Using drysuit and BP/W concern?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the info. Looks like a great deal! I'll check them out in more detail when I get back from church later today.

I hope you said hello for me!

If you're concerned then you can go with a system that doesn't require a bolted single tank adapter, but those bolts and wing nuts are standard on all doubles and are recessed in the channel of the backplate itself.
Unless you have a particular reason to get Zeagle if it's part of a uniform, you would be hard pressed to beat this deal from @DiveGearExpress which has a design that doesn't require a bolted single tank adapter as well.
Thanks for info. on this rig! I think I'm going to go with it! Looks like a top quality kit at a great price to get into a BP/W setup. Like the low profile of the wing and being able to get the tank closer to the backplate and more streamlined.

does the indentation in the backplate itself and most backplates cause enough recess to prevent this from happening?

Thanks!
Yes. 30 years and counting. No problems.

Thanks for the info. Looks like a great deal! I'll check them out in more detail when I get back from church later today.
@tbone1004 is right: it's a good deal and nice kit.

I bought one when converting to BP/W and the tank is quite solid without a STA/book screws and just the provided cam straps. And honestly I've been impressed with the DGX wing - for its single-tank 30# lift it is very affordable compared to the others and seems quite durable.

For what it's worth when I was doing my ITT with backmount doubles, I ripped a hole into my 5mm wetsuit from either the bolts or the wingnuts. I can't remember how much the bolt protruded by. Once I get a set of doubles here I'll make sure the bolts are short AND I'll still get a backplate pouch/soft padding.

Two easy options. One is a thread protector.

Attachments

• Thread protector.jpeg
    Thread protector.jpeg
    19.5 KB · Views: 44
The bolt should not protrude beyond the level of the tank edges. If it does, use a shorter bolt (or cut it off & smooth with a file).

If you're concerned then you can go with a system that doesn't require a bolted single tank adapter, but those bolts and wing nuts are standard on all doubles and are recessed in the channel of the backplate itself.
Unless you have a particular reason to get Zeagle if it's part of a uniform, you would be hard pressed to beat this deal from @DiveGearExpress which has a design that doesn't require a bolted single tank adapter as well.
Thanks for letting me know about the DGX custom BP/W package! I ordered one a few weeks ago and couldn't be happier! The whole scuba unit is much more stable on my back both in and out of the water. It keeps the tank closer to my center of gravity and makes it feel not quite as heavy. I got it with a SS BP. I tried it out at a Lake Lanier north of Atlanta last Mon with my 7mm wetsuit, an older 72 cu. ft. steel tank and the Dive Rite weight pockets and it trimmed out underwater like a dream. Love the fact it doesn't need a STA either. It took a while to put it together since this was my first time, but I can do it now with ease.
Really like it being to customize it for exactly what I need for each type of diving I'll be doing.
I'll be diving it soon with my 95cu.t ft. steel tank and drysuit when the water and weather turns cooler.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom