• Children should not dive

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • Feel strongly both ways

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • Only if parents are experienced divers

Votes: 25 30.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

my pets are fish

Sydney_Diver once bubbled...
On A different Note
Should our pets be able to dive with us as well ?

divedog2.jpg

That dog is almost a great example for all divers! NO DANGLIES! And he's right there with his budy... Too bad he's forgotten his fins and is standing on the bottom. :jester:

Anyway, I have a 12 year old nephiew that has shown some interest in diving. He likes the pictures and videos I bring back from vacation and has become quite a good swimmer. I don't think he's mature enough for SCUBA quite yet, but I think he'll be there prety soon.
I have kept my old fins and booties set aside for him as he wears the same size shoe as me - he comes up past my nose now and his dad's 6'-3"...

For anything in the US where an age is set, I feel sad for the special individuals who are held back by that unique form of discrimination. And for all the people who weren't ready I am sad that it gives them license.

As for scuba its not more dangerous than crossing the street. A recent study I read said that a child under age 10 is not qualified to cross the street unaccompanied. Frankly I've seen some adults who aren't qualified <lol>.

A. J. Shark once bubbled...
just wondering how young are we talking here??

The Ranger program deals with children that are 8 yrs up to 12 yrs, so that would be the age I am interested in.

BTW....did anyone see the movie of Benji (the dog) when he went Scuba Diving? ... don't remember the name of it, but it was a hoot!
It was great watching him dive around in that bubble head :D

When their parents think they are ready. Scuba is pretty easy. As long as the child is old enough to follow the rules, there should be no problem.

On the other hand, if everyone under 30 had to stay out of the water, there would be more room for me. Hmmm....

:)

Peter Doege

Aside from the task loading involved with diving, and the assistance of a child in an emergency, I have a separate question...

I have heard that diving can stunt the growth of children, and that we do not know what other effects that increased pressures have on a growing child's body?

Is there any truth to this, do we know anything about the increased pressures?

pdoege once bubbled...
As long as the child is old enough to follow the rules, there should be no problem.

LOL ! I know some guys that have never grown up and still don't follow the rules :D
I wonder if children would be easier to teach than some adults....hmmmm

I did read an article on children and diving, but for the most part the underlying message to me was it was speculative and had no proof. If someone knows of articles where there is more proof than speculation, let me know!

It should be viewed as a privilege. This is NOT an inalienable, granted from on high, God given right. If the Instructor or Divemaster were NOT comfortable with the child in the water, I would respect and defend their position.

There are children (as there are adults) out there that need to be discouraged from getting NEAR water. There also are children that are naturals in water and would be missing out on the rest of the planet without SCUBA. It is the latter group for whom I voted – should.

While I’m unfamiliar with the Rangers, I think the idea of exposing children at that age to SCUBA is a great adventure. I also commend you, mudguppy for considering giving your time (I assume your not getting paid – much anyway) to the kids.

While I don’t play a parent on TV, I am one in real life. I have a 9-year-old that loves to dive and is very comfortable in the water with SCUBA. One of the benefits that I’ve noticed is that my child’s confidence and ability in her schoolwork have markedly improved. After reading Dad’s PADI OW book (and being conversant in some of the terminology) and staying alive after being submerged for half an hour at a time, Reading, Riting and Rithmatic seem to come easier.

I think every parent considering SCUBA MUST look at each child and decide for themselves whether the child is mature enough physically, mentally and emotionally before they are allowed to dive.

They are associated with SSI.

It would be great if the parents could make an educated decision on whether or not the child was ready for a scuba class.
I'm afraid, tho, that the instructors are the one's that will have to make that call. Where the parents sign their kid up and say "teach them", they not always have made a good judgement call that their child is ready and capable. I just wonder if I want to take on all that decision making responsibility and then have the parents complain when I kick them out.:)

My Daughter is 12. She is awesome in the water. I have noticed a marked improvement in her self confidence (and she was already cocky little booger). Her skills in the water are remarkable...she has excellant boyancy and trim control. We (Wife and I) support her 100% we are dive buddies. We spend time in the pool with her, all of us working on our skills. We go to the lake together.
This December we will be diving in Parguera P.R. the wall begings at 60 Feet. I have every confidence in My childs Training and since we practice the drills frequently, She is very secure in her abilities and her buddies.

I support Children Diving as long as there is good comprehensive training with a great instructor.

anyway...TMTCW

Mad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom