Should I get the AOW manual?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jaycanwk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm taking my AOW in June with NAUI and the course fee does not include the manual which they said was optional ($30Can) as there will be handouts, aswell as taking notes during the class. However, I would like to do some reading ahead of time so my question is, is the NAUI manual a good manual or are the other manuals from different agencies that may be written better, more content, etc., that I could buy instead?? Or, is there perhaps a book/manual written by an independant author that would be recommended that would cover AWO content??

Thanks for any recommendations.

JASON ~~~

jaycanwk:
Should I get the manual?

I'd get the automatic. :wink:

Get the one your instructor advises you to get. That's how the course will be lead. If you were hoping to learn a skill from a manual, you might get a basis for a framework. For that, yes, any will do. The Encyclopedia of Diving is a good start.

The book is always a good idea. It is worth the money as you will be referencing it for years to come. We all forget the finer details fo things over time.

When I teach the NAUI AOW I use the Master Diver Text, it is the old AOW book with a new name and a few sections re-arranged. The NAUI AOW exam is true/false and your instructor may put extra information in it, the true/false part comes from the new advanced book and is really common sense stuff. The handouts and notes are probably what is going to make up the rest of the exam since the instructor said the book was optional.
Ber :lilbunny:

Ber Rabbit:
When I teach the NAUI AOW I use the Master Diver Text, it is the old AOW book with a new name and a few sections re-arranged. The NAUI AOW exam is true/false and your instructor may put extra information in it, the true/false part comes from the new advanced book and is really common sense stuff. The handouts and notes are probably what is going to make up the rest of the exam since the instructor said the book was optional.
Ber :lilbunny:
That was gonna be my recommendation as well ... get the Master Diver text. It's probably NAUI's best teaching text.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom