Short/small backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Following this thread because, honestly, my wife needs a short plate, but I'm not willing to pay a premium for the short plates on the market..... (In all likelihood, I'll probably end up having one waterjet cut...but hoping for better)

Oxycheq is asking wayyyy too much for their shorty plates, IMO

Following this thread because, honestly, my wife needs a short plate, but I'm not willing to pay a premium for the short plates on the market..... (In all likelihood, I'll probably end up having one waterjet cut...but hoping for better)

Oxycheq is asking wayyyy too much for their shorty plates, IMO
SS or Al?

oxycheq is still cheaper than halcyon. i am surprised there isn't demand from asia for short pattern backplates.

SS or Al?

SS probably... we're tropical, but I think better to minimize the additional lead for her. With the stab-jackets she's rented, her lead has been from 6 to 10 lbs, depending on the BC. But with SS plate, I'm guessing she'll only be carrying 4 to 6 pounds.

For me, this is all future research. She'll be diving my Outlaw when I get the small back assembly, and I'll be moving to SS. Eventually, I will put her on SS and probably sell the Outlaw to someone who travels more, or keep it for visitors.

SS probably... we're tropical, but I think better to minimize the additional lead for her. With the stab-jackets she's rented, her lead has been from 6 to 10 lbs, depending on the BC. But with SS plate, I'm guessing she'll only be carrying 4 to 6 pounds.

For me, this is all future research. She'll be diving my Outlaw when I get the small back assembly, and I'll be moving to SS. Eventually, I will put her on SS and probably sell the Outlaw to someone who travels more, or keep it for visitors.

Typically she will need less ballast overall with a bp, particularly if you go with an unpadded harness as there is no padding to provide positive buoyancy. The subtract a lb of lead from the belt or pockets for every lb that the backplate weighs. It is still best to do a proper weight check in the water with a tank around 500psi/50bar.

If you are traveling to tropical locations then you might find the lighter aluminum plates are better for baggage weight allowance.

-Z

i have a new unused Halcyon small stainless steel bp. make me a fair offer and would be willing to chat. send me a pm. Bought it for my daughter who isnt going to use it.

Follow up:

We decided to purchase a stainless steel size small SubGravity plate through DRIS. This is not currently available on their website and they do not know if it will be but can be purchased by contacting them via their chat feature or by calling the store. The cost was $94 shipped.

Initial inspection has me impressed.

I will take some pictures of it overlayed on either my daughter's HOG aluminum or my Dive Rite Stainless plate....whichever pictures come out better....just need a few days as work and school has me suffering from lack of sleep.

-Z

Here is the SubGravity plate overlaid on my Dive Rite plate.

First pic is centered (more or less) side to side with bottom edges of both plates aligned:
20200729_194041.jpg

Second pic is with bottom edge and one side edge aligned:
20200729_194152.jpg

-Z

We have a pair of Dive RIte Voyager wings and a pair of Edge-HOG wings.

Due to the center panel construction of the Dive RIte wings, there is no doubt they will work with the SubGravity small plate.

The Edge-HOG wings have long slots in the center panel for cam straps....they line up as well....though moving the wing upwards/downwards on the plate to accommodate trim via wing position is not really possible.

Wings that will most likely not work with this plate are ones that have short slots for cam straps that are spaced far apart....but I imagine that other wings with long slots will not have any issues.

If anyone following or coming across this thread who might be considering this plate and wants/needs measurements just let me know.

-Z

If anyone following or coming across this thread who might be considering this plate and wants/needs measurements just let me know.

-Z

Yes please! I'm particularly curious about the distance between the cam-band slots, and the distance between the top cam-band and the top pair of STA holes.... (I assume the two sets of STA holes are 11" center, correct?). And what is the overall length? Looks to be about 13 1/2"?

Back
Top Bottom