Should I store a drysuit with the completely closed zipper?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've got the reply from Waterproof customer support:

"The TIZIP should be stored closed in order to protect the zipper from dirt and damage, and also prevent it from becoming bent/disformed."

It does not say anything about the docking end, although I explicitly asked them about it.

I've got the reply from Waterproof customer support:

"The TIZIP should be stored closed in order to protect the zipper from dirt and damage, and also prevent it from becoming bent/disformed."

It does not say anything about the docking end, although I explicitly asked them about it.

Andrei...

I have an in-home multi purpose storage room/work-shop...both of my suits...brass/TIZIP...are stored in vented garment bags...no dust/dirt/damage...stored cleaned/lubed/zippers open...

Best...

Warren

I wish TIZIP's guidance was clearer. Does storing a TIZIP zipper closed shorten its life or not? Does folding the suit (rather than hanging it) risk the TIZIP zipper become "bent/disformed"? It seems to me that storing it closed and then folding the suit would INCREASE the risk of the zipper becoming "bent/disformed," not decrease it.

I have a fusion suit. Inner zipper is 2/3 closed and the outer zipper is full closed. I think full open on a hanging suit will put a lot of stress on the ends of the zippers. 2/3 will give a lot of support, but allow air to circulate. The outer skin is very porous and let’s air flow even when full closed.

I like to keep my suit on a hanger. Unless I stuff the cuffs inside the front zip, my suit's cuffs and seals will drag the floor. I prefer them not to, so when I hang up my suit I prefer to keep the zipper open and stuff the cuffs inside the suit. My previous suit had a classic brass zipper, my current suit has a TiZip. So be it.

T-zip is a POS zipper, period. No matter how you store it, it's likely going to fail shortly anyway. I suggest following the manufacturers advice, if for no other reason than you can say you did when someone asks you as you are (hopefully) claiming a replacement under warranty.

T-zip is a POS zipper, period. No matter how you store it, it's likely going to fail shortly anyway. I suggest following the manufacturers advice, if for no other reason than you can say you did when someone asks you as you are (hopefully) claiming a replacement under warranty.

Stoo, are you basing that on recent information? It’s my understanding TIZIP had some design problems a few years ago (like when mine was manufactured), but their current designs seem to be reliable. No?

Stoo, are you basing that on recent information? It’s my understanding TIZIP had some design problems a few years ago (like when mine was manufactured), but their current designs seem to be reliable. No?

No that's based entirely on my experience as well as Mrs. Stoo's over the past few years. We both have YKKs now and they seem fine, if not a little fussy. I lube mine prior to each dive day, and find tucking the handle under the outer zipper helps.

I would hope they've changed the design...

Having owned a half dozen dry suits or so all with brass zippers, I've always opened the zippers completely and draped the suit at the waist over a hanging bar. I use a broom stick with pipe insulating foam around it. No stress anywhere around the zippers, and the suit gets ventilation.

Like a poppet seat on a 2nd stage, once a brass dry suit zipper takes a sets it never seals right again. Keeping the zipper closed will do just that.

That's my impression, too. The plastic TiZip zippers had more than their fair share of childhood diseases, but I also have the impression that they've overcome that.

It remains to be seen, though. Brass zippers have proved themselves to be reliable for a very long time. A lot longer than plastic zippers have been in existence. But I'm fairly confident, given the recent developments.

Back
Top Bottom