Should I be upset wtih my LDS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IMO You are being taken advantage of.

If you like the LDS otherwise or a particular instructor you might wish to speak openly with the owner. See if you cant get some of these "fees" carried by the shop. After all you are materially contributing to the safety of the students the shop serves.

Here is the big BUT. If you do chose to speak directly you need to be prepared to walk away. Please don’t burn any bridges. The world is a small place. In the long run this lack of respect will continue to erode your relationship with the shop unless you do something about it.

Good luck and keep cool.

Tollie:
IMO You are being taken advantage of.

If you like the LDS otherwise or a particular instructor you might wish to speak openly with the owner. See if you cant get some of these "fees" carried by the shop. After all you are materially contributing to the safety of the students the shop serves.

Here is the big BUT. If you do chose to speak directly you need to be prepared to walk away. Please don’t burn any bridges. The world is a small place. In the long run this lack of respect will continue to erode your relationship with the shop unless you do something about it.

Good luck and keep cool.

Good advice.

I, too, think you are being taken advantage of quite badly. DM's in general do not get nearly as much as they deserve from an LDS (and I have been there), but this seems way over the line to me. I suggest you quiety poke around and see what is available eslewhere. Weigh your options and make an intelligent move without any dramatic sendoffs.

My dive shop is terrific in terms of customer service and the little things like that. There's no "special" on things like that -- everyone gets a dive book (and a nice one, at that) when the take the OW class there -- period! Also, they get additional discounts on the gear they have to purchase if they are enrolled in the class. The owner takes a lot of pride in taking care of his customers, and once, when he forgot to tell me about a $200 rebate for the Suunto Cobra that I bought from him (the rebate offer expired by the time I found out about it), he gave me a huge discount for the next year on all my trips and gear with his shop for the next year -- which added up to a lot more than $200! I don't mind paying a little extra to support LDS's like this one, versus the Internet or discount shops. I think you did the right thing by your friend in telling them to go somewhere else!

Arent all the costs you are incurring included in the course price of each student that takes a class?

I dont understand how the owner can make you pay your way if you are working/helping him out.

It sounds to me that the owner is trying to make as much money as possible and short change his staff at the same time. Thats not a good work ethic and that shop will not do well over time if that is his attitude.

DM work isnt the greatest fun but it is also fundemental in helping make classes go smoother etc. It is also unsung work.

I would quietly look around for other dm work.

I'm not a DM, but I do know a number of people (mostly instructors) that work for my LDS.

They don't get a lot in the way of pay, but they do get unlimited use of the pool, equipment breaks, they have an instructor equipment pool where DM's/Instructors can pay a reasonable fee, and dive nice equipment stored onsite at the pool and prevent personal equipment from getting trashed by chlorine. They also get free tanks/air fills for any class they are working with, and the LDS pays for expenses (gas/room/entrance fees) and provides company trucks to use if going on weekend trips to assist with classes.

There maybe additional benifits like breaks on Travel expenses and Trips to places like Coz, but I have not really asked about that.

IMO your LDS is playing nickle and dime with the people they depend upon for income. NOT a good way to treat an employee regardless of if you are a contractor or part time staff.

Last straw for me would have been long before the log book thing, like the first hidden fee.

You may be able to write some of the expenses off on your taxes... I am no tax attorney but I know that some job-related expenses can be. Make sure you save all your receipts and make a couple of inquiries at tax season. Who knows, if you usually have to pay in on taxes you may be able to recoup some of these expenses.

Sounds like this LDS has some pretty shady practices... and have a pretty crappy way of thanking their helpers.

Time to look for a new shop or instructor to DM for. I was a DM twice for a instructor like that. I like to DM but not when it costs me hundreds of dollars in gas,lodging,meals. I found a instructor that picked this up for his DM's even if you were not lead. He's was a great instructor to work for. I finally quit being a DM when I discovered that the last year it cost me over $2000 to be a DM.

There are people who will take undue advantage of other people. The more you let them, the more they will take. Basically, you have to stop them, because they won't.

Consider your options. Decide on new reasonable and acceptable new rules of the game for you, you are getting some good advice here from people who have been there, and calmy explain them to him. Be prepared for the outcome either way.

Back
Top Bottom