Should I buy a pony bottle?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FPDocMatt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
After reading about scuba accidents, I conclude that the most likely way to die doing this is due to a problem with one's air supply.

We typically dive with a buddy, but one's buddy is not necessarily going to be nearby. Since I'll be diving with stranger buddies from time to time, I'd like to eliminate this risk of not having air at depth.

Then I'll have the confidence that, if I'm careful to follow accepted procedures, I'm unlikely to have a fatal problem while scuba diving.

Because if I'm at 90 feet and my first stage conks out, and I have no buddy nearby, I'm going to be up a creek without a paddle.

So this gave me the idea of buying a pony bottle.

On reading about them, I find that, in order to have enough air to reach the surface safely, you have to buy one that's got a fairly large capacity. That is, unless you're only going to be diving shallowly, you need a significantly sized bottle.

Which makes me wonder, is it going to be cumbersome and awkward?

If so, what's the best position to wear it?

Finally, if I have a pony bottle, and I get on an airplane to fly to the Caribbean, will I be able to even take it on the plane, and if I do, will I get it filled at the destination dive shop?

Thanks in advance.

You may have to take the valve off to get it on the plane.

Diving with redundancy is always commendable, as long as you practice, practice and practice and only use it as a true bailout rather than factoring it into your dive plan. Size for recreational diving can still be manageable - 20 or 30 cuFt would be more than enough as an escape and give you time to figure things out. Ponies can be strapped to the main tank or slung from the BC - your choice.

This is more conservative than those small "It saved my life" bottles (but even then, they're better than nothing when you can't find your buddy).

To carry them on a plane, they generally need to be empty and disassembled, meaning that a Dive Op may want to vis them before reassembly and filling.

I took my 19 cu ft bottle to Cozumel but never used it. You take the valve off and plug the opening with a plastic screw-in dust cover which you can get from any dive shop. I packed it in check-in baggage and it was inspected by hand on every leg of the trip.

There's rarely, if ever, anything wrong with more extra redundancy dupilicate stuff.

If you travel with a pony bottle, airline and TSA regs will mandate that the bottle be emptied and the valve removed, so you'll need to get it filled at your destination. I think 20-30CF tanks are plenty for OW, recreational depth bailout bottles.

You can either sling it at your side, or clamp it to your primary tank. Try both methods and see what works best for you. You'll need to spend some time practicing reg switches.

All that being said, it's also true that you are very unlikely to ever need the pony on the sort of dives you'll be doing, so the only real answer to "should I" is "if you want to".

Something to think about since traveling with a pony bottle is a bit of a pain:

Look into getting a stage kit for an al80. You'll get a clamp, a tamer and some bolt snaps that you can pack into your dive bag for nearly no weight. I've never found a dive op that wouldn't let me take one more bottle if I felt it necessary and didn't put myself beyond their parameters.

You just sling it between your chest and hip d-rings. You'll have to buy or set up a stage regulator, but you were going to need a regulator anyway and we're really only talking about hose lengths as the difference anyway (40" hose for a stage regulator, 6" hp hose for the

There are some things to consider when going this route and 1 of which is the primary depth which you intend to be most of the time. If you have a high sac rate you would want a larger tank of course but Id recommend bare minimum 13 CF. This is another thing to consider is where you want to place it. Some BCDs come with the ability to place a pny on them such as a Zeagle Ranger LTD. They have a complete system designed to go on the bladder. Draw back is though its only a 6 CF. One neat way I saw to accomodate the Pony is to get straps made for it with 2 clips and placeit horizontily along your front of your bcd using the D-Rings.

Generally they are more nusiance then they are a asset because most people simply never have to use them yet they are another piece of equipment to maintain and service, you have an extra step to getting ready to get in and break down post dive. and the increased weight issues. Are they good to have. Absolutely more back up is better then less or just enough back up.

As to your story of a first stage failure I recently heard a story from an LDS that someone had attempted to service their own gear and put the first stage back together wrong. It did fail at 30 feet. Luckily she was able to make a successful CESA. So it does happen.

I am going to come out with a different point of view. Your profile suggests only 25 dives. I would not buy a pony yet.
A pony adds to task loading and detracts from your being streamlined. In the case of an emergency this could create additional problems for you.

Instead focus on core buddy skills. Keep yourself in open water and remember that as a last resort, CESA is an option.
What you were taught in your OW course works and will keep you alive.

Pony serves a serves a useful purpose and I use them from time to time (particularly for deeper recreational dives as I am a heavy breather).
A pony does not however, substitute for poor buddy skills or keeping an eye on your SPG.

To take a tank on an aircraft, you need to take the valve off. This means a visual before you can fill it again.

After reading about scuba accidents, I conclude that the most likely way to die doing this is due to a problem with one's air supply.

We typically dive with a buddy, but one's buddy is not necessarily going to be nearby. Since I'll be diving with stranger buddies from time to time, I'd like to eliminate this risk of not having air at depth.

Then I'll have the confidence that, if I'm careful to follow accepted procedures, I'm unlikely to have a fatal problem while scuba diving.

Because if I'm at 90 feet and my first stage conks out, and I have no buddy nearby, I'm going to be up a creek without a paddle.

So this gave me the idea of buying a pony bottle.

On reading about them, I find that, in order to have enough air to reach the surface safely, you have to buy one that's got a fairly large capacity. That is, unless you're only going to be diving shallowly, you need a significantly sized bottle.

Which makes me wonder, is it going to be cumbersome and awkward?

If so, what's the best position to wear it?

Finally, if I have a pony bottle, and I get on an airplane to fly to the Caribbean, will I be able to even take it on the plane, and if I do, will I get it filled at the destination dive shop?

Thanks in advance.

You will answer a lot of equipment questions for yourself by gaining experience as a diver. 95% of the diving I do with my friends is under 80 ft. No one carries spare air or a pony bottle. While many of us had experienced and free flowing 2nd stage and had to come to the surface, having a 1st stage "conking out" and denying air is something I have never seen.

That being said, there is nothing wrong with being safe. If choosing between one or the other, I would suggest a spare air, as that should allow you ample time to surface should you experience a failure in your primary gear. You can clip it on your bc where you find it accessible.

Also when diving with a "buddy" you are not familar with. Make it clear what your obligation is to one another, but prepare and dive like you are on your own.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom