Any downside in lapse of DAN membership?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pdhenry

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I've been laid up since February and am scheduled for some fairly major surgery mid-June. Needless to say I won't be diving any time soon.

My DAN insurance expires about now and I'm considering letting it lapse until I'm ready to get back in the water. Is there any downside to this plan? I don't care whether I keep the same DAN number, and I don't plan to be doing any travel that would make the medical evacuation coverage desireable.

Thanks.

I've been laid up since February and am scheduled for some fairly major surgery mid-June. Needless to say I won't be diving any time soon.

My DAN insurance expires about now and I'm considering letting it lapse until I'm ready to get back in the water. Is there any downside to this plan? I don't care whether I keep the same DAN number, and I don't plan to be doing any travel that would make the medical evacuation coverage desireable.

Thanks.

I look at them as a deserving charity/cause. I would not cancel personally for a diving hiatus.

I asked DAN if I could let my membership lapse and then start it again this fall, when we plan to travel again for diving. They said no problem and no extra charges or anything, just happy we plan to renew in the future.

I had let it lapse for a couple of years. Then rebooted no issues.

I took an 8-year hiatus. When I re-enrolled, and to my surprise, I got my same number back....

I look at them as a deserving charity/cause. I would not cancel personally for a diving hiatus.
I'm going to second this one. They do great work and the biggest downside of a lapse is denying them those funds.

I hope you recover quick and are back at it soon.

If you decide to let the insurance lapse, do whatever is necessary to remember to reinstate. I believe there have been divers on this board that got bit in the butt because they forgot to renew, and then had a dive problem. I have not dived since Sept 2019 because of Covid and a surgery, but maintained my coverage throughout.

If you decide to let the insurance lapse, do whatever is necessary to remember to reinstate. I believe there have been divers on this board that got bit in the butt because they forgot to renew, and then had a dive problem. I have not dived since Sept 2019 because of Covid and a surgery, but maintained my coverage throughout.

There was the Canadian diver who was diving in Ireland. He fiancée was nagging him to renew his dive insurance before the trip. He didn’t. He got a bad hit and they had to raise money via a GoFundMe to get him back to Canada.

If you're not diving? Short answer: No.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom