Short Trip to the Yucatan - maybe see some whale sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LVX

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hello All,

I want to take a quick trip to the Yucatan from July 1 (leaving in the PM) and returning on July 4th (leaving in the PM). I thought about going to Holbox to see the whale sharks but logistically it is difficult to get to Holbox for such a short trip. Any other suggestions. I have been to Cozumel, Cancun and Playa too many times.

Any other thoughts down that way?

Layne

Aerosaab does an air transfer from either Cancun or PDC. Expensive but the most seamless way to get there. I haven't done it but, apparently there are some dive ops in Cancun that are going out into the channel to see the sharks before they get to Holbox. A couple of people on the Mexico board were talking about it a while back. Here is the link to Aerosaab, Aerosaab, Airplane Tours from Playa del Carmen to Chichen Itza Mayan Ruins, Holbox

Yeah, logistically it is proving difficult for such a short trip. I am thinking it will be Cozumel again just because it is very easy... Now, I need a really nice cool hotel...

Layne

Layne,

We just got back from COZ and when to Isla Muejerues and Contoy to do the whale sharks. Learned a valuable lesson... if you go on a specific whale shark expedition all you can legally do is snorkel with them which is really awesome, BUT...

If you find an operator who is diving in the area and there happen to be whale sharks well that would be much more awesome...

Also, if you are going to make the trip in the morning from COZ to Cancun make sure and check the day of the week for the ferry... They are now alternating early departures from COZ and we ended up spending the night in PDC so we could make the whale shark charter...

Have fun and look forward to another Ouchita trip when the water warms up...

Charlie and Donna

Layne,

I went with my wife (non diver) to Isla Mujeres and it was a blast for both of us. Romantic and all. Note all the dive sites are the same as Coz Cancun and playa for the most part.

Holbox is a delightful village and yeah, you can get there in time for dinner if you fly in early enough. All you said was PM? :confused: We did 3 dives in PDC, checked out of the hotel, drove to Valladoldid the wrong way, got lost, and still got to the dock in time to hire a private boat over, was met by a golf cart & driver, unloaded at the hotel, and ate - then caught the 7am boat the next day. If you take the correct road, it should go much easier, depending on what time you arrive in CUN? DO NOT TAKE THE TOLL ROAD SHORTCUT FROM THE AIRPORT! You have to go into the city, then take the free road that goes thru villages and over speed bumps, but it's not bad. Here is a detailed, zoomable map: http://www.locogringo.com/lgunet/images/maps/roads/masterQR.png

Note 1: There is a lesser road on the map south of Cancun that cuts to 180 Libre. I don't know anything about it.

Note 2: There is a lessor road on the map Valladolid Nuevo to Vicente Guerrero that I have heard is ok and a good way to save miles.

Note 3: After we got lost and turned around at Valladolid, we went north from El Ideal to Chiquilla, in the dark, dodging potholes, and returned that way to 180 Libre back to Cancun. I guess the potholes are still there?

Note 4: Top off your gas tank in Cancun before heading out, and in Chiquilla before parking as the Chiquilla station was not open when we returned. :eek: You can get really good maps at cancunmap.com-Your information source that include locations of gas stations and more.

We spent 3 nights at Holbox Dream, who set up our snorkel trips, left early on the final day, drove to CUN, turned in our car, changed shirts and flew home ok. You are required to wear a neoprene suit or a life jacket, the latter causing a lot of drag, so we took snorkel vests which worked well. No flash photos, so I shot video. You certainly want your own snorkel, mask, and fins.

All that said, there are Ops that pickup around Cancun which you may find easier, and you may end up swimming with the dominoes in clearer water as some of the herd goes back east sometime in the summer, and many prefer to go out of Isla Mujeres. You'll find more info in threads in the Mexico forum.

Back
Top Bottom