Should I be upset wtih my LDS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Toadie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've been working as a DM with my LDS for over a year now and along the way there has always been hidden fees like pool fees, split on gas fees, hotel fees, etc. That's just something I've learned to accept but this latest one is kind of the last straw.

I have a friend of mine who wants to start diving. I didn't know but my LDS had a special where he would give a free log book to anyone signing up for the open water course. This was for the month of July... so on Aug. 1 I ask him about costs and he didn't mention the special. Now I realize that it was over by one day but I would have thought that me bringing him a customer, and the fact that I DM for him, he would have volunteered the special. In anycase he said well that's X for the course and 20 bucks for the log book.

So I told my friend to go somewhere else.... I mean honestly, I don't complain about the extra stuff I have to pay for that you never tell me about, I work for free, and you can't even extend your deal by a day for your own DM?

Yes, you should.
In fact, I wouldn't work for someone who had any kind of "hidden fee". Sounds like your LDS is run by a bunch of jerks; time to work (...volunteer?) somewhere else.

im with you... you should have been shown some appreciation for bringing in a new customer to the store!

at the lds my hubby teaches thru, if you recommend anyone you get a $50 voucher to spend in the shop and ive sent them business over the past few years (i prefer to remind them that ive done this than cash those vouchers in because it gives me more millage :) )

The dive shop should have went out of their way (by ONE day) to look after your buddy and show their respect to you as a free/non paid DM and a valued member of their training team

cheers,

My LDS has been after me for some time to become a DM. Sure, I would like to help out, but I have to decline on the basis of personal beliefs.

I don't believe in slavery.

I'll stay Rescue Diver for the duration, I imagine.

If I felt like it was slavery I would have to agree. I actually do the DM thing just to keep in practice and I do enjoy it. The part that bothers me is that I seem to get nickled and dimed. Here's some examples...

If we go to a pool to do the practice work for the students it cost me 6 bucks.

If we go to do certifications locally we have three sites, one is about 40 miles, the other 4 hours, the other 8 hours. I have to bring my own vehicle or split gas. He has a quad cab truck and a trailer so he always has lots of room.

If we do go to the further dive sites I either get my own hotel room or split the room wtih him.

The best part is I didn't learn these things until I was already there ready to help. I think you're right though, I'll just go through another shop, I'm kind of tired of dealing with it. This is the second student I would have brought to him.

the shop i was with didn't give me gas money but i always had other stuff i could count on . . . air, free rental gear that kinda stuff . . . we had to pay our way into the quarries unless we were primary in the class, but def would at least bring it up with the shop give them one more chance to fix it otherwise there are other boats at the harbour so to speak. . .

Sounds like you are paying to work for them, like being a dive master is some sort of special treat. If anything they should be paying your way as far as gas, food, pool, and hotel when on trips. Start looking for another shop to work for. I've worked for two shops and I've never had to pay my way to work with them.

I would agree. They should have given you the log book.

I did a refresher course this weekend. It was a one on one session at the training pool. My instructor/LDS salesman also had just sold me a new Aqualung Legend reg. After the session I asked how did I owe. He said nothing, I'll just consider this a new equipment checkout. He saved me $75. He knows I'll be back for a new BC and probably a wetsuit, both will be significantly discounted according to him. But even still I was not expecting a no charge session.

Mike

To heck with that shop! I get more privelages than that with the shop I do stuff for and I'm not even officially an DM/Inst. yet!

Toadie:
If I felt like it was slavery I would have to agree. I actually do the DM thing just to keep in practice and I do enjoy it. The part that bothers me is that I seem to get nickled and dimed. Here's some examples...

If we go to a pool to do the practice work for the students it cost me 6 bucks.

If we go to do certifications locally we have three sites, one is about 40 miles, the other 4 hours, the other 8 hours. I have to bring my own vehicle or split gas. He has a quad cab truck and a trailer so he always has lots of room.

If we do go to the further dive sites I either get my own hotel room or split the room wtih him.

The best part is I didn't learn these things until I was already there ready to help. I think you're right though, I'll just go through another shop, I'm kind of tired of dealing with it. This is the second student I would have brought to him.

Don't know what the 6 bucks for but if you incur any cost while helping the LDS MAKE MONEY you need to find a new LDS! They need you alot more than you need them. There is little you can't do on the internet that a dive shop can do for you.

Back
Top Bottom