Should a Divemaster speak up?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm currently a Dive Master Candidate. I waited to enter the program after I felt
I was confident in my ability to help the students and competently assist the instructor. I had spent enough time with my LDS before enrolling that I knew the instructors prior to getting in the water with them and their students. The instructors I work with value my opinion and asked me for assistance in recognizing students who may need extra help. The instructors would expect me to bring things to their attention. After all they are working one on one with students. Our job is to observe all the other students during that time. I would recommend that your son realize that the instructor is relying on his observations during the classes.

Ooooohhhh, you're the only "instructor" around who can certify a DM candidate.:shakehead:

If you were certifying ill-trained divers, then you need a good confronting to, that's for sure.

What's your point? Let me see if I got this straight? You're saying that a DM candidate could just go to another instructor? Good, let him. I wouldn't want my name on the card of someone who was confrontational with an instructor. I've failed quite a few candidates and open water candidates in my life. The open water candidates I failed usually passed as I would put the time into them but a professional candidate was usually given a list of things to work on and I would be willing to work with them too but several just took the easy way out and forgot about it.

BTW no professional candidate ever confronted me. On the first class I was very clear about their role which was to support the instructor in their efforts. I said that no one ever passed that made an effort to make me or any other instructor look bad.

A true professional works as a teammate not an adversary.

Yeah, heaven forbids that a DM candidate actually could recognize a diver in distress or unskilled.:shakehead:

Yep. It takes someone with an INSTRUCTOR certificate to say that a student diver is floundering and being a hazard to himself and others around him. Yessirree. The rest of us non-instructor divers are just too stupid, too ignorant and too untrained to recognize that.:idk:

Since you're such a hotshot why not turn pro instead of just flapping your lips?

At best you have zero value when it comes to training as you have NOT been trained how to train.

Actually yes it is the instructor that can say the student can or can't progress.

The divemaster is part of the coaching/instructor/development team, people part of that team need to be able to discuss student development in a professional manner with each other.

I have found that new divers really apperciate the support a divemaster provides regardless of class size. And good instructors apperciate that too plus the insight, observation and support we provide.

There are people here that have posted on this thread that instruct that I don't always agree with that I could work with as a DM if they would have me.

this is a general ethics question, more than a specific one... it also is a question of when a professional begins to own the responsibility to speak up and take responsibility for what is happening in front of them. My opinion (not being a DM or an instructor) is that they have the responsibility being a professional (even in training... just because you're in training doesn't mean ethics don't apply) to at least voice their opinion to the instructor.

in most 'normal' business a university student isn't really faced with these decisions to make, when they are a professional working in industry they *should* be equiped with the logic and ability to know right from wrong and speak up.

Confronting someone is almost always a recipe for a poor reception. People don't much like criticism, implied or overt.

it doesn't have to be blatent confrontation.... that is in the person's own ability to deal with the situation as an adult. for example you can approach the topic initially as a question on how to tutor students who obviously need it.... then go from there.

Al Mialkovysky
Are you such a stud that you dont need any assistance? You can do it all on your own?

When i was in DM training i saw several examples of this.
The worst thing a DM in training can do is just sit back and watch, okay you shouldnt just step in and sort it out yourself, that can be out of order and demeaning the instructor but you have a responsibility to that student, god help him when he goes out in open water in future!
other commentors in the post are right in saying that if you dont have a great relationship with your instructor then it just wont work out for either of you. i had a great one and we have a lot of respect for each other.

I think it is astounding the snobbery that is being displayed by certain posters.

The attitude "I am the instructor, therefore beyond question, and if I am questioned, will kick the questioner off the course" is staggering.

I hope to the heavens I never have to deal with such an egotistical attitude from an instructor and I pray that after I take my IE, I will have the sense and grace to listen to the input of others.

I have probably been diving for longer than a good number of posters on here (since 1984) and it's only recently that I decided to go pro, but for someone to be up themselves so much that they are beyond advice/suggestions/observations, is someone I never want to dive with or train with

Since I can not always be everywhere at all times, I utilize my Dive Cons as another pair of eyes, ears & hands. Of course, they have limitations, that is understandable & they must remain within those limitations, but I will utilize them up to those limitations. They are an invaluable asset to me & I respect any input about a student that they may have. They are professionals also & I extend to them that courtesy. They worked hard for it & they deserve that at a minimum & IMO so much more.:cool2: I really can't thank them enough for their service.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom