Should I buy from my LDS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I seem to be in the minority but just don't see the big deal with spring straps. If you inspect your gear regularly, rubber straps work just fine and don't break. I think spring straps may be slightly easier to don/doff, but I'm not fully convinced of that.

Yeah, you are in the minority on this one. :D I used to rubber straps and then tried spring straps. I won't go back, IMO they are much easier to don/doff because you don't have the rubber strap grabbing the neoprene or rubber soles on your boots, rock or wet suit boots.

I've never paid more than $60 for a pair of fins (of the 8 or so pairs I've bought) and just don't see any justification to do so.

I still have a pair of US Diver jet fins that my sister bought for me in 1974 at KMart for $25.00. If I could still use them I would put spring straps on them.

By all means, though, support your local LDS if and when it is in your interest to do so. IF you can afford to buy big ticket items at your LDS, then it's a good idea to do so simply because it will help them stay in business. If they don't treat you like a valuable asset to their business, though, there are other options.

I think supporting your local shop is a good idea to but like FJ, if my shop can't do right by then I find out who will and buy from them. That being said, my LDS treats me really good so I buy mostly from them. Recently I bought a HOG Zenith 2nd stage from DRIS because my shop doesn't carry them and I wanted to give HOG a try.

Hey guys, for my birthday a couple of weeks ago, I got a gift cert from my fiancée and she paid for my scuba cert. The only thing that I'm waiting on is for the shop to get enough people together for a Saturday class. At this time they only offer classes during the week which conflicts with my work schedule. I can probably adjust, but instead I'd prefer to use the time to prepare for classes and research gear.

My question is in regards to the gear, the shop only carries 6-8 brands of which only two are ones that I recognize as major brands. Scubapro and Oceanic. I spoke with the DM and he said that all he uses is Scubapro so he cannot speak to the quality of the other brands that the shop carries. My issue is that I'd like to be able to have some type of selection. It makes me wonder if I am really getting a good deal on things when I have so little to choose from. The fins that carry are all about $200, not that it's a big deal, but I've seen so many other brands that I'm interested in looking at. All of the fins that I have seen are also split fins too, I'm sure that they could order others, but there are only about 6 pairs on display.

The advantage of going through the shop is that they offer a 10% discount since I am taking the class through them, but with their pricing, I'm not sure if this is much of an advantage. For example, the spring straps that are on the back of the open fins run $79, but when I look online at other retailers, they are much less. They service the brands that they sell so that's a good thing. At least I won't have to ship anything off if I purchase through them, and if there is something that I purchase that does not work for me, they will let me exchange it.

Am I really missing out by purchasing through this shop and not buying online or is it really not going to make much of a difference in the end? BTW this is the only dive shop in town. I do not know any other divers so I really have no one else to ask but you guys. I live about an hour and a half North of Los Angeles, so worst case, I can drive to LA and make purchases there.

Thanks for all of your help!

You're going to find out, (unless money is no object) you will at some point, look for the best price. The real trick is to have enough knowledge and to decipher brands 'our stuff is better and shop 'buy our stuff'. Concentrate on life support...reg, BC & computer. That's right, I said computer. You will want to have a computer that will clearly shows you NDL. Just did two wreck dives on air becuase buddy wasn't nitrox cert.....NDL cut short both dives. Will your computer clearly alert you when NDL is getting short? Choose stuff you can grow with and not have to replace in a year or two. That's just wasting money and sometimes, a lot of it.

I seem to be in the minority but just don't see the big deal with spring straps. If you inspect your gear regularly, rubber straps work just fine and don't break. I think spring straps may be slightly easier to don/doff, but I'm not fully convinced of that.

My first fins were full-foot snorkel fins I bought as a mask/fin/snorkel set for $25. They're still my favorite fins. Then I bought a pair of Tusa Splits because I couldn't wear my full foot fins in cold water. They're still my second favorite pair of fins. I've tried a few types of full blade fins and simply haven't found enough difference to care whether I'm in blades or splits. I can frog kick in splits just fine, and helicopter about as well (which is to say "not very well") in either blades or splits. I am looking to find shorter bladed fins to replace the splits for traveling, though. So far the alternatives I have are too floaty for use in cold water so I'm still looking. I've never paid more than $60 for a pair of fins (of the 8 or so pairs I've bought) and just don't see any justification to do so.

By all means, though, support your local LDS if and when it is in your interest to do so. IF you can afford to buy big ticket items at your LDS, then it's a good idea to do so simply because it will help them stay in business. If they don't treat you like a valuable asset to their business, though, there are other options.

i will probably get in trouble for this as well but I do like my Tusa Splits as well for a calm day - especially if i'm just snorkeling. I love my Hollis F1's for everyday diving though.

the only gear that "has" to be bought is mask/fin/snorkel. and i would say that your LDS doesn't have to be the one in the same city to support. There is probably shops north or south of you (ask in the Cali forum for recommendations) - your mask needs to fit properly but doesnt' have to cost an arm & leg. -- your local sporting goods store may have a couple decent masks even - check out the brands & try them on.... Dick's sporting goods carries Cressi.

i will probably get in trouble for this as well but I do like my Tusa Splits as well for a calm day - especially if i'm just snorkeling. I love my Hollis F1's for everyday diving though.

the only gear that "has" to be bought is mask/fin/snorkel. and i would say that your LDS doesn't have to be the one in the same city to support. There is probably shops north or south of you (ask in the Cali forum for recommendations) - your mask needs to fit properly but doesnt' have to cost an arm & leg. -- your local sporting goods store may have a couple decent masks even - check out the brands & try them on.... Dick's sporting goods carries Cressi.

Yeah...I made the mistake of being talked into buying a $95 ScubaPro mask when I could have bought something less expensive that would have been just as good. All under the pretense of, "I dive ScubaPro because I like to dive the best". I was one of the newbies that fell for that BS and dished out over $600 for my wife and I for "required" gear for OW class and that was with a student discount.

Yeah...I made the mistake of being talked into buying a $95 ScubaPro mask when I could have bought something less expensive that would have been just as good. All under the pretense of, "I dive ScubaPro because I like to dive the best". I was one of the newbies that fell for that BS and dished out over $600 for my wife and I for "required" gear for OW class and that was with a student discount.

That's why we don't require our students to purchase gear for OW. Instructors and shop owners think we're idiots for it. Customers love it, especially when the only other shop within 200 miles of here requires purchase of M/S/F as well as having OW prices considerably higher.

I don't require students to have their own gear for OW class until checkouts. And they don't have to buy it from me. Usually they do not. I have an arrangement with the shop whose pool I use. I send my students to them for personal gear and give them first crack at other gear as well as have my students rent their checkout gear from them and I pay a small amount for unlimited use of the pool during the class. If it takes me 9 weeks instead of 6,7, or 8 there is no extra cost. And pool use includes scuba gear, tanks, and weights.

What the shop has also is at least one of every mask, snorkel, and fin they sell in the pool building for students to try during their class. They find a mask three weeks in they like the owner sells them a new one off the shelf. Two weeks later the fins they like, they buy a pair of that same model. If for some reason a model is not in the pool building he takes a new one off the shelf and says here. Try it. If it works good deal. If not just leave it in the pool building. So there is no pressure to buy right away. And his prices are more than fair. Meet or beat net prices on masks, snorkels, and fins. He knows that people are smart and can check. They also can find out that the mask one retailer is selling for 60 bucks costs the dealer 15 - 20.

fjpatrum, I assume you are talking about standard rubber fin straps that have the buckles. Releasing those buckle "tabs" with 7 mil gloves (not to mention mitts) can be a real hassle for me. I often wind up taking my glove off to do it. And in cold water (same as you, no?) helping OW students get fins off. I wish they all had spring straps, and always mention it.

This is a really good setup. That's a great way to be able th try out different equipment.

I don't require students to have their own gear for OW class until checkouts. And they don't have to buy it from me. Usually they do not. I have an arrangement with the shop whose pool I use. I send my students to them for personal gear and give them first crack at other gear as well as have my students rent their checkout gear from them and I pay a small amount for unlimited use of the pool during the class. If it takes me 9 weeks instead of 6,7, or 8 there is no extra cost. And pool use includes scuba gear, tanks, and weights.

What the shop has also is at least one of every mask, snorkel, and fin they sell in the pool building for students to try during their class. They find a mask three weeks in they like the owner sells them a new one off the shelf. Two weeks later the fins they like, they buy a pair of that same model. If for some reason a model is not in the pool building he takes a new one off the shelf and says here. Try it. If it works good deal. If not just leave it in the pool building. So there is no pressure to buy right away. And his prices are more than fair. Meet or beat net prices on masks, snorkels, and fins. He knows that people are smart and can check. They also can find out that the mask one retailer is selling for 60 bucks costs the dealer 15 - 20.

---------- Post added October 11th, 2013 at 03:10 PM ----------

That's about where I was headed until I talked to you guys. I was at $400 for mask fins and snorkel! I'm glad that I followed my good sense and posted here. I've found plenty of great info and I'm so glad that I'm going to be able to afford this. Lol. I know that there are differing opinions on equipment but they are all beneficial to me. I couldn't imagine having to make these decisions without good guidance. I'm just going to buy the necessary three for the class and then feel my way around before I get othe gear. I want to build a setup that I won't outgrow too soon, but is also cost effective. I have some things in mind and the searches on this forum have given great results.

The question regarding if you should buy from your LDS depends entirely on how good they are and what type of service will they give you. If you have a problem with their gear how will they treat you if want to exchange or get a refund. If seen the owners at my shop take back a mask after it's been used once in the pool and treat is as a "new" return with full refund. Will your LDS to the same?

If they are a certified Scubapro dealership I doubt the "other" brands are any of the other large names in the industry. It seems like shops carry either Scubapro, Atomic, or Aqualung exclusively with no overlap of the three. But, just because you might not have heard of other brands doesn't mean they won't be good. I never heard of Zeagle when I first started diving. I actually wanted an Aeris BC because of reviewed in Scuba Diving Magazine. But, my LDS didn't carry that model and I wound up with a Zeagle Stiletto instead. Couldn't have been happier with the "new" brand I never heard of and looking back I'm glad I didn't get the other BC. TAlk to other divers, local dive clubs are a great way to ask about gear. Do try before you buy if you can.

As for splits, I did get a pair of split fins and I like them. They function well for me and I have no intention of changing them as of yet. I've not experienced any problems with them even in current having just returned from Cancun and drift diving. Despite admonitions that they won't work in current they were fine. Unless you are looking to dive caves or other specialties and will dive recreationally they are just fine for an average vacation diver.

That's why we don't require our students to purchase gear for OW. Instructors and shop owners think we're idiots for it. Customers love it, especially when the only other shop within 200 miles of here requires purchase of M/S/F as well as having OW prices considerably higher.

I should add that for the LDS that we went thru for our OW class, basic gear was mask, fins, snorkel, boots and gloves. The only thing we bought that was not ScubaPro were the boots and gloves. The LDS I go thru now has all brand new Oceanic BC's and is in the process of restocking other gear to have better stuff available to rent or use for class. I am not sure what they do for personal gear because we have all our own gear now. I did have to rent a 1st & 2nd stage from them a couple of weeks ago because mine were in the shop. He had me pull one off of the used gear/for sale table and charged me $5 for the weekend. I thought that was pretty cool of him.

Back
Top Bottom