Should Instructors be teaching with Air II (or similar) Alternates?

Instructing Open Water students with Air II-ish Alternates is Safe?

• Yes, there is no safety issue with Air II on an instructor.

Votes: 50 52.6%
  • Yes, if all the students have Air II as well.

Votes: 10 10.5%
  • No, but students with their own gear should be allowed to use their Air II's..

Votes: 18 18.9%
  • No, and even students should not have Air II's.

Votes: 17 17.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

True, but look at how many other times this has been discussed on here & most people say they wont give away their primary. They usually come out with excuses like "why should I take my working reg out of my mouth & donate it".
The only people whose opinion matters are the instructors.

In my opinion everybody should be taught to donate their primary. However it seems that only the tec courses teach this and I cant see it changing anytime soon
It will change when the agencies wake up, that usually requires an expensive lawsuit.

As a user of integrated octos, I have found many people resistant to them claiming they do not breath well. This may be the case with some models but knowing your own equipment and how it functions will allow for ease of handling during an emergency. If it is too difficult then it should be replaced with something that is not!
I own 2 different models a Sherwood Gemini on my first BC and now a Aquatec Air 3 on my BP&wing. I prefer an integrated so I'm well aware of where the Octo is in a OOA event. It has no chance of getting loose, dragged or hung up. Because I'm assured or where it will be I don't worry about having to donate my primary.

The Gemini breaths as well as many primary second stage regulators. The Aquatec isn't as comfortable to breath on but it is adequate. I'm practiced and aware of what the Aquatec feels like to breath through. This again is a worry taken out of the equation.

The fact is that these devices are in use today and as such to prepare a new diver for diving the equipments use and safety requirements must be discussed and practiced.

It does not seem that many of you are seeing the actual question. I know Thal sees;

When I am teaching I attach an extra side breather (Oceanic Omega II) on a hose that is just the length of my arm. It lives in my left hand and its purpose is to insert it in a student's mouth if I think the situation warrants it.

The question is about the instructor's gear, not the students. An instructor with just an integrated alternate teaching the Open Water Class, where the students are not certified divers.

Other than that I tend to agree with Thal on the nature of this discussion, although I'm not a fan of primary donation.

It's actually pretty common in OW courses.

It was taught when I did my ANDI course, but then they teach other things like carrying your own bail out. Ga smanagement & a lot of other useful things.

With PADI doing the OW it was a case of been a doner & reciever breathing off the alternate. When I did my course we also had to do buddy breathing & again on the DM course. But I think this is no longer taught for OW. Only for the stress test part of the DM
So unless the course has changed over the past few years I have seen nobody taught to donate their primary through PADI

It does not seem that many of you are seeing the actual question. I know Thal sees;

The question is about the instructor's gear, not the students. An instructor with just an integrated alternate teaching the Open Water Class, where the students are not certified divers.

Other than that I tend to agree with Thal on the nature of this discussion, although I'm not a fan of primary donation.

Getting to the OP ...

In today's recreational world, I think a Scuba Instructor needs to be readily prepared (regardless of instructor's preferential technique) to demostrate and train Out of Air/Alternate Air Source drills and techniques using the following configurations:

1. Octopus - a second stage regulator attached to the torso area, and
2. Integrated Air Source - a regulator integrated to the Low Pressure Inflator Hose

I hope some day we will see more configurations including (a) long hose for primary regulator, (2) redundant air supplies, (3) H - Valves. Maybe that is too optomistic for Open Water Class :D

I, too, cover all 3 common configurations, as well as buddy breathing. I also advise them that the type of air donation your buddy uses is a must during the predive buddy check. If a student has an air 2, we use it. As far as the Instructor using one, I think that's personal preference and as long as the students are made aware of the types of secondary use common to rental gear at dive destinations, and it's use, all is good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom