Should I buy from my LDS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I completed my cert at a dive shop but like you too OP they are limited on the types of brands they have. I bought my personal gear thru them(snorkel, mask, fins, boots and gloves) just cuz I would feel sorta bad if I didnt. As far as the other gear I plan on buying it thru different sources. Im buying my regulator and Octo(both Apeks) to support the shop, but plan on buying other stuff from different sources. Don't feel forced into buying everything from the shop if its not what you want. For example my BCD I'm getting from a different shop. My dive computer, SPG and wetsuit I'm getting from Leisurepro(online)

Another tip for online, ALWAYS call the vendor to see if you can get an additional discount. Alot of these vendors are forced by the manufactorer to offer MSRP pricing on thier website. If you call the vendor and ask for a discount you can ussally get one. My BARE wetsuit is advertised on Leisurepros website for $399 but when I called they lowered it to $299.

Thanks for all of the help. Robert was kind enough to talk to me on the phone and give me a great deal of guidance. What he said was really in line with a lot of what I had read here, I appreciate all of the help that you guys have given and I can't wait to get in the water!

I'm waiting to buy online until tanks can be filled online. The only online buying I do is Ebay.

Check out used fins on craigslist. Also, maybe you should do some diving beforehand to see if you would even want spring straps. I've done lots of beach diving in socal in everything from glass to 5-6ft surf and I've never needed them.

Check out used fins on craigslist. Also, maybe you should do some diving beforehand to see if you would even want spring straps. I've done lots of beach diving in socal in everything from glass to 5-6ft surf and I've never needed them.

Spring straps are the greatest diving invention since the regulator. Anybody that wears fins needs spring straps. I wish those things had been around when I started diving!

Please do yourself a favor and TRY BEFORE YOU BUY! This includes fins if at all possible. If you look at how many different types of fins there are out there, its because not only brand/style works for everyone. Make sure the fins match your kicking style.

For example, I almost exclusively frog kick, and when I do flutter kick, as a former competitive swimmer, I overkick split fins. Plus splits aren't good for frog kicking, so they're totally not an option for me. On the other hand, I know someone who is a very weak swimmer, so the splits are the only fins that get her anywhere without getting leg cramps.

Take your time choosing your gear. It's expensive and you'll want to get it as closely to right as you can the first time.

Yeah my mind was blown when I was in the shop and one of the guys said that the springs were like an $80 upgrade. There was a set of fins that were less than $100, but by the time you added the springs to them, he said I may as well buy the split fins that came with them for $200, since they were also a better fin. I didn't know any better at the time, it was my first time talking to anyone, but it didn't make a ton of sense to me. I came home that day and logged onto this site. That's when I discovered all of the, ahem, very strong feelings about fins. lol

My fins were $30..from the LDS... and I bought $30 spring straps as well from another LDS (all new).
Shop around, there is absolutely no need to pay big bucks for stuff like this.

Also, in your original post, you didn't mention what the "non big brands" were... to you, they may mean nothing, to some of us, they may be as common a brand as the two big names you mentioned... never discount any gear based on brand just because it doesn't show up in a magazine.

I don't think any of the brands I use show up in magazines, or get ad time anywhere that I've seen. I've been diving my gear for years and saved a lot of money with the brands that I used.

RTdiver, you point out two reasons to by from the local shop: service and student discount. I also am in favor of every diver owning their own gear. You have another plus- and honest DM who speaks to what he knows, and limits his comments to what he has used. That sounds like a reputable shop to me. As to comparative cost, my experience is that most shops have one or more types of gear that they price low, and others that are high. So to comparison shop, look at more than spring straps. Have a great time with your class and Happy Diving!
DivemasterDennis

I seem to be in the minority but just don't see the big deal with spring straps. If you inspect your gear regularly, rubber straps work just fine and don't break. I think spring straps may be slightly easier to don/doff, but I'm not fully convinced of that.

My first fins were full-foot snorkel fins I bought as a mask/fin/snorkel set for $25. They're still my favorite fins. Then I bought a pair of Tusa Splits because I couldn't wear my full foot fins in cold water. They're still my second favorite pair of fins. I've tried a few types of full blade fins and simply haven't found enough difference to care whether I'm in blades or splits. I can frog kick in splits just fine, and helicopter about as well (which is to say "not very well") in either blades or splits. I am looking to find shorter bladed fins to replace the splits for traveling, though. So far the alternatives I have are too floaty for use in cold water so I'm still looking. I've never paid more than $60 for a pair of fins (of the 8 or so pairs I've bought) and just don't see any justification to do so.

By all means, though, support your local LDS if and when it is in your interest to do so. IF you can afford to buy big ticket items at your LDS, then it's a good idea to do so simply because it will help them stay in business. If they don't treat you like a valuable asset to their business, though, there are other options.

buy as little as possible ,and rent as much as possible for your class. in your initial class you don't even know if your going to love diving.

things you should absolutely buy up front from you're shop is a good mask & snorkel, boots, weight belt, weights, and make them price match for a good set of fins. this way if they don't fit or you have problems during the class you can always trade out.

and yes, do not waste your money on split fins. if they have Dive Rite Exps (should be between $125-150) buy them. I own a pair and recommend them for recreational diving. big thing is get one with the coil spring straps as they are easy to get in and out of, makes life a lot easier.

very good brands for gear are:

Zeagle ( one of the first weight integrated BCDs and there regulators are the best breathing in the industry ( my opinion)).

Hollis ( recognized in the Technical diving industry awesome dry suits, maks and great lights, great regulators second to Zeagle, they also just came out with some CCR systems that are awesome)

Dive Rite ( huge in the tech cave diving area revolutionizing the modular BCD ( trans pack), big in side mount with the nomad, makes a lot of different gear in the dive industry from fins and masks to SPGs and stage bottle kits)

I personally avoid the boutique brands that are mass marketed and over priced.

hope this helps.

T.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom