.

http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=52740&cat=514

Don Janni:
This is a picture of a Jacket Style Sherwood BC. I don't think anyone can get more streamlined than this. Nothing to flap in the current at all. My little back inflate would drag more than this.

http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=52740&cat=514
Streamlined, perhaps ... but it's also a good display of one thing I really don't like about most jacket-style BCD's ... the tank tends to mount really low. The bottom of the tank in the photo looks to be down around the diver's knees, and that would really bug me ... especially on shore dives.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob, Bob, Bob, you know as well as I you can put any (except for a HUB) BC high or low on a tank. That's personal preference.

Walter:
Bob, Bob, Bob, you know as well as I you can put any (except for a HUB) BC high or low on a tank. That's personal preference.
To a degree ... but the design of a lot of jacket styles that I've worked with (via student rental gear) is such that the higher you put the tank, the farther away from the body the tank valve gets ... due to the fact that there's only one strap, and the tank will essentially use the strap as a "pivot" point.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Stephen Ash:
Naw... that can't be!
... it's obvious that this pic has been photoshopped. :D

Good eye Stephen. I knew if anyone would catch it, it would be you and you are correct.

I took that picture myself while in G Cayman a couple of months ago. She is the DM on the boat. She had a school of Blue Tang and a couple of large Midnight Parrots swimming on her left side. I took then out of the picture including a couple that were right there around her console and waist belt.

If you look at her right side it's pretty obvious the BC is streamlined and not altered in anyway. You can tell I'm not that good with Photoshop.

So the streamlined part is true!!!

nwgratefuldiver:
Streamlined, perhaps ... but it's also a good display of one thing I really don't like about most jacket-style BCD's ... the tank tends to mount really low. The bottom of the tank in the photo looks to be down around the diver's knees, and that would really bug me ... especially on shore dives.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob: The tank hanging down to her knees is an optical illusion. Sort of like reading the speedometer while sitting in the passanger seat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom