Should I buy this package??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since you are military, I'd look into any discounts or rental opportunities you may have locally. House of Scuba definitely offers military discounts: Find the best of House of Scuba promo codes, coupons, deals and discounts. Save with Milsaver Today!

If there's an active dive club or group on the base, you may be able to get loaner equipment or used gear. Or just look around social media. The Navy is a big part of San Diego, there are lots of active/retired sailors who would be more than happy to help you out.

Thinking about buying this bundle Hog Pro BCD Package

It's the HOG hybrid pro BCD looking to upgrade the regulator to the D3

my issue is I have never really heard of HOG besides on diver supply website.. theres really no reviews on their gear and I'm going be stationed in San Diego and worried about getting serviced??
My opinion only
Hog BP/W package with D3.

Good luck.

Since you are military, I'd look into any discounts or rental opportunities you may have locally. House of Scuba definitely offers military discounts: Find the best of House of Scuba promo codes, coupons, deals and discounts. Save with Milsaver Today!

If there's an active dive club or group on the base, you may be able to get loaner equipment or used gear. Or just look around social media. The Navy is a big part of San Diego, there are lots of active/retired sailors who would be more than happy to help you out.

Yea I think I'm ask the San Diego scuba club for their advise maybe someone is selling a used bundle or something , thank you

my issue is I have never really heard of HOG besides on diver supply website.. theres really no reviews on their gear and I'm going be stationed in San Diego and worried about getting serviced??
When service is needed many LDS will not touch it. So if shipping it some where for a few weeks to be serviced by someone you do not know and getting it back hopefully with the service done correctly so that you will not have to ship out again is not an issue for you, go for it. At LDS I teach out of we have customer try out service done in shop when they pick up regulator. We also offer them use of pool at no charge to test it as well

I service HOG regs all the time for service members. They get priority on the bench. My son is USAF Intelligence. I've had regs arrive from Okinawa and be back in the owner's hands in a week thanks to USPS priority.
My usual turn around is 48 hours if I know it's coming and that includes going to the pool and diving it for an hour or so. It's why I get HOG regs from all over. Including regular customers in Florida who have shops near them. I'm faster and provide better service.
One of the reasons I learned to service regs in the first place was a shop that took 3 weeks to get my reg done. When I found out that a full service can be done in less than 2 hours, that was the last time I let a shop touch them.
I'm not the only HOG tech that can ensure you have a reg properly serviced.
I'm also a HOG reg tech instructor.

The D-rings on the BCD look like plastic or aluminum and the buckles are cheap and breakable.

Not too sure as I'm currently in Italy and have only dove here where it's super cheap ..but divers supply seems be one of only companies I can find that does the scuba packages likes this and seems best bang for your buck

There is also a SoCal forum on Scubaboard, that also links to clubs there. SoCal

You may also find good good recommendations for your needs there, as well.

The D-rings on the BCD look like plastic or aluminum and the buckles are cheap and breakable.

Actually all of the d rings, except for the two near the pockets which are just what I consider convenience clips for a small light or maybe a whistle, are steel including the ones around the bottom that are actually placed where they are useful. Just plated black. The buckles are no less quality than any other jacket style BC on the market. I have one here in front of me.
The only modifications I have made to mine is to remove the back pad as it's not necessary and add a 1.5 inch crotch strap that there is a slot for. Whenever I sell one, I throw the crotch strap in as part of the deal at no extra cost.
#cameron echols
Also, unless you plan to go sidemount, there is no reason to upgrade from the D1 1st stage to the D3. Breathing wise the average diver (rec or tech) would not be able to see the difference.
Save your money for a couple air fills.
Rather than upgrade to the D3 I'd swap the yellow octo for another Classic adjustable second stage. I'm a HOG dealer and had have been selling the line since 2011 and diving the regs since 2008.
The D1 is a workhorse reg and has been proven on dives to well over 300ft and miles back in caves.
The D3 was designed primarily for sidemount diving where the 360 degree turret with hoses on is highly desirable.
It's not necessary for backmount singles or doubles as you don't need a turret that swivels that much.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom