Should I wear a snorkel or not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I probably just never dived in sufficiently rough seas (I wonder why), but I can't for the life of me figure out what's so hard about not inhaling when one's face is under water. So far I've always been able to turn away from the splashes, or wait for the wave to pass, before breathing in. Judging from these snorkel threads, there must be something wrong with me.
A new PADI specialty

On one dive, we were waiting for the divemaster to sort the other divers out for the descent while in rolling waves. The lady next to me had to use her regulator for 15 minutes on the surface. She said something to the effect of what she would give for a snorkel.

Why, was she out of gas? What does a snorkel give you that a reg doesn't, other than an unlimited gas supply?

With a snorkel, you can only breathe from it face down, and if a wave tops it you get a mouthful of water (unless you have a ball valve). With a reg you can lie on your back, your side, face down, whatever...

Not sure I get it. One of the main reasons we have this forum is that people post questions and other people can discuss why one approach is better than the other. Debating the advantages and disadvantages of something isn't criticism, it's helpful. Sometimes people change their long held habits based on new information that they get here. I certainly have...

I like this summary of the "anti-snorkel-on-mask" position.

Sharing info is great. However, if you read some of the replies, some folks like to be quite insulting or condescending and that’s just not productive or mature.

Sharing info is great. However, if you read some of the replies, some folks like to be quite insulting or condescending and that’s just not productive or mature.

Yeah, that's true. One of the downsides of an open forum. On the whole, I think that the mods do an amazing job of keeping things on track without making it so dull as to be uninteresting. If you are concerned about any posts, just report.

I probably just never dived in sufficiently rough seas (I wonder why), but I can't for the life of me figure out what's so hard about not inhaling when one's face is under water. So far I've always been able to turn away from the splashes, or wait for the wave to pass, before breathing in. Judging from these snorkel threads, there must be something wrong with me.
Agree. But don't forget that quite a few people take the OW course who aren't "comfortable in water" as they say, beforehand.

Yeah, that's true. One of the downsides of an open forum. On the whole, I think that the mods do an amazing job of keeping things on track without making it so dull as to be uninteresting. If you are concerned about any posts, just report.

Oh I’m not too concerned. As long as the little boys who hurl insults and troll the new divers section don’t mind a woman who snaps back. Lol:D

CAFC3C39-899D-4971-8C87-DA743D44BF5B.png
I just wanted to clarify I am not referring to the helpful guys as little boys. Just this dude. Cheers.

Its great to have when you see divers on the surface in OOA in a swell.
So much for that breathing from the regulator then. Good thing we don't do snorkel sharing. :)

I like having my snorkel with me, never had a hose entanglement or other issue. Do as you please.

Its great to have when you see divers on the surface in OOA in a swell.
So much for that breathing from the regulator then. Good thing we don't do snorkel sharing. :)

I like having my snorkel with me, never had a hose entanglement or other issue. Do as you please.

I’ll take one with me always. I used a soft one in training that really was not obtrusive. The one I have is a little large and a pain to pack and haul around. I think I’ll eventually get a collapsible one but for now I don’t want to fiddle around in the water more than necessary as I have enough to deal with getting comfortable and with buoyancy etc. Today for example at Lady Musgrave I could have stuck my head in the water to enjoy the view for some minutes before descending as there was much to see. The way I go through air I need all I can get for now as I’m not the most relaxed diver yet. Sigh.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom