Should Instructors be teaching with Air II (or similar) Alternates?

Instructing Open Water students with Air II-ish Alternates is Safe?

• Yes, there is no safety issue with Air II on an instructor.

Votes: 50 52.6%
  • Yes, if all the students have Air II as well.

Votes: 10 10.5%
  • No, but students with their own gear should be allowed to use their Air II's..

Votes: 18 18.9%
  • No, and even students should not have Air II's.

Votes: 17 17.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If the student does not have his own gear, the octo is what should be thought. If the student plans to rent for a while, not to many resorts and dive operators rent airII as rental gear. If the students is using their own gear, then instructors should show them how to use it.

I personally think instructors teaching with only an Air II Alternate are not prudent instructors. What do you all think?

I disagree entirely. An instructor should be teaching with as many different styles of kit as he can get his hands on. Outside training a student has no control over what kit they're confronted with.

Same goes for teaching long hose/primary donate.

When I did my open water class I intentionaly tried all the variations of equipment i could get my hands on. I used a different set up every time I could... Gauges VS computer, Jacket VS Backfloat, Octo VS integrated, etc.
I ended up getting a backfloat Seaquest Balance with Air II on it already.

My thought is that you should at minimum have a rough idea what equipment is out there that you could bump into. You REALLY need to make sure you understand your dive buddy and your own equipment before you hit the water.

If you follow my signature link into my divebuddy account you can read my blog about this topic.

My instructor in class told us to make sure and inspect and review with our dive buddies before any dive. Including goals of the dive, hand signals to be use, and each others equipment.

When I did my open water checkout dives with another instructor... He told us not to bother when he over heard me ask my assigned dive buddy if he wanted a review of my equipment.

Durring the underwater out of air drills, I'd give over my primary after I did a quick switch to the air source... Instructor tells me at surface... "You don't give up your primary!" My reply "Integrated air source, Yes i do!"... "Oh... ok."

Then when my assigned dive buddy did underwater rescue he would fully inflate my BC as his instructor had told him to do with a jacket BC... Well with a backfloat you DO NOT fully inflate or you'll never be able to turn them over to do rescue breaths. I lay they bubbling at the surface relaxed and waiting for him to figure it out, after a little bit I pulled out my reg and whispered "its a backfloat BC, let out some air." The instructor heard me and said "Shut up your uncounsious!"

On another dive trip one of my assigned dive buddies had borrowed equipment. I did my normal inspections of all our equipment. It never dawned on me that the guy who said he was PADI open water certified for many years, had never used a dive computer before. When I did the first group (3 of us) air check, he couldn't reply... He didn't even know what to look at on the screen! I ended up giving him a crash course on reading a dive computer at 25 feet with nothing but pointing and my dive slate. I still just took the dangling computer every little bit and read it myself because he didn't know how to indicate his pressure that either of us could clearly inderstand. Guess he was day dreaming when we were talking about signals on the boat pre dive... sigh.

So, MY take... you need to understand the differnt equipment your going to run into...the sooner the better. If all your getting is a quicky resort class. You probably should sign up for an equipment specialty class when you get home from vacation.

Whats that old GI Joe cartoon line? "Knowing is half the battle!"

Even if a new dive buddy just dismisses equipment checks and communication reviews... do it anyhow. Take time to see what they have on their BC, where equipment is hung, what they carry, how they mounted it... If nothing else you might get a new idea on how to rig your BC.

I don't see it being much difference than the DIR divers who donate their primary.

DIR divers were not the first to teach donating the primary regulator. Some of us have been doing exactly that since secondary regulators were first introduced.

While I do not have the sp air i use the tusa ir3. i just found it more convenient than another reg and hose. besides if a panicked buddy grabs your primary, i found it to be convenient to have on the inflator. i just make sure to dump from the shoulder before ascent. i was lucky enough to have an instructor with the experience and willingness to eucate me on the correct use of my gear.

my 1.5 cents

It's difficult enough holding the thing in my mouth and managing an ascent. It boggles my mind that someone would actually teach donating it over their primary.

Nobody teaches donating an Air-2. It's not possible (well, OK it's "possible" but you would have to be stoned to try it).

Air-2 users are taught to switch to the Air-2 and donate the primary.

Terry

I personally think instructors teaching with only an Air II Alternate are not prudent instructors. What do you all think?

The instructor should be able to quickly give the student his primary and breath off of the Air II, Atomic SS1 etc.

If he/she can't they should not be using it and should not be an instructor.

On another dive trip one of my assigned dive buddies had borrowed equipment. I did my normal inspections of all our equipment. It never dawned on me that the guy who said he was PADI open water certified for many years, had never used a dive computer before. When I did the first group (3 of us) air check, he couldn't reply... He didn't even know what to look at on the screen!

That's not all that surprising. Without experience with a particular model, nothing except the remaining tank pressure is generally obvious.

Terry

As long as they're donating the primary and have the AIR II on a slightly longer set of hoses, it can work fine.

If it is possible to be taught to use it then it should be. Not all dive shops keep the Air II, but instructors should make students aware of them & how to correctly use it.
Imagine never seeing one, diving with a buddy who you have just met on the boat & run into difficulites. Accidents are hardly ever connected to just one problem as most can be solved simply. But running out of air & going to your buddy looking for his alternate which if been taught should be stored in a V shape around his chest, then suddenly finding its not there, infact there is not one. Panic would start to kick in. OK they should have done a buddy check, but I have seen buddy checks where poeple dive in without fins, or with there air turned off.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom