Should I wear a snorkel or not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At higher levels of diving (tech, wreck, cave) you'll find that it is considered an entanglement hazard and forbidden in training. The long hose setup normally used in these types of diving can catch the snorkel when you share gas with your buddy and dislodge your mask. The location of the snorkel by your chin can also hinder deploying your necklace regulator.
This is a good example how a simple and very effective piece of diver gear can fall into disrepute because of poor training and a lack of understanding of its proper use. A snorkel should be a simple mouthpiece and tube and never attached to a mask. Once the reg. is brought into use the snorkel should be stowed and never left dangling from the mask or anywhere else. A snorkel is not an entanglement if it’s used properly. Just shows the level of training the people who banned it got.

Just like the title says, do I wear one or not? Thanks so much all and HNY

Wearing or not wearing a snorkel, like most everything with diving, is a matter of personal choice. If you believe having a snorkel provides you utility between the moment you enter and the moment you exit the water then you should dive with one. If you find that it does not bring you any utility and/or just gets in your way then don't dive with one...

...the choice is yours.

-Z

This is a good example how a simple and very effective piece of diver gear can fall into disrepute because of poor training and a lack of understanding of its proper use. A snorkel should be a simple mouthpiece and tube and never attached to a mask. Once the reg. is brought into use the snorkel should be stowed and never left dangling from the mask or anywhere else. A snorkel is not an entanglement if it’s used properly. Just shows the level of training the people who banned it got.

I'm interested in how you do this. Do you remove your snorkel before descending, then put it back on when you reach the surface?

Assuming you still need to attach the snorkel to the mask to keep it pointing in the right direction, what sort of mechanism do you use that allows this ease of removal and replacement? Clip, flexible band, under the mask strap, etc.

I agree on the simple snorkel concept without the valves. I do keep a roll up one in my dry suit pocket for agency compliance.

Assuming you still need to attach the snorkel to the mask to keep it pointing in the right direction, what sort of mechanism do you use that allows this ease of removal and replacement?

Not sure how most divers who use a snorkel do it, but I came across this little gadget (maybe I'll start carry my snorkel again):

OCNSLK.JPG

Oceanic Snorkel Lock Kit

I'm interested in how you do this. Do you remove your snorkel before descending, then put it back on when you reach the surface?

Assuming you still need to attach the snorkel to the mask to keep it pointing in the right direction, what sort of mechanism do you use that allows this ease of removal and replacement? Clip, flexible band, under the mask strap, etc.
I slide it under my mask strap when I surface. Hang my tanks and bcd from my boat and get back onboard. No matter what kind of sea is running your not going to get caught with a mouthful of water. Same when I get in. Hang my tanks and jump in with the snorkel in my mouth, clip tanks and switch to reg and stow the snorkel inside waist band till I need it when I return to the surface.

Not sure I get it. One of the main reasons we have this forum is that people post questions and other people can discuss why one approach is better than the other. Debating the advantages and disadvantages of something isn't criticism, it's helpful. Sometimes people change their long held habits based on new information that they get here. I certainly have...

I like this summary of the "anti-snorkel-on-mask" position.

I like the article; more or less my point of view. I was wondering whether @Angelo Farina has something to add about it (the article speaks about the training development in the US, not in Europe)

I agree on the simple snorkel concept without the valves. I do keep a roll up one in my dry suit pocket for agency compliance.
When I do carry my foldable snorkel (not very often) in my pocket, it is never attached to the mask. I have experimented and found that it will keep the needed position by just firmly holding it in my mouth. I suppose if you get tired of doing that you could just hold it with your hand, since you're not gunna be using arms for surface swimming.

So I used to use one of those oceanic snorkel keepers. They are very unobtrusive.

One time I used my spare mask by accident on a dive and left the normal one on the boat. The waves were breaking over our heads by the time we surfaced. I couldnt fix the snorkel to the mask, because the spare did not have the keeper on it. I tried to keep it under my mask strap, but that caused the mask to leak. So, I spent the rest of the surface time before pickup holding the snorkel with my hand.

Since then, unless I am diving sidemount or a tec backmount doubles configuration, I always use a snorkel.

On one dive, we were waiting for the divemaster to sort the other divers out for the descent while in rolling waves. The lady next to me had to use her regulator for 15 minutes on the surface. She said something to the effect of what she would give for a snorkel.

I probably just never dived in sufficiently rough seas (I wonder why), but I can't for the life of me figure out what's so hard about not inhaling when one's face is under water. So far I've always been able to turn away from the splashes, or wait for the wave to pass, before breathing in. Judging from these snorkel threads, there must be something wrong with me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom