Should I buy a pony bottle?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most of our rec. divers dive with ponies. It is the way to dive.

Once you make the move up to a pony, you will not look back!
I used to dive with a pony, but no longer do. I used to dive with a PLB in a canister, but no longer do. I used to carry three cutting implements, but now only carry one. There is a cost to everything you carry. I decided that I was adding a lot of complexity to my diving to ensure against scenarios that were extremely remote.

If you want to attack the real risks of diving—the ones more likely to kill you, then hit the gym or pool every day for some cardio work; hit the doctor's office for a physical if you're 40 or over, or have other risk factors (Matt Beckwith, I guess you can give yourself a cholesterol test, EKG, etc. :wink:); dive regularly to keep the rust away; and if you're buddy diving, stay close to your buddy.

I used to dive with a pony, but no longer do. I used to dive with a PLB in a canister, but no longer do. I used to carry three cutting implements, but now only carry one. There is a cost to everything you carry. I decided that I was adding a lot of complexity to my diving to ensure against scenarios that were extremely remote. If you want to attack the real risks of diving—the ones more likely to kill you, then hit the gym or pool every day for some cardio work; hit the doctor's office for a physical if you're 40 or over, or have other risk factors (Matt Beckwith, I guess you can give yourself a cholesterol test, EKG, etc. :wink:); dive regularly to keep the rust away; and if you're buddy diving, stay close to your buddy.
Yes, I'm really anxious to see whether lugging tanks around is going to be easier after all the exercises I've been doing since my last trip. I had no idea how important fitness is to scuba diving, since after all you're weightless in the water. But it isn't just the weight of the gear walking to the water, but also when you're in the water and exhausted from having lugged your gear to the water, you are now highly unsafe in the water. Finally, surf and current will really take it out of you if you're not in shape.

Since you're a new diver I'd skip the pony for now and make sure you and your buddy stay close and in visual contact. The pony does make things a little more complex and awkward but is necessary for solo diving, but being a new diver you should not be doing solo yet.

Adam

It would appear that there aren't that many solid dive buddies around (are there not many being trained thay way?), if the majority of recreational divers are using a pony bottle.
You can use a pony and still have a solid buddy.

However, I believe in self-sufficency, that doesn't mean that you are diving alone.

Yet, if you have a camera in your hand you are on your way to becoming a solo diver.

When I white water kayak, I always go with a buddy. But to some degree I am kayaking alone and must be able to take care of myself.

Isn't this true with diving?

Yet, if you have a camera in your hand you are on your way to becoming a solo diver.

Absolutely not true if you have, and are yourself, a solid buddy and you both view the dive as a team endeavor and the photography as a team objective.

I found a good article from Quest a while back on the topic of team diving and photography. If I can find the link, I'll post it...

Ultimately it depends in your style of diving. There's no right way for everyone. The right way for me in my environment could be different than the right way for you in your environment...

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Good day, Matt Beckwith,

I agree with Dive Bug Bit Me, grantwiscour and others that now is a time to practice your skills. Two of the most fundamental aspects of diving are good air management and buoyancy control. Most divers go OOA because of poor gas planning or inattentiveness, not because of catastrophic gear failure.

My advice with respect to the use of a pony bottle is re-posted from http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/tanks-valves-bands/372271-pony-redundant-set-up-2.html#post5761909 , below:

At least PADI and NAUI teach that there is a place for a redundant air supply (i.e., a pony) in diving, especially with deep dives. The choice is really up to you.

Personally, I like the idea of a redundant air supply but at this stage in my diving I am not into doubles. I therefore opt for a pony on some dives. Dives on which I believe that a pony is reasonable are: deep, cold, solo, or any combination thereof. I may well have missed something.

There was an excellent link at: http://www.scriptkiddie.org/diving/rockbottom.html (note: this link appears to be broken) which shows that, if you want to go deeper but within recreational limits, a 19 is a good size, and 13 is a tad too small.

The best advice that I can offer is that, if you choose to dive with a pony, practice deploying it and stowing it regularly. Since a pony has a small capacity it will run down quickly. I top mine off from my main tanks with a device such as this: Tank to Tank Equalizer With Gauge discounts on sale IST

I find that surface-swimming face-down with one mounted on your back is a pain. You might consider a stage/deco straps such as those indicated in Stage/Deco Straps and Hose Retainers by Dive Rite - Dive Gear Express rather than a mounting bracket.

