Should I renew my DAN-EUROPE Basic Membership for a trip to PG?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MartinNorway78

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi

I am a memeber of DAN Europe, bought it while diving in Egypt. I have a BM (Basic Membership) and it sais it is valid world wide, if I interpret the conditions correctly...

I am heading for a month diving in PG now in June & July and my membership is up for renewal end of June, my question is: Is this membership any good in Phillipines? (Not for teaching, just for diving myself) Are there DAN coverage in PG?

I costs 80 EUR or something and just want to make sure I am not throwing my money out the window as I will not dive so much the coming year... anybody knows if one can by monthly chamber/rescue insurance localy down there??

Thanks for any info
br
Martin

If I understand it correctly the Philippines is part of Southeast Asia so it would be covered.
And you don't need to have a membership from the Philippines area because it covers you worldwide.

DAN Divers Alert Network : About DAN : IDAN
DAN Asia-Pacific: Regions of coverage include Australia, New Zealand, South Pacific Islands, Southeast Asia, India, China, Taiwan, and Korea.

DAN coverage is valid worldwide, independent from where it was purchased.

DAN provides an insurance and chances that you will need it while diving in PG are very small. But like with all insurances, it will give you piece of mind knowing that you will not need to worry when anything would happen. Up to you to decide whether you will take the risk or not.

There is a hyperbaric chamber in Batangas, which is just a short boat ride away from PG so in case something happens, you will be near.

In Egypt, taking a short term dive insurance for the duration of the stay is possible, but I have not heard of it in the Philippines. Maybe one of the locals can correct me if I am wrong.

Happy diving !

Kris

The cost of the insurance versus the cost of the chamber makes it an unbeatable bargain. Not worth the risk for the money. Don't leave home without it.

I recently returned from a trip to the wrecks in Coron Bay, Palawan. A young male diver suffered a mild case of DCS after his second dive. He chose not to go to the chamber. One was available in the town. Not sure what the costs would have been but no doubt DAN would have covered it.

Good choice Martin! Yes, the DAN insurance will cover emergency evacuation fro Sabang (PG) to the Batangas hyperbaric chamber (or to manila). it is well worth it as you won't need to arrange payment before being evacuated if something arrises.:shakehead: Usually, your dive shop will note down the DAn information from your subscription should any problems arrise.

Well worth it!:coffee:

I agree, I have renewed it :)

leaving in 3 hours (cant sleep)
Oslo-London-HK-Manilla... happy I got a ticket with Cathay
(good experience with them) and the Boeing machine (not the new seats at the Airbus which sucks)

Will be hanging around LBC, diving with them, and shooting pool at Big Apple. I will be the drunk Norwegian small guy winning all the games... feel free to say Hello and have a Red Horse with me :)

Sooooooo loooooooking forward to diving PG again!!

Martin

I would certainly renew it now, and consider upgrading, now please everyone correct me if I'm wrong, as I thought all these years, that the basic membership covered treatment in a hyperbaric chamber? But when I called DAN they said basic coverage only covers 'Transportation' and NOT treatment, which could cost thousands!!!!

Can anyone verify this for me?

I would certainly renew it now, and consider upgrading, now please everyone correct me if I'm wrong, as I thought all these years, that the basic membership covered treatment in a hyperbaric chamber? But when I called DAN they said basic coverage only covers 'Transportation' and NOT treatment, which could cost thousands!!!!

https://www.daneurope.org/eng/serv2.htm

--> Hyperbaric therapy is covered under all plans offered with unlimited coverage*

* The maximum coverage has no limits only if the emergency is organized and directed by DAN

Kris

I can't speak for DAN outside the USA as stated in this thread by Camiguin but my understanding of DAN coverage is the same as yours and was also told to me by DAN. The basic membership does NOT cover hyperbaric chamber treatment but only transportation to one and not under 50 miles from home. I went through this with them years ago because all my diving on Maui is less than 50 miles from home.

You have to add one of the three medical options to get covered for the cost of the chamber and waive the 50 mile restriction.

This is the quote from the DAN site for basic membership. The membership coverage page says nothing about chamber coverage, only evacuation coverage:
http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/membership/benefits.asp
"24-Hour DAN TravelAssist
As a DAN Member, you automatically receive DAN TravelAssist and up to $100,000 of evacuation assistance coverage. Effective for both diving and non-diving injuries, this benefit is provided by AIG Travel Assist, a world leader in emergency evacuation services. Your evacuation coverage begins when you are traveling at least 50 miles/80 km from home and call DAN TravelAssist to arrange your evacuation".

Scroll down the page to "Exclusive DAN Member Opportunities" then to "Dive Accident Insurance" and there you will find three plans to choose from at additional cost and they cover the chamber payment along with other injuries.

Those medical plans are secondary to your primary health insurance which is not an issue. One way or another the bill will get paid.

I have always felt DAN was not upfront and clear about the chamber coverage. I wonder how many USA members think they are covered for the chamber costs with their basic membership?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom