Short/small backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just pulled up pictures of the techline 16 peanut wing and the slots look shorter than the HOG single tank wings we have....without measurements I would not be able to confirm if the Techline Peanut wing would work with the subGravity plate.

Sorry,
-Z

No need to be sorry! I appreciate your guidance. Am I to assume that adding a STA might overcome the problem if the slots don't line up? (I can't quite picture it)

If I knew how, I'd try and overlay your backplate image onto this picture to see if it lines up!
upload_2020-8-16_13-44-35.png

You're right that the slots are not long, but their position is clearest on this camo style

I am not trying to push Edge-HOG wings/products, I am just using them as an example. Compare the slots between the two brands:
upload_2020-8-16_14-48-8.png

upload_2020-8-16_14-49-21.png

-Z

I am not sure of the brand of the STA I have on-hand....though I think it could be a Dive Rite.

It measures approximately 15-1/16th inch (38.3cm) long.

The bolt holes are drilled 11-inches apart on center.

With the top hole of the STA aligned with the lower of the pair of holes at the top of the plate, the STA overhangs the top edge of the plate by approximately 1/4th of an inch, and overhangs the bottom of the plate by approximately a little over 1-inch.

I received this STA unexpectedly when I purchased a used wing from a fellow board member awhile back....I have never had a need to use it, and I have no experience with other STAs to make a length comparison.

-Z

No need to be sorry! I appreciate your guidance. Am I to assume that adding a STA might overcome the problem if the slots don't line up? (I can't quite picture it)

The tank straps would thread through STA independent of the wing amd plate, so yes it would overcome this problem....the STA I have would probably not work thoughh as the slots are too close to the ends to cut it short enough as the lower end of the lower slot lines up with the edge of the plate when lined up as described earlier. That would require cutting the entire end of this STA off upto the end of the slot:

20200816_151834.jpg

If you go the STA route and cannot find a short one or one with slots closer together so that it can be cut down, then Dive Rite makes this product called a Tranpac tank stabilizer that may work for you:

upload_2020-8-16_15-24-20.png

But unless there is something specific about the techline peanut wing that you really like, I would suggest going with a different brand so that you won't need to use an STA....unless you can confirm whether or not the techline wing will line up properly.

To help you figure this out, the grommets on both HOG and Dive Rite wings we have are nominally 24mm in diameter. My guess is the grommets on the Techline wing are the same size....that should help you take measurments from the pictures and compare them to the plate pictures and measurements I posted.

-Z

If you want to stick with Techline wings, their donut wings will surely fit the SubGravity small plate....they come in different lift sizes and colors. Here is an example to see the slot configuration:

upload_2020-8-16_15-44-27.png

-Z

Thank you. I was interested specifically in the peanut because of it's lift capacity in relation to it's size. At the moment in my (stupid) aeris which I've struggled with for 8+ years, I am swamped by 'bladder' and impenetrable pockets on the surface, and faffing around trying (unsuccessfully) to tighten it while under water! I just want something simple and little and streamlined, but suitable for cold water, drysuit, rhib diving as well as the holday stuff. It would really help if I could see what a wing looks like on a small woman. The majority of members in our club are male!

On a weekday I will ask the supplier if the peanut fits the other plates he stocks (scubapro and xdeep), and maybe go from there. Thank you again for your help

Thank you. I was interested specifically in the peanut because of it's lift capacity in relation to it's size. At the moment in my (stupid) aeris which I've struggled with for 8+ years, I am swamped by 'bladder' and impenetrable pockets on the surface, and faffing around trying (unsuccessfully) to tighten it while under water! I just want something simple and little and streamlined, but suitable for cold water, drysuit, rhib diving as well as the holday stuff. It would really help if I could see what a wing looks like on a small woman. The majority of members in our club are male!

Here are some pictures of my wife on her last outing. She is 5ft2in tall and is using our daughter's regular size HOG aluminium plate with a single length of continuous webbing (hogarthian syle) harness, a Dive Rite Voyager Exp wing (@ 32lbs lift), Dive Rite QB 16lb weight pockets, and a 12 liter steel tall tank. Her Primary 2nd stage is on a 40-inch hose with a 70 degree elbow adapter, octo 2nd stage on a 22-inch hose.

I threaded her new plate yesterday and we have not had the chance to adjust it to her yet so no pictures of her with it...yet.

20200621_113805.jpg
20200621_145818.jpg

20200621_155028.jpg

You can see in the last picture that the waist strap sits too low and the plate extends past her waist.

-Z

Back
Top Bottom