I sling mine like this: DIR-diver.com - Stagebottle rigging. The only objection that I have heard to slinging a bottle is that it might get in the way if you are lobster hunting. I would stress that, if you dive with a pony, deploy it regularly so that it is second nature.

I prefer to sling my pony for the following reasons:

1. I can put the pony on or take it off in seconds - no tools, no hassle. I suppose that I could "hand it off" to someone underwater, but I don't think that this will realistically be necessary;
2. I can always see my pony tank and the reg. I can see if my reg is free-flowing, or if there appears to be a leak from the O-ring. If it snags on something, I can see what it snagged and fix the situation;
3. My basic gear configuration is unchanged - I use a primary and a bungee'd octo/secondary necklace. The pony reg is bungee'd to the pony bottle, far from my other two regs, and therefore will not be confused with them; and
4. I can consult the pressure gauge on my pony - this gauge is obviously connected to the pony and therefore will not be confused with my main tank pressure.

As a final note, many tech divers will pressurize their stage bottle then turn the valve off to prevent inadvertent gas loss during a dive. Perhaps one day I will do this, but so far, my pony is pressurized and the valve stays open during the dive. This might not be great if I had to rely on that gas for a deco obligation, but I believe that I am likely to see a leak in the pony and I don't do deco dives.

Safe diving.

I used to dive with a pony, but no longer do. I used to dive with a PLB in a canister, but no longer do. I used to carry three cutting implements, but now only carry one. There is a cost to everything you carry. I decided that I was adding a lot of complexity to my diving to ensure against scenarios that were extremely remote.
Same here!

I used to dive doubles, with a can light, 2 backup lights, reels, bags, sometimes even with a 40 slung...etc...etc. I was also in the process of getting certified on a KISS CCR, but sold it, when I got this crazy idea to live on a boat. More recently I even dumped the drysuit.

Now I'm taking a real minimalist approach. I got rid of all my back plates, and switched to this tiny little travel plate, I got a tiny little 18lbs. wing, the smallest you can get...with the exception of this tiny orally inflated one, that's geared towards cavers. I even debated no wing at all, but decided that lift on the surface on a boat dive is a must. I dumped the canister, and only use my mini scout lights now. Depending on the dive, I'll bring a spool and a surface marker, but I can't remember the last time the reel or the lift bag even got wet. This summer, I even dove in nothing but a bathing suit, for the very first time. IT WAS AMAZING! I did just pick up a skin, though, for protection from critters at least.

The point is, I'm getting rid of everything, and really streamlining. The less gear the better. These days, I'm a full time warm water wimp, and most of my dives are shallower. But I am close the Keys, and these two little dives called the Duane and the Spiegel. So...here's the question.

For a more experienced diver, with a very low SAC, who's not going to have an OOA due to dumbass reasons, and not doing any kind of technical diving. At what depth do you think having a pony, for the unlikely event of a gear failure is a good idea? Or as a lot of people have been saying, is my redundancy just my buddy? Come to think of it, I dove the SG this summer on just a single 80, as well as my buddy. And plenty of less experienced divers go to that wreck everyday, and dive it on a single tank with no pony.

I use a 13 cuft pony. Depends on the profiles I will be diving if I use it. I have a bracket that attaches to my tank band in which the pony connects to and this stays on my band all the time - the pony quickly and easily mounts on it. The only problem in traveling with is that some shops will make you pay for a VIP to refill it since it has been drained and opened up for transport also a good idea to have a weight pouch on the other side of the band to offset the bottle weight the is off yor centerline

I dive with a 13cf pony bottle and like the peace of mind if gives me. I usually wear it in a bag that's buckled through my BC. The bag has an elastic band that I wrap around the valve so it can't slide out of the bag. The rig sits under my right arm and doesn't really bother me at all. I dive with the air turned off (pressurize, check, and turn back off). I do have to remember to shift a couple of lbs to the left side to counter the added weight on the right side. Otherwise you find yourself with a bit of a list while moving along.....

I went through NOAA dive training and it was required for all of our dives, so it's really all I've ever known. We are allowed to use our equipment on personal dives as well, and I still wear it then even though it isn't required on anything that isn't a NOAA "working dive".

I'd recommend getting one, just spend some time in a pool to get used to how it feels. Practice utilizing it, and securing it and re-stowing it underwater before taking it out on a real dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom