Short/small backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Call John @ NESS, I believe that he has small SS plates in stock in addition to the AL. Oxcheq Stainless Steel Backplate -- Small

It seems like the Oxycheq stainless backplates do not have slots for cambands...is this correct? My wife does not really want to use an STA if it can be avoided.

-Z

It seems like the Oxycheq stainless backplates do not have slots for cambands...is this correct? My wife does not really want to use an STA if it can be avoided.

-Z
The stainless plates were used as the reference for the aluminum blem plates that needed the lower band slots machined (only had the upper slots - hence "blems".) They should look like these, but in SS: Oxycheq Aluminum Backplate - Small Size - Blem

My suggestion is to call or email John and specifically confirm it. I could have the wrong link for the SS plates, or maybe the ones used for reference weren't entered into stock yet ...

Perhaps get someone to cut cam band slots in a small SS plate if you don't want to go the route of a STA or the aluminum option...

The stainless plates were used as the reference for the aluminum blem plates that needed the lower band slots machined (only had the upper slots - hence "blems".) They should look like these, but in SS: Oxycheq Aluminum Backplate - Small Size - Blem

My suggestion is to call or email John and specifically confirm it. I could have the wrong link for the SS plates, or maybe the ones used for reference weren't entered into stock yet ...

Yup, I saw the picture and description at that link yesterday...we were hoping to find a SS plate so she does not need to carry as much lead on her waist/hips. The pictures of the Oxycheq SS plates on the NESS website do not depict slots for cam straps:

oxycheqss__02479.1367858919.500.750.jpg

I will give them a call to confirm this though.

-Z

you do realize there is a very small difference in weight between the two plates......

1# vs. 4#

Perhaps get someone to cut cam band slots in a small SS plate if you don't want to go the route of a STA or the aluminum option...
Yep, layout the slots, have a beer, drill holes in the ends, have a beer, jig saw the slots out, beer, dremal or sand the edges, beer, go diving.

So the pictures from the NESS website do not show slots on the stainless oxycheq backplates but I called John and he personally checked the plates and stated they 2 sets of slots for cam straps.

I also had a brief discussion today with a rep from DRIS via their chat feature and they are just getting in some small stainless backplates made by Subgravity.

Was hoping to buy used to save a few clams.

Need to discuss with my wife if she wants an uncoated aluminum oxycheq and spray paint it to customize it or if she wants a stainless one.

-Z

I actually need to send a picture and dimensions to a local business that does electro-static coatings. They said they could do "tree-frog green" (what the wife wants) fairly inexpensively.... We used them to put a coating on file cabinets in my office that is very durable. They said it should be great on the back plate...

Did you paint it/clear-coat it or do anything else to protect it?

-Z
I found a local shop to hard anodize for $25. Looks super nice. If that had fallen through, I was going to go with an etching primer and enamel spray paint.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom