Short/small backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes please! I'm particularly curious about the distance between the cam-band slots, and the distance between the top cam-band and the top pair of STA holes.... (I assume the two sets of STA holes are 11" center, correct?). And what is the overall length? Looks to be about 13 1/2"?

(A) Overall length is @ 35.5cm (just shy of 14inches)

(B) Distance between cam strap slots vertically is @ 8.3cm (bottom of upper slot to top of lower slot)

(C) Distance between left and right side cam strap slots is @ 5.3cm on center of slots.

(D) The pairs of holes for STA bolts are @28cm (11 inches) on center apart respectively.

(E) Distance from top of upper cam strap slot to center of upper STA bolt hole at top of plate is @ 7.0cm.

(F) Distance from top of upper cam strap slot to center of lower STA bolt hole at top of plate is @ 4.5cm.

upload_2020-7-30_11-30-41.png

-Z

Edit: Added a PDF of the embedded image so it can be zoomed in on and easier to see the data.

Attachments

• SubGravity small plate dimensions.pdf
    159.5 KB · Views: 104
Wow, amazing job, perfectly detailed!! Thanks Zef, I think I owe you a beer for that
:cheers:

No worries...Come to Belgium and I'll treat you to some really good beer.

I will post a picture with crosswise measurements when I get a chance.

-Z

upload_2020-7-31_23-36-27.png

Attachments

• subgravity 2.pdf
    131.3 KB · Views: 77

Hi Zef, I believe this is what I'm looking for. I'm 5'1" 120lb and looking to go from an ill-fitting 'woman's cut' BCD to a BP/W. After hours and hours researching, I have realised that even the BP/W option needs customising for a small lady!
I have been looking at the Tecline Peanut 16 (initially because it was being marketed as being suitable for the smaller framed person). However, dimensions of backplates are hard to come by, and having watched a very in depth video about the importance of backplate size, I realised that I definitely need a smaller one. BUT, there are definitely some gaps in my knowledge. Can you please tell me if I can use this backplate with a single tank, without the need of an STA? If not, where would I purchase an STA in this smaller size? Secondly, I was hoping to use a DIR harness with a cinch adjustment. The cinch adjuster that comes with the Peanut range, requires two holes in the backplate to bolt it on, above and below the waist slots. I know there are other adjusters that you can buy, but they do seem ridiculously expensive. I am thinking it's probably quite feasible to make a diy one, but if there's something out there that's reasonably priced and easy to come by, all the better. Would you have any suggestions? Oh! And does anyone know where I can find technical data about the Tecline range (measurements etc)? I suspect like many manufacturers, they prefer you to buy everything from them, rather than mixing and matching! Thank you

And another question . . . could you please tell me the weight of the backplate? Thank you :)

I've just seen that Subgravity also sell harness sliders so that answers that question, and research told me the short 3mm ss backplate is 1.78kg, so that's those 2 questions answered! II'm still not clear about the STA and whether the Tecline Peanut 16 will measure up to fit backplates by other manufacturers (fixings to the backplate and tank band positions) :-D

And another question . . . could you please tell me the weight of the backplate? Thank you :)

The SubGravity short stainless backplate weighs aproximately 4lb.

You can use any harness system that would work with a regular size backplate but one should note that any proprietary fittings from a manufacturer to specifically interface (bolt) to that manufacturers backplate may not line up and attach correctly with another manufacturer's plate.

The good news is that most of the adjustable harnesses do not have bolt to playe attachments.

Another area to consider is the location of the slots in the plate with the slots in the wing you plan to use. If the slots in the wing are short it requires a more precise match with the plate that it will be used with.

I have Edge-HOG wings and Dive Rite wings in our equipment arsenal and neither have any design issues that negativley impact the alignment of plate and wing.

No STA is needed for a single tank setup using the Subgravity short plate.....as long as the wing slots line up.....take a look at whichever wing you intend to buy and buy one with longer slots rather than shorter....I think in addition to the wings I mentioned above, DGX and Apeks among others have longer slots for cross-compatibility with different plates.

Techline products have been growing in popularity where I live (Belgium)...but I dont know much specifically about thheir wings...if you like their wings look at pictures to check if they have long or short slots, if they are long you should be fine using it with a SubG plate.

Other than the tank straps lining up there is nothing else that is compulsory to line up....attaching the wing to the plate is more a convenience as opposed to a requireme as the tank will hold the wing in position just fine once the plate and wing are attached, and the tank straps will hold the wing adequately to the plate while you get things situated on the tank.

Also, the slot to slot alignment is more important if using 2 tanks straps which I recommend but if you use only one it is much less of an issue to worry about.

Hope that helps.

-Z

That helps enormously. Thank you! 2 tank straps would definitely be my choice. I'll take a closer look at the Peanut slots. If only they supplied measurements like your helpful pictures above! Thank you Zed

In case it matters, the holes down the center of the plate are drilled 11-inches on center respectivley....any STA drilled the same could therefore be used. If the STA is too long and extends beyond the length of the plate, the ends if the STA can be cut off with a hacksaw and filed/ground/dremelled/sanded smooth.

An aluminum STA would be easier to modify than a steel one.

I am currently out but will check the STA I have in the garage against the SubG plate for length when I get home later today.

-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom