Should I store a drysuit with the completely closed zipper?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Many of my friends dive SANTI and DUI Flex suits. I"m guessing that way more than half of them have replaced the zipper, and in some cases, more than once. In my first SANTI suit, it was replaced twice.

In fairness, most of this was more than a year ago so very likely changes have been made.
I have the impression that there was quite a bit of problems with the first plastic zippers that hit the market, but that the manufacturers have managed to get over that.

Many of my friends dive SANTI and DUI Flex suits. I"m guessing that way more than half of them have replaced the zipper, and in some cases, more than once. In my first SANTI suit, it was replaced twice. My second SANTI has a YKK and so far it's ok. It's just fussy and needs to be lubed every day I use the suit.

My wife has a BARE. Her T-zip only lasted about 30 dives and has been replaced with a YKK. (We asked for brass, but BARE wouldn't do that under warranty The new zipper only has a few dives on it.

In fairness, most of this was more than a year ago so very likely changes have been made. I love the plastic zippers when they work, especially in a front zip suit. Having said that, I doubt I'll get the 600 or 700 dives out of it that I always got with a brass back zip. But then I doubt the suit will last that long either... that's the price of lightweight..

I would be very surprised if a manufacturer like Santi hasn't solved this issue yet, the divers I know using their suits have had zero issues.
I'll stick with my brass zipper, not a fan of fixing things that aren't broken and all that. :)

I would be very surprised if a manufacturer like Santi hasn't solved this issue yet, the divers I know using their suits have had zero issues.
I'll stick with my brass zipper, not a fan of fixing things that aren't broken and all that. :)

They replaced my first one without batting an eye. They replaced the second one with a little protest. Then we all agreed that I had a bit of a lemon of a suit and the zipper was the least of the problems. Halcyon stepped up (as distributor) and replaced my suit with a new one, something I am extremely grateful for.

They replaced my first one without batting an eye. They replaced the second one with a little protest. Then we all agreed that I had a bit of a lemon of a suit and the zipper was the least of the problems. Halcyon stepped up (as distributor) and replaced my suit with a new one, something I am extremely grateful for.
How many dives did you have at each replacement ? (Roughly)

How many dives did you have at each replacement ? (Roughly)
38 and 45 exactly. My impression at the time was that if they lasted beyond that, they'd likely be ok.

38 and 45 exactly. My impression at the time was that if they lasted beyond that, they'd likely be ok.
Wow I am glad they replaced yours.

At the price of a Santi, you’d expect them to last a bit longer

Santi seems to have faith in the plastic zipper technology. At the price of a Santi suit, you would think Santi would offer whatever zipper they believed was best, as the additional cost of even a YKK metal zipper over a TIZIP would not be a large percentage of the cost of a Santi suit.

I have almost 90 hours of time on my Santi E.Motion's TIZIP. Mine dates from 2015, back when TIZIP apparently acknowledged a design or manufacturing flaw that caused the teeth to separate or delaminate or something like that--I don't know how to describe it. I have been expecting it to start showing that problem any day, but so far it looks fine.

I keep an eye on these threads because I know the E.Motion is not going to hold up forever to the increasingly hard use I have been subjecting it to, and I'll be in the market for a new suit soon enough.

Wow I am glad they replaced yours.

Well in fairness, it isn't a SANTI zipper. DUI and BARE, and I assume all other manufacturers that bought into the T-zip train, all had the same problem. The important thing is they replaced them.

The one I have in my new suit is a YKK plastic, and it's been ok. I mentioned it's fussy, but if I lube the dock every day I'm diving, and tuck the handle under the protective flap, it's generally dry.

Having said all that, the brass zippers I had were completely dry for hundreds and hundreds of dives.

@Lorenzoid I think the first T-zips were either good, or they weren't. Nothing in between. If they made it past 40 dives or so, they were likely going to last "forever". Whatever that is...

I got a new drysuit recently and got talked into the plastic zipper it’s a YYK and apprently they have come along ways and was told it will last.
Currently have 25 dives or so and maybe 35 hours and I much much prefer it over my old brass one.
Hopefully it lasts.

fWIW I hang dry mine and then Roll from the feet. I leave the waterproof zipper open but the flap cover zipper closed to reduce flexing on the inner zipper because I firmly believe a zipper only has so many zips in it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom