Should I buy from my LDS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What the shop has also is at least one of every mask, snorkel, and fin they sell in the pool building for students to try during their class. They find a mask three weeks in they like the owner sells them a new one off the shelf. Two weeks later the fins they like, they buy a pair of that same model. If for some reason a model is not in the pool building he takes a new one off the shelf and says here. Try it. If it works good deal. If not just leave it in the pool building.

If he allows them to buy the used student gear at a deep discount as well then that's an excellent way to cycle out student gear before it gets whipped. Great method with tanks too, especially when they are around 1-2 years out from hydro.

If he allows them to buy the used student gear at a deep discount as well then that's an excellent way to cycle out student gear before it gets whipped. Great method with tanks too, especially when they are around 1-2 years out from hydro.

If they really like "that" mask they just used he will. They don't get it given to them but they will pay less than for a new one. As such the "demo" gear if you will gets fairly regularly changed. But what we find most often is they want that mask, fins, snorkel, etc but they want a new one in the box. And.that's due to the decent prices he has anyway.
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

my advice would be to compare the prices at the dive shop with prices you can find online. if they are in the same ballpark, buy them at the shop. I just bought almost all of my gear online. the only thing I got from a diveshop was a new mouthpiece and quick disconnect for my ss1.
I got all my stuff from scuba.com from their display model clearance sale. I bought a BP&W, regulator, and gauges, and saved close to $800 vs. regular prices. there is no way any diveshop could have come close to competing with that in my opinion.

I wanted to buy my stuff prior to getting certified (against most peoples advice) and outside of a diveshop because I believe most things in life are a hustle. I was brand new to scuba, never dove before and didn't want to buy what someone was trying to sell me instead of what I should be buying. If you go into 5 different shops, each of them will tell you that what they sell is the best. If you are brand new to scuba, you are taking a chance of unknowingly buying the wrong gear. There is a ton of good info on this board as far as brands, models, opinions, etc. use it and buy it based on that, rather than what someone is trying to push off of their shelves.

I'm not bashing dive shops at all, the one I ended up finding after I bought my gear is great. they didn't give me any crap about not buying my gear from them. I'm sure they realize that they will be servicing it, and I will be diving with them very often, so the money I initially didn't spent with the will make its way to their registers.

---------- Post added October 13th, 2013 at 09:32 AM ----------

Friday I got done work early and decided to check out a dive shop in south jersey. I didn't need anything in particular, just killing time. While I was there, the girl behind the counter showed me a $189 dive light. She told me they had them manufactured for the shop and was showing me its advantages over other lights.
Here is their light from their website: American Diving Supply Tactical Dive Light ADL-100 Anodized Aluminum, LED, Dive Light, Tactical Light, Diving Light, Dive, Diving, Light , Flash light , Underwater, Krypton, Krypton-lite

oddly enough, I found the same light via ebay, but with some time I'm sure I can locate an Asian seller directly and get them for a much lower price with whatever name I want engraved on them:
1200LM CREE XM L T6 LED Underwater Diving LED Flashlight CREE LED Torch | eBay
1000 Lumens 10 w CREE LED Under Water Diving Flash Light Great on Land as Well | eBay

the guy selling them for $57 is making money, the guy selling them for $89 is making money, why does that shop need $100+ more for the same light? :confused:

I was at $400 for mask fins and snorkel! I'm glad that I followed my good sense and posted here.

Holy Crap, I picked up a Oxycheq Mach 5 40# wing, Hammerhead backplate and all the trimmings brand new for a little more than that.

Scubapro Jet Fins at a garage sale $25, basic snorkel at LDS $6 (30 years ago), Mask at LDS around $60 (the cheap ones never fit right). I'll buy anything that I need to fit at the LDS like a wetsuit, boots, gloves, and mask. I also give them the opportunity to give me their best price before I buy from the internet. Because of gear I want, and the way they do business, they are not too interested in going out of their way for less than full retail.

Bob
--------------------------------------------
There's A Sucker Born Every Minute. -- P T Barnum

You can get a set of Hollis F-1's, HOG tech Fins, or Dive Rite EXP Fins, and probably a couple others that come standard with spring straps for way less than 200.00. The F-1's can be had for under 175 and the HOG's and Dive Rites for under 150.00.

Now I am a HOG dealer and if you knew you wanted a short, maneuverable fin for wrecks or caves that is what I'd recommend. But if I were you living in SoCal where you are likely to be doing open ocean with moderate currents IMO there is one choice out of the three. The Hollis F-1's. I do not sell them and not a Hollis dealer. But I was one of the original consumer testers for the F-1's and subsequently the F-1 yellow tips. That is your best choice for an all round fin for power, control, and the type of diving you are likely to do. And you don't need to add anything to them.

I am on the same dilemma, I am getting certified through different LDS since original (first LDS I contacted) could not certify me in time. The second LDS only carries one brand because is the "best" I was just told that the Hollis F1 I purchased for myself and my wives Dive Rite's EXP (purchased at original LDS) were garbage. I was even told today that atomic regulators were crap. I really hope I could order through them to support the course the equipment; however when they consider what you originally purchased bad it is difficult. So far I have enjoyed the certification process except for the advertising of the LDS manufacturer. I really want a Halcyon BC and unfortunately both LDS do not carry them. Hopefully the original LDS will order it for me... I really want to support LDS...sometimes difficult.

Why would you want to support a LDS that actively lies to you? Hollis F-1s "garbage"? Dive Rite EXP "garbage"? Atomic regulators "crap"?

Something stinks (and it's NOT your gear choices).

Why would you want to support a LDS that actively lies to you? Hollis F-1s "garbage"? Dive Rite EXP "garbage"? Atomic regulators "crap"?

Something stinks (and it's NOT your gear choices).

Exactly!...its great to have this board to get information.
Bought Oceanic Oc1 for computer and they got upset (sorry... but not comparable in any way to galileo sol or meridian); that got them very upset.
I do not understand why they would limit themselves to only ONE brand. I will certainly be buying M1 Atomics thanks to what I have read in this board even though they are considered crap. Of course buying atomic regulators from the other dive shop that didn't get us certified; however even though they do have other brands they do not carry halcyon. Hopefully they will be able to order.

Your typical LDS has dealer status with one or two manufacturers. They have to meet sakes goals for each to maintain their status and to get price breaks. Selling anything else hurts them.

So, they claim that it's their choice to not sell anything else. They call the other stuff "crap" and "garbage" and their stuff "the best." You can often find two LDSs in an area. One will sell Aqua Lung ('cause it's "the best") and the other will sell ScubaPro ('cause it's "the best"). Each will call the other LDS's stuff "garbage."

Don't buy into this madness.

Figure out what you want and get it from where you want.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom