Shortening a wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubaaaronh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife being a shorter women and a little heavy had to get a mens wetsuit 7mm, which in turn had sleeves and legs that were way to long. I talked to a couple shops and the one owner had a similar dilema with his wife. He told me i could cut off the legs and sleeves to the length needed. His wifes suit is on its third year and is still holding up. The reason i decided to do this instead of having it professionally done is she is doing weight watchers and will need a new suit next summer. He also said i needed to use seal cement and aquaseal to hold the edges together so they wouldn't fray, and may have to take material out to trim it to fit. I decided to try this on an old suit first. The only problem was the sleeves when cutting them back made the wrist openings larger. The ankles fit well with boots under. For the sleeves i had to cut triangles about 5 inches long out to make the fit snug around the wrists. Then for the new seam i used seal cement to glue the edges by following the instructions. After this drien i put a thin bead of aquaseal over the new seam. and let it dry. After doing this i put a bottle inside each sleeve and ankle then put masking tape about 1/16 inch from the edge and used the seal cement on the edge to prevent fraying, and put a dot on the old stitching to lock it. After the first coat dried on the sleev ends i put on a second coat. After setting for 24 hours we tried to pull the new seam apart on the sleeve, i was worrind that the glue and aquaseal wouldn't hold up, to my surprise we troe the sleeve but not at the newly created seam. Looks like this is going to work. We started on her suit last night and cut it back. The ankles in her suit fit perfectly. the wrists need the triangles cut and new seams done. What we are going to do on her suit is take some nylon upholstery thread and do a loop stitch over the cemented seam then put aquaseal oveR and under the seam.

I'm interested to know how the DIY wetsuit alters turn out. . .I'm short too and somewhat tired of rolling up the legs and arms on wetsuits but don't really want to go custom. I'm planning on trying out a Hyperstretch to see how it does since they're suppose to be more forgiven on getting a good fit.
I have access to an industrial strength sewing maching and a mother that's good at alterations, so we'll see how it goes if it comes to a self alteration.
I know the ultimate answer - go custom. Maybe one of these years.

eckybay:
I'm interested to know how the DIY wetsuit alters turn out. . .I'm short too and somewhat tired of rolling up the legs and arms on wetsuits but don't really want to go custom. I'm planning on trying out a Hyperstretch to see how it does since they're suppose to be more forgiven on getting a good fit.
I have access to an industrial strength sewing maching and a mother that's good at alterations, so we'll see how it goes if it comes to a self alteration.
I know the ultimate answer - go custom. Maybe one of these years.

I will have it done tonight and will post some pics if i get time. We are going to whitestar quarry (near gibsonburg OH) this saturday be there hopefully around 9 am if ya want to take a look.

I would think that her glove gauntlets would take care of the loose wrist seals.

Just a thought.

Why don't consider costume make.

Jason
scubaaaronh:
My wife being a shorter women and a little heavy had to get a mens wetsuit 7mm, which in turn had sleeves and legs that were way to long. I talked to a couple shops and the one owner had a similar dilema with his wife. He told me i could cut off the legs and sleeves to the length needed. His wifes suit is on its third year and is still holding up. The reason i decided to do this instead of having it professionally done is she is doing weight watchers and will need a new suit next summer. He also said i needed to use seal cement and aquaseal to hold the edges together so they wouldn't fray, and may have to take material out to trim it to fit. I decided to try this on an old suit first. The only problem was the sleeves when cutting them back made the wrist openings larger. The ankles fit well with boots under. For the sleeves i had to cut triangles about 5 inches long out to make the fit snug around the wrists. Then for the new seam i used seal cement to glue the edges by following the instructions. After this drien i put a thin bead of aquaseal over the new seam. and let it dry. After doing this i put a bottle inside each sleeve and ankle then put masking tape about 1/16 inch from the edge and used the seal cement on the edge to prevent fraying, and put a dot on the old stitching to lock it. After the first coat dried on the sleev ends i put on a second coat. After setting for 24 hours we tried to pull the new seam apart on the sleeve, i was worrind that the glue and aquaseal wouldn't hold up, to my surprise we troe the sleeve but not at the newly created seam. Looks like this is going to work. We started on her suit last night and cut it back. The ankles in her suit fit perfectly. the wrists need the triangles cut and new seams done. What we are going to do on her suit is take some nylon upholstery thread and do a loop stitch over the cemented seam then put aquaseal oveR and under the seam.

scubaaaronh:
I will have it done tonight and will post some pics if i get time. We are going to whitestar quarry (near gibsonburg OH) this saturday be there hopefully around 9 am if ya want to take a look.

I'll be sure to check out the pics if you get them posted. I already have plans to be at Gilboa on Saturday, so I'll have to pass on seeing it in person.

Jason Ooi:
Why don't consider costume make.

Jason

Because she is loosing weight and it wont fit her in a year and we got this suit next to nothing. So we figured make this one work and buy a new one in a year or two when she gets to the weight she wants to be again.

Back
Top Bottom