• Children should not dive

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • Feel strongly both ways

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • Only if parents are experienced divers

Votes: 25 30.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sixteen? Arbitrary and unsubstantiated. My 13 year old is a better diver than most adults - more conscientious, dependable, cool under pressure, straight thinking, observant, environmentally conscious, neutrally buoyant, enthusiastic and equipment savvy.
She is also a child and we don't allow her to dive without direct supervision, nor do we expect her to be able to perform as an adult buddy where strength is required - so we dive as a threesome.
You raise your kids - I'll raise mine.
Rick

Rick

At age 16 they are almost the strength of an adult, something a 12 year old does not have. I can't imagine a kid pulling off a legitimate rescue...carrying some 350lb man to shore.

At 16 they should be driving so, they have demonstrated some major responsibility there.

As I said, there are special cases. Maybe your kid is one of them. I've seen one or two like this.

Fortunately I don't have kids but, if they performed accordingly, I might let them dive.

But, as a whole I don't think it would be a good idea for an acency to start certifying kids.

Taking your child diving on your own is totally different from letting them take an agency course. Lots of liability issues there.

I have an 11 year old and a 12 year old that dive with me and the wife. I do stay at 40 ft or above when diving with them. They both are very good swimmers and they are definitely better divers then some of the adults that got certified at the same time we did.

You said it Doc.
And Tekkie If you are diving at 14 that is between
you and your parents. But if something happened
would they ever forgive themselves?
I will let my kids dive if they want to and they
have expressed an interest, when they are 16.
Again all of you that have said your 12 year olds
dive are divers yourself. If you are there to make
decisions in an emergency thats different.

I know that when my wife first started diving I
spent every minute of every dive following her
and watching her experience. If she had a problem
I was right there to help or make a split second
decision if the need arose. Not until she had 25 or so dives under her weight belt did I feel comfortable going about my buisness ( hunting lobster) while diving with her. I'm no high tech
diver like most of you with nitrox, computers and such. Just an old school navy diver. I know its dangerous. THese instructors and schools make it seem so safe and easy. BULL!
Like one instructor told my wife oh its easy you push one button you go up. Push another button to go down.
Bull.
Hold your breath die.
Surface to fast die.
Panic die.
Have equipment problems die.
While your "buddy" has his/her head in a hole looking for a bug.
I had a cousin who died diving while rescuing his buddy.
Saved his buddy but cost him his life.
I will give you one exercise to try ditch and recovery.
Do it flawlessly ten times. Then your close to knowing your equipment.
Most people will have something amiss.
Most classes don't teach that anymore.
People have a false sense of security.
And you want to task 8 year olds with this.
Its not worth the money.
Have a few accidents and diving will no longer be a self policing sport.

I agree with Rick that selecting a one size fits all minimum age limit makes little sense.

A rational analysis of all of the various considerations suggests that it is largely a case by case decision.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

ElectricZombie once bubbled...
At age 16 they are almost the strength of an adult, something a 12 year old does not have. I can't imagine a kid pulling off a legitimate rescue...carrying some 350lb man to shore.
Strength is not the issue. They are children. They are "handicapped" because they are children, and the same arguments against their ability to be effective buddies - which they are not - would apply to many elder divers and handicapped divers. If the question were "should a child be your buddy?" the answer would be a resounding "NO!" - but that ain't the question. We allow many to dive who cannot be effective buddies, and make accomodation for that - and so it is with children. I take my wife as a buddy - she's a rescue diver current in first aid, CPR etc, and she takes me as a buddy, and we take the youngest as a child diver, not as a buddy. At some point I will no longer have the strength to be an effective buddy, and I'll have to dive with my children and grandchildren as my safety divers. I hope they'll remember when it was the other way around and be just as understanding.
At 16 they should be driving so, they have demonstrated some major responsibility there.
HHHhhhaaaarrrrr! ROTFLMAO! Right! Maybe one in ten... no, make that one in a hundred.
Fortunately I don't have kids
Fortunately? Ahhh... now I see... The depth and breadth of your lack of experience revealed in that statement is positively vast, huge, big, tremendous, incalculable. Your opinions on children and their abilities are as valuable as mine are on brain surgery. That's not an insult, just a fact that will become apparent to you after you've raised your first one through the teens into adulthood.
Rick :)

I'll try to make this short...
I'm for getting babies in the water long before they can swim. I'm for getting very young children into masks & fins & snorkel long before they can use them with any competence. I'm for letting children dive long before they can be competent divers. But there is a huge caveat in those statements, and it is this: Parents are responsible for their children. Parents must be parents and know what they're doing before they cut their children loose with any activity, whether it's walking, riding a bike, shooting a shotgun or diving. There are risks particular to a child's psyche, physiology and development that must be accomodated and monitored closely as they grow and gain experience.
Let me offer a specific example from my own youth. I got my first shotgun when I was six. A shotgun in the hands of a six year old?? Preposterous, you say. Dangerous, irresponsible, right? Why the dangers to others aside, just the kick from a shotgun could injure a six year old. But the way it was done was perfectly safe. I had to carry the gun with the breach open. I had no shells. After a squirrel was treed and I had him spotted I was given one shell, and under direct supervision allowed to take my one shot. I had to observe all firearms safety rules with my open-breach, empty gun at all times. As I grew older, and demonstrated sound reasoning and safety practices, and especially barrel awareness and "all guns are always loaded" behavior the supervision was relaxed until by the time I was a teen I could go hunting on my own. As a result of my upbringing I am safe, comfortable and competent with firearms - and I am appalled at the poor firearms safety practices I see in the general public, including those who have gone through "hunter/safety" courses but weren't raised around guns.
Oh, yeah, almost forgot an important element of the training... If successful, I had to clean the squirrel myself.
Diving approached in the same way can produce safe, comfortable and competent divers.
Rick

Well said Rick. I too had a dad that took the time to teach me to hunt, our tagets were quail and pheasents, i got a 4/10 shot gun for my 10th birthday, and that was only after demenstrating the responsability and skill you describe..oh yeh and we got a retriever so dad didn't need me to run out and get the birds anymore, figured he might as well add to his fire power and send the dog.

back to diving......

you are right on about the parents taking responsability for the kids...you are not diving with a buddy but a liability, and with the same training and care you described above, they will turn into great buddies.

You need to give the kids the respect they need, but you need to watch over them as if that 10 year old was driving that car descibed above.

that was funny that the guy with the advice about 16 year olds driving, doesn't have kids...go figure

The question shouldn't be one size fits all but more at what age do you start to allow the process of evaluation.
8..12...13..16.....4 how about a 4 year old certified diver.
I would think there has to be some kind of standard.
Isn't that the actual discussion.
What age?
Am I correct to believe that you are saying NO Minimum age!

:doctor:
Yup just the same as older people. They have equipment suitable to them. Just make sure they have the maturity to scuba dive. And it helps if the parents dive as well. At what age does being a child start and stop. They have limits they will need to stay within. I have seen children help adults in many situations that even an adult may not be capable to handle. Train them to the same standards, the water environment doesnot differentiate between age or gender. I find that teaching children often easier than adults. In fact my biggest problem with teaching children is the adult.The minimumage is 10 years

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom