Short/small backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Based on the dry fitting, with cylinder, would you like to see it a bit shorter or not necessary?

Not sure if shorter would be necessary, and it is surprissing the difference that the approx 1.6 inches difference in length makes. Perhaps slightly shorter could be useful but I am not sure how much as it would be anatomy/comfort dependent and my wife has not had it on enough to really determine that.

If you are having a custom plate made, then I recommend taking some carton/cardboard and cutting some templates in diff sizes and checking how they line up on your wife's back.

Just realize that their is an ideal fit of the plate when dry fit on a diver standing in a vertical position, which is sort of tossed out the window once a tank is mounted as the weight causes it to shift from that position.....things would re-approximate the ideal when in the water due to the reduced weight of the tank due to buoyancy.

-Z

Yes, I totally plan on doing a few cut-outs before sending the plans for fabrication.

So far, my "design" appears to be compatible with most systems available (as far as STA holes, cam bands, shoulder slots, bends, etc...). I'm trying to decide how important a slight bend at the bottom corners might be for the ladies... My original plans do include the bent bottom corners, but that also sort of pushes the waist slots up a bit (clear of the bend).... It really seems like a delicate balance between plate length, waist slot position, and weight distribution/comfort....

If anyone has any thoughts on that matter, please feel free to chime in!

Yes, I totally plan on doing a few cut-outs before sending the plans for fabrication.

So far, my "design" appears to be compatible with most systems available (as far as STA holes, cam bands, shoulder slots, bends, etc...). I'm trying to decide how important a slight bend at the bottom corners might be for the ladies... My original plans do include the bent bottom corners, but that also sort of pushes the waist slots up a bit (clear of the bend).... It really seems like a delicate balance between plate length, waist slot position, and weight distribution/comfort....

If anyone has any thoughts on that matter, please feel free to chime in!
Regarding the bend at the bottom, you might look at just rolling the very bottom 1/2 inc or so outward/away from the body. Just enough to get rid of the "Sharp" edge that could dig at the back, rather than the largish bent corners on some factory plates. I'm thinking along the lines of the rolled edge on Freedom Plates.

Respectfully,

James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom