Should diving agencies have stricter requirements for certification and check?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whoever has told you this, has told you utter nonsense.

Virtually all first regulator stages are capable of delivering much more gas than two divers could ever breathe.
For instance, Mares Abyss MR22 set a world record when 101 diver breathed simultaneously from it for 40 minutes, without overwhelming it.

I never looked at the regulator manual but I can imagine it may say 1 diver only for the simple reason that they don't want some idiot taking people diving without equipment and have them breath off the octo. I have read stories about people doing this. Scubapro also used to do those demos with multiple divers breathing off a first stage.

Looking back, I think the OW struck a reasonable balance between convenience, cost and capability. Most people do the course and manage to survive.

I've seen competent divers who showed little regard for their fellow divers and the marine environment. While skill does play a part I think this is more an attitude thing. It's about looking beyond the end of your nose. I recent did an overseas trip diving in Asia. After taking a photo one of the divers span around, clobbered the fish and coral she had just photographed and then kicked me on the shoulder as she took off. That is what not to do. I've heard stories of divers practically destroying a dive site due to their carelessness. A few words as part of a dive briefing would at least remind divers of the need to be careful around coral formations and of the need to minimize the sediment being stirred up.

In Australia the government plays a big part in monitoring and protecting marine environments through marine parks. In some cases dive operators are given licenses with conditions including the need to minimise damage to the environment. That is one way of doing it though it tends to become a costly exercise and some of the dive operations are run like a boot camp. :(

Back on the subject of training, the divers most at risk are those who rarely if ever go in the water apart from a dive while on holidays. I'd like to see more stringent entry requirements for the course. ie. A demonstration of good snorkeling skills including the ability to fin at a reasonable rate and swim underwater a given distance. Divers should be made aware of the risks of losing their skills and forgetting the rules simply by not diving often enough.

I was in Key Largo when my "instabuddy" decided to kneel on a brain coral to take a photo.

I never looked at the regulator manual but I can imagine it may say 1 diver only for the simple reason that they don't want some idiot taking people diving without equipment and have them breath off the octo. I have read stories about people doing this. Scubapro also used to do those demos with multiple divers breathing off a first stage.

You are absolutely right.
IF there's such a clause in the reg's manuals (I've never looked at one either!) it'd only be there for the protection of the manufacturer's corporate posterior, and NOT because they suspect that their reg could not supply enough air to two divers simultaneously.

I pondered if I should mention this in my previous post but eventually decided against it, as I didn't want to detract from the message to one of the previous posters, who seemed to be hesitant about sharing air via octopus with another diver.

So I'll reiterate that message again: DON'T hesitate to offer your octopus to an OOA diver - you'll both be able to breathe perfectly well from your first stage (providing there's gas in your tank!). :)

Incidently, not that long ago I bought an Apeks sidemount regulator set (brand new). The paperwork included didn't mention anything about the regulators being just for me. In fairness, the set came with a CD (or a DVD?) but, like I said, I never bothered to have a look at the instructions on it. If I can be bothered (and I can find it!) :) I might have a look if it says anything about the regs being intended solely for my own use.

Only - 'scuse the pun - don't hold your breath! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom