Should I bring my cold-water gear to Florida?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

anchochile

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm a cold-water diver with about 20 dives under my belt and will be doing my first warm-water diving next month with a few days in Key Largo. I own a full set of gear for cold-water diving and I'm wondering which gear I should bring on this trip.

Specifically I'm wondering about my BP/W and my fins.

My BP/W is a 5lb SS backplate and 30# wing. The wing is certainly overkill, but it would work. And maybe I'll be overweighted with the steel backplate. But would I be happier in my overkill BP/W vs whatever jacket-style BCD I'm able to rent down there? Is it maybe worth buying a 18-20# wing to use for this trip with my backplate and harness, since it could be the foundation for a warm-water BP/W in the future?

And for fins, I use Deep 6 Eddy fins, which I love, sized to wear over big heavy cold-water boots. Will it be super annoying to wear heavy boots on all my dives in Key Largo? The alternative would be either my snorkeling fins, or whatever I could rent down there.

I got chilled wearing a 3 mm in October. Usually wear a cap to keep warm. 5 mm would not be bad for October... under the water it doesn’t matter. A 5 lb plate would be perfect for a 80 aluminum rental. Might still have to add a few lbs with a wetsuit. When there are jellyfish- you would be glad for a full suit. Open fin are a little dangerous for a boat, and of course, for shore dives - the boots will protect you. I use a 5 mm boot all the time.

I think your 5lb plate and 30lb wing are just fine. Boots and fins too. In fact they should work great.

I personally use a 6lb SS plate with a 30lb wing and XL Edde's with 5mm hard sole boots in warm water with both 3mm and 5mm wetsuits. Has always worked great for me and not over weighted.

While you may not need 30lbs of lift I doubt you will even notice the extra capacity imo.

The one thing I'd consider changing is using a lighter aluminum bp (mine's 2# I believe) instead of the ss.

It's nice to be able to use your own gear vs rentals, and I haven't had any problems with my feet being too warm in my cold water boots (5 or 6 mm) even in tropical diving. If you love your fins, use them! I wouldn't count on getting rentals that you like nearly as much. Imagine yourself in an ill-fitting jacket that you have to constantly adjust or pull a certain way while diving, and boots with holes in them and annoying buckle strap fins... :(

I also don't think it's overkill. Lots of us down here dive steel plates and hooded vests all summer long.

If your baggage can make weight limits without extra charges,,,,,,,then dive would you are comfortable with.

I have travelled to FL with a 36# wing and SS BP. It is no problem to use, it’s just a problem to pack! :)

I have since acquired an aluminum plate to save 4# of weight. I still bring my Sherwood Blizzards. I’ve had people mock my ‘crap-breathing’ regs and tell me to get some ScubaPros. I ask them: and how would those do in 34 degree water? They usually grimace and say that *they* won’t function in 34 degree water, so why should their regs? I smile and walk away...

The only difference between cold and warm water diving is the thermal protection and the weight needed.

Bring your “cold water gear” and dive in a 3/5mm.

What tank do you normally dive cold? What will you be diving warm?

In short, your cold dive gear is a good warm setup as well. 30# will work just fine. 5# of SS might be just what you need with an AL80.

I’m currently in a similar predicament, though somewhat amplified because I dive steel tanks. I used to live (and dive) further north and would dive 7 mm wetsuit with 5 lb steel backplate. Now I’m living in Georgia and about to start diving in Florida. Steel tanks are what I prefer for the extra air, so the steel backplate might have to go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom